Gear question for the women...

Fejas

I'm lookin to buy a new pack for the wife... the one she uses is and old guys pack (unconfortable for her)... Shes got a small build with big boobs so I wanted to find a pack built for a women of this framing... she doesn't haul a ton, I haul most of the extra gear and such....

ThanX smirk.gif

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty short with a short torso, so had a real bitch of a time finding a pack that fits. I ended up getting an REI Rising Star. It's sold as a kids pack. The target market as far as I can tell are 12-year old boy scouts so one would have to be pretty thin in the hips for the hip belt to fit right (it just barely fits me). Hardly top of the line, but it's a pretty decent pack. Fairly light, and fairly cheap too.

As far as boob size goes, it shouldn't be a problem as long as she can slide the sternum strap up enough that it runs over her, well, sternum, rather than squashing her boobs.

Gregory packs come in small sizes (probably why many women have them), but they are more expensive and kind of overbuilt for my liking. My $0.02.

Depends on what type of use she's going to get out of it. I have small shoulders so it's a bitch to find a pack. I've got a small lowe alpine pack that i picked up on sale someplace that's great. I was really surpised. Works well for a day pack.

I had a gregory that i wasn't super fond of but small enough to fit decent.

I'd say anything that's a "small" will work. For many things i find things that are made for kids work better than the adult sizes.

Check out the woman specific packs that many companies are making these days. If here hips aren't too big she may be able to use a small size unisex pack, but a woman's contoured hip belt will make a big difference to her comfort if she's got any amount of weight in it. The woman's models also shape the shoulder straps differently, narrower shoulders and countoured straps that accomodate her "rack".

For overnights I use an Osprey Isis and love it. It's a big pack though. For lighter loads and day climbing trips I use an Arc'teryx Khamski size small. The suspension system is great for up to about 40 lbs.

"great for up to about 40 lbs."

Thats about all the bigger she needs... we'll just be doin' mellow over nighters, weekend trips, but I want somtin thats comfortable for her, cause she hasn't been goin' on a cout of the raw rack marks she gets... boy pack out of the question, reson just stated... We are looking at them together, we tried some north faces, and some jansports, but just wanted some brands, models of packs that you ladies use or view as comfortable...

allison said:

Holy shit, that is twice the size of the overnight pack I carry.

so what? you carry much climbing gear around? aid rack? winter expeditioning? you stay out for more than one night ever? blah blah blah Allison is a sooper experienced lightweight hiker with busted legs ... we heard it all before ... rolleyes.gif

My experience with packs has been that in many cases the small sizes don't go small enough. Arc'Teryx for example madgo_ron.gif For me this results in the straps cutting into the back of my neck and not being able to share weight with the belt. Maybe you and Mrs Fejas can find a place that rents packs and do a few demo hikes to make sure you don't get a store-comfy/trail-torture model.

I never found that big boobs were a problem with fitting a pack, just torso length and hipbelt size/shape.

Fejas said:

"great for up to about 40 lbs."

Thats about all the bigger she needs... we'll just be doin' mellow over nighters, weekend trips, but I want somtin thats comfortable for her, cause she hasn't been goin' on a cout of the raw rack marks she gets... boy pack out of the question, reson just stated... We are looking at them together, we tried some north faces, and some jansports, but just wanted some brands, models of packs that you ladies use or view as comfortable...

The Khamski wouldn't really work for overnights even though the suspension will support the weight. It carries a full climbing rack, harness, shoes, water, and a rope nicely though.

I hiked with one of the Bora 60's on a 3 day backpacking trip, maybe 30-35 lbs in it weightwise, and had terrible time with hip brusies because the thing didn't have a contoured harness. For me that part of the pack is key. I think Arc'terryx makes a woman's pack now.

One tip I can offer is to load up a pack she thinks is comfortable with the sand sacks they have in the store and have her wear it for at least 30 minutes. Walk around the store. If it is still comfortable buy it. It's too big an investment to not spend some time wearing it. Or buy it at REI so you can return it for and exchange if you need to.

