What's the best piece of gear you own?

ScottP

CloudVeil Serendipity jacket. Best/most versatile piece of gear I've ever owned. Worked great as a light-wind breaker for summer peak bagging, and kept me warm and dry while getting poured on as I was dragging my ass up a still forming icefall last weekend. Ended up with 1/2" of verglass on my helmet, but the H2O never made it through my jacket. It also kicks ass on approaches, as I can throw it on over a light polypro top and never have to change layers or endure yet another sweatbox experience in a shell that supposedly breathes. Might not be the right coat for a downpour in the Olympics, but it kicks ass for everything else.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: JayB ]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the vote for the Yellow TCU. There seems to be a placement for it on nearly every gear route.

Marmot windshirt - going on 8 years. Use it as a 1st/2nd layer on alpine, packable insulation on long routes, light shell for running or cool days, mid-layer under leather jacket for winter motorcycling.

Just bought a Petzl Reverso - It's supplanted my Wild Country Variable Controller as belay/rappel device of choice, especially for multi-pitch.

My $15 down jacket I got from Cabela's returns department. Most bang for the buck (or duck).

My ugly grey camoflage boonie hat. Just because.

The following is a paid advertisement from Colorado Custom's Hardware.__________________________________________________

You don't know what your rack is missing until you use your partners Hybrid Aliens. Hybrids will make those flaring jingus cam placements into one piece anchors. Pin scars are no match for the blue/green hybrid. Expanding flakes dont move a millimeter when the blue/black is placed behind them.

For more information please contact your local outdoor retail shop!

quote:

Originally posted by Wallstein:

You don't know what your rack is missing until you use your partners Hybrid Aliens. Hybrids will make those flaring jingus cam placements into one piece anchors....

Not really off the mark though, I used a couple from someone else's rack and after placing them a time or two I was drooling...picked up a couple that a local shop couldn't sell and were blowing out and then filled out my set a little while ago courtesy of Barrabes. For clean aid and pin scars they are a godsend, makes tied off stacked pins look plain silly.

My 5 X 8 Integral Design tarp and endurance sleeping bag cover, my nylon Western Mountaineering Apache sleeping bag, Patagonia puff ball, petzl micro, Arc’teryx Gamma SV jacket, makalu boots, GoLite Gust, my Cassin aluminum crampons and my Grivel air tech racing that’s practically sums my favorite gear also the gear I almost always take with me [geek]

I've got a #1 HB Quadcam that's saved my ass numerous times. It seems to fit somewhere on just about any route I do and is easily placeable with two fingers. The only drawback I have found is trying to place it wearing anything other than thin gloves.

My Denali SuperGaitors have kept my feet dry and warm going on twenty years now. (I have replaced the rands four times.)