Muir on Saturday II

scot'teryx

Just wanted to say "screw you" to those guys in the Carbon Hut near Mystic Lake"

Nah, I got nothing........

Left the parking lot at 1015am this saturday morning and witnessed touron hell!

People toting up garbage can lids, like 12 of them! cantfocus.gif

Witnessed a ton of randonnee and tele skiers carrying their skis as well, not sure why, maybe they forgot their skins at home? confused.gif

The sun stayed out all the way to Camp Muir, and then the clouds hit just as I got there around 1:30. Then it started snowing, and then the visibility turned to 30 yards, and then the flat light hit. Really pissed me off as there was so many lines that were untouched and as soon as I tried to ski them I had no depth perception. thumbs_down.gif

The snow was actually pretty sweet as far as the muir snowfield goes, the best ski down I ever had in fact. Then the lightning and thunder started, and we realized it was not the place to be.

Hauled ass down in 30 minutes stopping every once in awhile to navigate as the majority of the people turned back at that time. Even with Zardoz, I was having a hard time getting down below pan point because of them mashed potatoes.

So bummed, no cc'ers up there, or were there? wazzup.gif

Edited by scot'teryx

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I was up there with my out-of-shape dad on Saturday too and was just above Anvil Rock when the lightning really started. Up till then the entire pack train was buzzing as everybody's ice axes and pickets became lightning rods, but I wasn't concerned until my hair started standing up shocked.gif. There were like three huge flashes of lightning with thunder cracks that were nearly simultaneous, so that means like less than 400 yards away. Almost everyone turned around then, if they weren't already turned off by the hail and snow. I've never been that exposed in a thunder storm and it scared the hell out of me, a feeling that was accentuated by the never-ending whine of the electrons harmonzing with my ice axe. Good snow conditions and a quick descent though. smile.gif

scot'teryx said:

The sun stayed out all the way to Camp Muir, and then the clouds hit just as I got there around 1:30. Then it started snowing, and then the visibility turned to 30 yards, and then the flat light hit. Really pissed me off as there was so many lines that were untouched and as soon as I tried to ski them I had no depth perception. thumbs_down.gif

Dude, be careful skiing down in a whiteout from Muir .

That can be very dangerous, even if you are still "on route " or have to stop to figure out which way to go . Skiing down in a whiteout is really dangerous , glad you didn't run into problems . cantfocus.gif

-jh