Self Loading Camming Devices

catturdeat

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SLCDs are gonna set you back no matter what kind you go. I have a full rack of BD, augmented by metolius TCUs, some Tricams, and of course, all sorts of passive gear. Go with what feels good to you. I like all my gear, and it is all useful, so I have no preference either way for Spring loaders crazy.gif Just make sure the pro you're using feels good to you while your feet are skating out of the crack, your power's fading, and your last piece is 15 ft away. the_finger.gif Fun fun fun!

catbirdseat said:

For info on Self-Loading devices you might talk to Trask and GregW about that. They have semi-automatics and such that can fire as fast as you can squeeze the trigger.

I also own only self-loaders. The cheaper and some of the older ones jam easily. When that happens, they hang. Lowering and cycling the action may clear the jam. Then you can send the target. Better-quality self-loaders have 2-stage triggers that can be adjusted to respond to very light inputs, so light that extensive practice under controlled "gym" conditions are required before you can release them under field conditions with any chance of sending the target. However, with careful, intentional practice, it may be possible to send a single 3,000 foot pitch with one pull. In the range of devices less than 5/10", some have sent pitches 3,600' but that's very rare. At 5/10", pitches more than 5,000' can go in one pull, but those SL'ers are inconvenient to rack.

Edited by A7U

A7U said:

catbirdseat said:

For info on Self-Loading devices you might talk to Trask and GregW about that. They have semi-automatics and such that can fire as fast as you can squeeze the trigger.

I also own only self-loaders. The cheaper and some of the older ones jam easily. When that happens, they hang. Lowering and cycling the action may clear the jam. Then you can send the target. Better-quality self-loaders have 2-stage triggers that can be adjusted to respond to very light inputs, so light that extensive practice under controlled "gym" conditions are required before you can release them under field conditions with any chance of sending the target. However, with careful, intentional practice, it may be possible to send a single 3,000 foot pitch with one pull. In the range of devices less than 5/10", some have sent pitches 3,600' but that's very rare. At 5/10", pitches more than 5,000' can go in one pull, but those SL'ers are inconvenient to rack.

thumbs_up.gif

bunglehead said:

Excellent point. I've been wondering how to get these things to stay on those bolt thingies. There's got to be a better way madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifboxing_smiley.gif Say, what are those bolt thingies for anyway? I never have anything I want to leave up there, so what's the point?

I think you put your pinky through the hole and pull.

A7U said:

catbirdseat said:

This is very valable information. I had no idea that some gyms are so tall, where is the one you go to this tall? How much do this self locking cramping devices whey?

• 1 year later...