Slabby climbs at Middle Fork of Sno. River?

Alpinfox

Hey,

Anybody know anything about those slabby, north-facing slabs beside the Middle Fork of the Snoqualamie River facing Mt. Garfield?

I remember seeing about four or five bolted lines. They were running with water and had a good deal of slime on them when I saw them a few weeks ago.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Mr. Bird, there are at least a couple of crags in that area. Fee Demo Wall, and "Pillars of the Earth." I thought Dryad may have been asking about the latter, which may have a couple of bolts on it but is not a slab area with 4 or 5 bolted climbs.

I'm pretty darn sure that you're talking about the Fee Demo Wall. After crossing the ridiculously overbuilt footbridge, the climbs are on the right side of the trail in about 1/2 mile.

There are 5 or 6 bolted climbs. There's one 5.9, a few 5.10's, and a couple 5.11's, I believe. A single 50 meter rope is perfect for the climbs, but you'll need a second rope to rap down.

Colin said:

I'm pretty darn sure that you're talking about the Fee Demo Wall. After crossing the ridiculously overbuilt footbridge, the climbs are on the right side of the trail in about 1/2 mile.

There are 5 or 6 bolted climbs. There's one 5.9, a few 5.10's, and a couple 5.11's, I believe. A single 50 meter rope is perfect for the climbs, but you'll need a second rope to rap down.

Great. That description sounds right. Thanks Colin. So there are rap anchors on all climbs? Would you give the routes any stars?

I really like that footbridge, even though it is "overbuilt".

It reminds me a bit of a Calatrava design, quite elegant.

• 1 year later...

After asking about this area over a year ago, I finally climbed there today.

We started on "Million Dollar Footbridge" (5.9) which was fun and a good introduction/warmup for the other climbs there. I then tried to lead "Sub-Aqeuous Tractor Retrieval (10b) and gave up just past the 5th or 6th bolt. Fortunately Mr. McMurray was up to the challenge and finished off the lead for me and did a brilliant job keeping his head together through the crux and a bit of wetness around the last two bolts. Thanks! That route is hard!

We then toproped "Wonderful World of Wreckreation" (10d) which McMurray found "straightforward and easier than the 10b", but still felt hard to me. I slipped a couple of times. We scored a leaver biner on this route.

I then tried to lead "Smokey Bent Me Over" (11-), but couldn't get past the fourth bolt. Bye-bye leaver biner.

The rock quality is very high and the climbing is good if you are into that slabby sort of thing. Thanks to the FAs and developers. thumbs_up.gif

Damn I am a suck slab climber! cry.gif

• 5 months later...