Exit 38 ... Exit 32?

Winter

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

slaphappy said:

fleblebleb said:

If every route is listed at least twice in Bruce's book, why do we need two sets of guidebooks for the Exits?

We don't. It's a turf war, Bruce is steppin on Burdo's toes. hellno3d.gif

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the politics of the guidebook situation, 2 things are obvious: 1) Exit 32

is in need of an updated guide, and 2) the early bird gets the worm so the two Bruce books will hurt Burdo's

offering when it comes out. Then there's Smoot's guide and the underground guides..... boxing_smiley.gif

chucK said:

Here's some hyperbole related to Exit 38.

I was just out a Darrington the other day thinking back about climbing at Index a couple of weeks before and I thought, "Shit!! These crags around Seattle, they got some KILLER views!!". Think about it, Index, Darrington, Static Point, Icicle Creek, Mt. Eerie, even Vantage, they all got some rawkin' views!!! But Exit 38? Most of the time you're in buggy second-growth brown lifeless jungle. Maybe, if you hike all the way up to Bob's wall, you can look out through the slash at another clearcut above over an Interstate Freeway. tongue.gif

Maybe it's about climbing and not the Views rolleyes.gif

If I want to do a lot of hikeing to climb slab or crack I go to Levenslab

If I want to reach up and pull down hard I go to North Bend. thumbs_up.gif

When it comes to guide book authors, think about it.

What have they done for climbing. Have they put up routes, Have they given you new climbing areas through previous guide books? Smoot, Bruse or have they stolen beta from old guide books (check out black market exit 38, it does not exist but was copied in Smoots book)

Can these guide book authors actually climb most of the routes and give first hand beta?

I for one would prefer to buy my guide book from a climber that puts up routes, has climbed most of the

routes . Not just some one with a camera and a computer.

What's next: slected climbs in the North West by DICKHEAD rolleyes.gif Oh yeah I can feel my walet getting fat and my ego pumped wave.gif

richard_noggin said:

When it comes to guide book authors, think about it.

What have they done for climbing. Have they put up routes, Have they given you new climbing areas through previous guide books? Smoot, Bruse or have they stolen beta from old guide books (check out black market exit 38, it does not exist but was copied in Smoots book)

Can these guide book authors actually climb most of the routes and give first hand beta?

I for one would prefer to buy my guide book from a climber that puts up routes, has climbed most of the

routes . Not just some one with a camera and a computer.

What's next: slected climbs in the North West by DICKHEAD rolleyes.gif Oh yeah I can feel my walet getting fat and my ego pumped wave.gif

Here's my response to your assessment: thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif But I still wish the right book was out in a more

timely fashion. But then we're waiting and waiting for the right book from the right author at Smith Rock too.....

these things just take time I guess.

I'm not one for click'n the RAT/ NARK (notify Mod) button and after getting a few PM's from Rock cops I don't do PM's any longer, if you got something to say it has to be up front.

From your previous posts I can tell your a Levenslab climber , tell Vick that new guide rocks and the FA list with the route discription is way cool thumbs_up.gif

That walk to the special spot was longer than I expected cry.gif but the Javelin was well worth it . thumbs_up.gif

The really good climbs in Levenslab can be spread out but they are well worth the hike. wave.gif

richard_noggin said:

I'm not one for click'n the RAT/ NARK (notify Mod) button and after getting a few PM's from Rock cops I don't do PM's any longer, if you got something to say it has to be up front.

From your previous posts I can tell your a Levenslab climber , tell Vick that new guide rocks and the FA list with the route discription is way cool thumbs_up.gif

That walk to the special spot was longer than I expected cry.gif but the Javelin was well worth it . thumbs_up.gif

The really good climbs in Levenslab can be spread out but they are well worth the hike. wave.gif

True, true , they are well worth the hike. The Javelin does rock! I'll let VK know your positive feedback.

question is: Awhile back you said somethin about a "secret" crag you had been visiting behind a friends property. Is it Nurse Rock perhaps? You also said somethin about a hard crack route that blanked out in the middle that might need a bolt, is it in the Icicle? Is it that route at Nurse? If so, has it been led?