D'n'B tUeSdAyS aT tHe BaLtIc RoOm

thelawgoddess

tonight - may 13

headliner: STORM (metalheadz, uk)

opener: SLANTOOTH (compound records)

STORM: "... in 1994, goldie, who had by this time become a leading force in the [drum and bass] movement, established metalheadz records, which kemistry and storm helped him to manage. in large part an homage to those who had brought him to and nurtured goldie in drum 'n' bass music, metalheadz became an incubator for drum 'n' bass talent, with kemistry and storm dead center in the eye of the huricane." // kemistry was killed in a car accident in 1999, but storm lives on and continues to be a legend in our time ...

SLANTOOTH: a local ...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

erik said:

it is a weak scene!

glare.gif whatever, dude. different dj's every week, so if you chose to go when there were shitty dj's there then that's your loss. every time i've gone it's been LIVE, FULL, *and* HOPPING until they turned the lights back on and sent us home. slantooth rocks, and storm is one of the women who started d'n'b -- so tonight should be one of the better shows they've had in awhile. the baltic room also boasts the longest running d'n'b night in seattle. honestly, it ain't always THE SHIT, and it ain't ever loud enough ... but it's always better than any other d'n'b night in the area.

Only a bit related -

“The latest copy of Music Week lands dop on my floor. I gloss over such fascinating topics as Courtney Love's new album, and "HMV pulling out stops for Madonna PA", and land on Page 3 "UK publisher owed £1.5m as Dr Dre loses sample dispute". This dispute is, in fact, not about a sample, it is about ownership of the notes of a bassline. Dr Dre replayed note for note the bassline from Fatback Band's "Backstrokin'" (??) under his track "Let's Get High", arguing that it was not possible to protect the bass line notes. He lost the case, and the publisher, John Fogarty, says that it would be absurd if you could not protect defining basslines such as "Backstrokin" or "Another one bites the dust" (although I recall Queen saying that this owed something to Chic…)

I am sure all this is absolutely right – although I cannot help thinking that the basslines in rock music are a much more dangerous area, as they are often not "written" by the "writer". Entwhistle's contribution to Who tunes can clearly be heard by comparing the final masters with Townsend's demos. And what of the wonderful bassline to Paul Simon's "Kodachrome" (as played by T Lev), or the guitar line on "Heroes" by Bowie & Eno. Are these contributions part of the "publishing" or not? If they are, then that surely would strengthen the argument of those session musicians and minor members, who feel that they should be receiving a share of the publishing. “

PP bigdrink.gif

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

To quote Mr. Pete Miser, former MC of the pretty much defunked 5 Fingers of Funk, "say 'heck no!' to techno!"

the_finger.gif

rockband.gif

5FF WAS/IS THE MO FAWKIN SHIZZ NIZZLE!

SAW THEM WHEN I WAS 16 AT LALUNA AND WAS HOOKED!!!!

ALSO SAW BODYCOUNT AND THE URGE THERE TOO!

MAN WHAT EVER HAPPEND TO THAT PLACE??

TECHNO HAS ITS PLACE.......THE CLIMBING GYM!

No shame in lovin' techno: trance is cool. d&B gets a bit boring after a while. Gotta go to Ibiza for the full-fledged experience. Most Eurotrash kids go when they finish high-school. I went when I was 18 with 8 buddies. Had the fricking time of our lives! I agree that some trance can be cheesy but there's no better music for working out to or getting psyched up before a game, except maybe Ramstein!!!

JGowans said:

No shame in lovin' techno: trance is cool. d&B gets a bit boring after a while. Gotta go to Ibiza for the full-fledged experience. Most Eurotrash kids go when they finish high-school. I went when I was 18 with 8 buddies. Had the fricking time of our lives! I agree that some trance can be cheesy but there's no better music for working out to or getting psyched up before a game, except maybe Ramstein!!!

most don't go to ibiza...that shit's expensive! smileysex5.gif

Fence_Sitter said:

[most don't go to ibiza...that shit's expensive! smileysex5.gif

Look FS, let's get one thing clear...you lived in EASTERN EUROPE where most people consider a trip to the adjacent EASTERN EUROPEAN country an exotic location. We WESTERN EUROS head to either the Balearic Islands, the Canary Islands, or the Greek Islands for our shits and giggles.

You've now spent a semester in Eastern Euroland and are now telling me what most Euro kids do and don't do. Maybe before the next time I head home to Scotland I'll ask you for beta on fun shit to do there wazzup.gif

JGowans said:

Fence_Sitter said:

[most don't go to ibiza...that shit's expensive! smileysex5.gif

Look FS, let's get one thing clear...you lived in EASTERN EUROPE where most people consider a trip to the adjacent EASTERN EUROPEAN country an exotic location. We WESTERN EUROS head to either the Balearic Islands, the Canary Islands, or the Greek Islands for our shits and giggles.

You've now spent a semester in Eastern Euroland and are now telling me what most Euro kids do and don't do. Maybe before the next time I head home to Scotland I'll ask you for beta on fun shit to do there wazzup.gif

actually i lived in leeds for a year and a half... smileysex5.gifyou

Fence_Sitter said:actually i lived in leeds for a year and a half... smileysex5.gifyou

Leeds sux bigtime. I'd consider Leeds, Sheffield, Grimsby and all those other northern shitey industrial towns to be on a par with some nasty Eastern Euro backwater towns.

Btw, I recall that 11 years ago when I went to Ibiza, we paid less than $400 for a 2 week package holiday...flights & accomodation. Saved the pennies from working in a hardware store on Sundays when I shoulda been at church. Not that expensive amigo.