WTB Board lasted shoes

allison

My doctors are telling me that I am destroying what little is left of my feet by climbing in slippers. It's been suggested that I climb exclusively in board-lasted shoes with this in mind. Anyone got a pair of something in about a Size 40 that they'd like to let go of for next to nothing?

I had a pair of Boreal Aces once that I liked a lot.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you get, and do you like them? (I know you probably have not had them for much more than a day, but have you been on rock yet with them?) I am lookin for a new pair. Don't know if I want to replace my Aces, or try something new...

My feet are messed up from miscellaneous sport injuries. Strting with running, and continuing with some broken bones along the way.

I got fitted for a new set of orthotics by a couple of climbing orthotic-makers (not actually docs, I was simplifying in my original post), and they strongly advised against me climbing at all, or at least in something more supportive than slippers. my feet are going flat, among other things, and apparently putting them in cruel shoes expedites the process. If it were up to them I would never wear another shoe that wouldn't take an orthotic.

All healed, but will never go away.

Current thinking combines some previous problems from running competitively though.

I'm sure they will build another new mousetrap on all of this next month. rolleyes.gif

BTW Just took the Synchros to the gym tonight. Not too bad. Different, but not terrible.

allison said:

If it were up to them I would never wear another shoe that wouldn't take an orthotic.

Yeah, I remember that from when I got orthotics. There was also some not quite quiet enough mutterings about degenerative joint disorder, etc. While I'm not saying there is nothing to it, I do think they (orthotics sellers) see things through a narrow lens: I was waiting for him to tell me that my male pattern baldness could be reversed with a special set of orthotics.

Caveat Emptor

-L

Actually my crappy-ass HMO insurance won't pay for the orthotics. They see someone with osteoartritis in their feet (hell yes that hurts) in the same light as a runner who needs to correct for sup-or pronation. I ended up going to the UW Orthotics/Prosthetics school to have them made, which so far has been a good experience (I don't have them yet), and a good option for someone who is underinsured for this.

So while they are orthotic-salespeople-in-training, they have nothing to gain financially by telling me this. Matter of fact, it's heartening to spend a little time with people who care about feet. I hear ya about orthotics makers thinking they can cure cancer with the right pair of footbeds though!!

I have had some minor foot troubles the last couple years as well. Stress fractures and tendonitis in the achilles. The foot docs at VM have done a great job of getting me healed up for more thrashings. Never have they told me to stop any of my activities(run, skate skiing, cycling, climbing,...) As a matter of fact, they encourage the rock climbing because of the foot strength that develops.

Good luck in a full recovery.

-Mike