Cascade mtn bikers.com

sketchfest

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you are looking for hard info and not a guess but I'll give my 2 cents anyway. I haven't been up there yet this year, but I would guess that there is still a good amount of snow on the trail-- I rode Dog River in early June last year and there was still a lot of snow near the top where Surveyor's intersects. You can try calling All Season Sports or Mountain View Bicycles in HR to get a better idea. If you get any better info, please post it.

For that matter, anyone know if the Devils Gulch ride near Cashmere is clear of snow yet? the access road tops out at ~5600'. It was hard to tell from local webcams and area info. It's that top 1000' of elevation that are the tough ones to figure out.

How sweet would it be to have a combo mtn bike and climbing adventure race?

• 2 weeks later...

The trail starts at about 4200'and drops down to about 3000', unless you want to ride one way, then the last mile are so are really steep and you head down to something like 1500' elevation. The first 6 miles are super sweet, rolling single track, very smooth and fast. Then the next 6 miles (if riding to Bald Butte) are a mix of semi loose soil and big rocks. From Bald Butte take a break under the constantly buzzing power lines and return up the trail from which you came. A strong rider can ride all the hills coming home (of which I am not) round trip takes anywhere from 2.5-3 hours. I recommend the ride to anyone who has ridden or attempted to ride in a lava tube with a nalgene full of sweet, sweet beer.

Another way to do Surveyors Ridge is to park down in the valley on Pine Mont Road and ride the backroad (route 17) up past Gibson, Brooks and then Cook Prairies to the trailhead at Clinger Spring. It’s all gravel road with almost no traffic so it makes for a good long warm-up. Also, that last section of downhill singletrack on the North side of Bald Butte makes it all worthwhile.

nonanon said:

Another way to do Surveyors Ridge is to park down in the valley on Pine Mont Road and ride the backroad (route 17) up past Gibson, Brooks and then Cook Prairies to the trailhead at Clinger Spring. It’s all gravel road with almost no traffic so it makes for a good long warm-up. Also, that last section of downhill singletrack on the North side of Bald Butte makes it all worthwhile.

I've never done the trail that way before. I ave always ridden it from the top down and back up. If you are interested in a ride give me a PM

52 miles out and back. Most prefer to do a shuttle. This is still a 26 mile ride. Park one car at the ranger station on 126, and another at fish lakes 26 miles up 126. thumbs_up.gif

Sky,

what type of trail is it, how do I get there, shoot me a pm, I think I might like to do the 52 this weekend. thanks

Its really a hiking trail, but much of a single track, go over the pass through detriot, where 20 intersects with 22, go right, down 22 untill 126 head twardrs eugene fish lake is the first lake off the hyway... check some maps, @ carmen resivoir I go to the water, follow the road around, and hed down at the dam, but I don't think this is the designed route... it will take you down through the old river valley, wich is stellar... There is some great climbing here(trad)... the only canyon walls on the hole water way are in this stretch... the bed is dry do to the river being pumped throught the mountain... where the river pops out is a must see a deep clear pool surounded by rock walls, very cool... thumbs_up.gif