TIP

Always, always, always buy big ticket items at REI. Just for the no-hassle return policy. Find the perfect size somewhere else if you must, and then have REI order it.

Also, most of the players are building women's packs now. Yeah, they might be a shade spendy but if they fit a woman's funky curves and are comfy, why not? Holstermakers are building women's holsters now too....so you ladies that like packin' da heat can do so in style. thumbs_up.gif

ehmmic said:

The woman's models also shape the shoulder straps differently, narrower shoulders and countoured straps that accomodate her "rack".

This is the biggest part of finding a pack that works for me! If it doesn't fit my shoulders it's a hopeless disaster. The hip belt hasn't been as much of an issue for my shape but i have tiny shoulders. If they shoulder straps are too wide the load won't ride well at all.

Another note, most good gear shops will mix and match hipbelt size, pack size, and made for women hipbelts/pack within a pack model line. Ie you could put a medium men's hipbelt on a smal woman's pack, etc. OMC in Portland did this for my gf with an Osprey pack and she loves the fit. OMC kind of sux though IMO.

Fern, be nice. tongue.gif

Sure, I can't probably do everything you can do physically any more, but my 50L pack gets me around pretty good, and for up to a week at a time under the right circumstances.

I mentioned the fact that Ehm's pack is big just cuz I get the impression that Fej isn't looking for something for expeditions.

Sorry about the thread drift. rolleyes.gif

I would not rule out packs made for men, keep all options open.

Love my Arc'teryx Khamsin 38 for light loads, and my Arc'teryx Khamsin 52 for bigger loads. The 52 weighs in at something like just over 3 lbs, which is significant when 3 lbs are 3% of one's body weight. The hipbelts on the Khamsins are very flexible, padded enough for bony hips, though. I wore a Mountainsmith Frostfire for years, and endured brutal welts on my hips and collarbone. Now I carry only my Khamsins. Have both in the small size, as I'm only 5'2". Thought about getting a Bora, but it weighs over 6 lbs and has a padded, uncontoured hipbelt, which still gives me nightmares after years with the Mtnsmithy.

Edited by jules

giant padded countoured hip belts and stuff suck. If you are carrying that much weight, and not going to alaska, you can't pack very well. Go for a nice lightweight pack and help her pare the load down. Or you can do what I do and basicaly just have her carry her sleeping bag and some food and a few things for a 10 or 15 lb load and carry the rest of it yourself for the "training." bigdrink.gifhahaha.gif This way also has the bonus of getting you much farther in a day if you are a stronger hiker than her.

JoshK said:

giant padded countoured hip belts and stuff suck. If you are carrying that much weight, and not going to alaska, you can't pack very well. Go for a nice lightweight pack and help her pare the load down. Or you can do what I do and basicaly just have her carry her sleeping bag and some food and a few things for a 10 or 15 lb load and carry the rest of it yourself for the "training." bigdrink.gifhahaha.gif This way also has the bonus of getting you much farther in a day if you are a stronger hiker than her.

I usually get fern to carry everything, so she needs a big pack. rolleyes.gif

hellno3d.gif

so I'm biased because I work at REI, but the Morning Star is great, tons of pockets, doesn't weigh much. I haven't gone on anything super long with mine, but it could hold enough for a longer trip if you went somewhat lightweight. Gregory makes a million different sizes but nothing women specific. Arcteryx has women specific but you pay outrageous prices. and yes, REI will let you return a pack after trying it out on a hike.

JoshK said:

Depends on what you're doing... rolleyes.gif One of my packs has a padded belt, the other doesn't.

You're so nice to be the strong man for your lady, Josh. yellowsleep.gif Maybe if she has a comfortable pack she could go further and if she likes being in the mountains she'll train so she can carry her gear and get further out in the mountains.