Scott Backes Slideshow June 5, 2003

jon

Who: Scott Backes

When: Thursday June 5, 2003 7:30 PM

Where: Second Ascent in Ballard

How Much: Free, but donation encouraged

This show is being brought to you by the local AAC chapter, Second Ascent, and CC.com. There will be a gear raffle at the show, and a Pub Club after the show. Props to brother Beck for throwing this gig together.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott will be showing slides from 5 of him most impactful trips, including the 2000 assault of the Czech direct route on McKinley, as well as some Canadian Rockies and S.A. trips spanning two decades of climbing.

His focus with this slide show (from how he explained it to me, my apologies, Scott, if i don't get this right) is the importance of mentors in the climbing world, how climbing would not be where it was today if it weren't for the old guard passing down the secrets,showing other climbers the ropes, so to speak.

• 3 weeks later...

He is also doing a slide show down in bend w/in the same time period. I dont remember when/where. You can probably find out thru the climbing shop outside smith. I believe they are cosponsoring it, along with the cascade mountaineers (?is there such thing?).

I just spent a day climbing with scott. Ive known him very casually over the past few years. Recently I have gotten to know him better. He has been very inspirational to me and would HIGHLY reccomend attending if at all possible.

anybody want to hit up the ballard bowl with me before the show? (when i say "hit up" i really mean stand a foot-and-a-half back from the coping and watch other people rip it up -- although i do like to slide down in there from time to time to try to carve a little ... and i'm almost ready to try dropping in the shallow side.)

The Scott Backes slide show last night rockband.gif ed!!

It was refreshinglydifferent than any other slideshow that I'd ever seen. You never know what you'll get when you go see a slideshow. A lot of them surprisingly suck, due to the presenter (no matter how badass they may be, I find that is totally irrelevant) being a terrible speaker, a terrible story teller, a terrible photographer, etc etc. The reason Scott's was great was because he is a very eloquent speaker and storyteller, and he really focused a lot on the deeper psychological side of climbing. He didn't just go on and on about each and every pitch of a climb blah blah blah, but actually went into great depth about his mental preparations for trips, his motivations and emotions surrounding expeditions and friendships, the general psychology on why he climbs and what he gets out of it. Scott seems to be one of the few people that has thought about and can actually put all this emotional and psychological stuff into words, and he does it very eloquently. The slideshow was definitely in a class above any other I've ever seen. It was very inspirational.

A big thanks to Scott for coming out and rockband.gifing the house last night (and going drinkin' with the crew as well)! And a thanks to the organizers for throwing this thing together. Nice work.