Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • olyclimber

      WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

      We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
dryad

Hey mountie bashers

Recommended Posts

Fence_Sitter said:

never accidentally pull your not-fully-untied knot up to the anchors where it will then create a huge clusterhassle

 

has anyone ever actually done this?!?! if you have...let me know, cause i dont wanna climb with you...

 

You've seriously never heard of this happening? Shit, one of DFA's friends did it several years back. Luckily, it was on 5-Gallon Buckets, and DFA saw what was happening and hollered, so the knot only got about 25 feet up and we were able to just climb up to it. Just like most climbing mistakes or accidents, it only takes a momentary lapse in attention, and then you've created an obnoxious pain in the arse.

 

*EDIT*

 

And the set-off-climbing-with-an-unfinished-knot trick has been performed by both Dan Osman (who looked down and watched his rope slide out of his harness, and managed to down-solo to his last bolt and get clipped in) and Lynn Hill (who pitched off a route in France, fell into/through a tree, and cratered from 60 feet [?] up, fortunately escaping with only busted ankles).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and let's not forget the case of LYNN HILL splatting from the top of the Styx wall at Buoux due to not finishing her figure 8...Guess what knot she's tyin' in w/ now?? GOOD OL' Bowline...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RuMR said:

and let's not forget the case of LYNN HILL splatting from the top of the Styx wall at Buoux due to not finishing her figure 8...Guess what knot she's tyin' in w/ now?? GOOD OL' Bowline...

 

That's the anecdote in question! thumbs_up.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

RuMR said:

and let's not forget the case of LYNN HILL splatting from the top of the Styx wall at Buoux due to not finishing her figure 8...Guess what knot she's tyin' in w/ now?? GOOD OL' Bowline...

 

That's the anecdote in question! thumbs_up.gif

 

Yeah...but she's just a lame sporto, right??? rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif[Dripping Sarcasm]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alex said:

 

adventuregal asks some really good, age-old questions. These have all been answered before, but the answers arent easy, and often arent satisfying.

 

What makes a good climbing partnership? Like any good personal relationship: trust, tolerance, mutual respect, humor, mutual contribution, alot of work, sacrifice. So many other factors.

 

Dryad and adventuregal, and anyone else interested in getting out with more experienced people, the first step is to meet people. Go to the gym. Go to Pub Club!!! There are many many many excellent people at pub club.

 

 

Thanks for all the tips, Alex!! wave.gif With lots of practice and some trust-worthy partners I'll be more knowledgable about climbing in no time... And actually, I think I'll be at Pub Club next week!! bigdrink.giffruit.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, she tied in with a bowline.

 

And I have created a clusterfuck by pulling a single figure-8 up to the chains. So I lead a climb right next to it, and managed to get the rope down. I don't want to do that again, though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sphinx said:

Actually, she tied in with a bowline.

 

And I have created a clusterfuck by pulling a single figure-8 up to the chains. So I lead a climb right next to it, and managed to get the rope down. I don't want to do that again, though!

No...she did not! It was an incomplete 8...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lynn maybe a sporto, but she can climb the nose in a day and there's not too much sport climbin on that bitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
texplorer said:

Lynn maybe a sporto, but she can climb the nose in a day and there's not too much sport climbin on that bitch.

I AGGRE, LYNN IS CLEARLY NOT A SPORTO!

 

dfa; YOU ARE FUNNY AND DUMB! boxing_smiley.gif

 

figure8'S are a very smart knot to use when multipitching.... bowline are useful if you can'T send and fall a lot on sportoclimbs bigdrink.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

awful lot of smack talking in here!!!!! Whew...can't stand the heat, i'm outta here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
texplorer said:

Lynn maybe a sporto, but she can climb the nose in a day and there's not too much sport climbin on that bitch.

 

Dear Tex...please look up term "dripping sarcasm" and explain to the class...

 

she's actually a rockclimber pure and simple...not sporto not trado just climbero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Szyjakowski said:

[

 

dfa; YOU ARE FUNNY AND DUMB! boxing_smiley.gif

 

Hey, hey, let's all be nice to one another and get along like kindergarten, shall we? No bogarting the crayons, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fence_Sitter said:

dont let the door hit ya on the way out moon.gif

as long as its not your foot, i'm good...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RuMR said:

and let's not forget the case of LYNN HILL splatting from the top of the Styx wall at Buoux due to not finishing her figure 8...Guess what knot she's tyin' in w/ now?? GOOD OL' Bowline...

bowline...yes the knot that a climber from the PCN died using in index... rolleyes.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RuMR said:

Fence_Sitter said:

dont let the door hit ya on the way out moon.gif

as long as its not your foot, i'm good...

 

wouldn't be too sure bucko the_finger.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listen, you fuck any knot up and it will not work, right?

 

Figure 8's have advantages and disadvantages, bowlines properly dressed have advantages and disadvantages...this is like arguing ford vs. chevy and then not changing the oil for 200k miles...both will die on you, duh!

 

Personally, i'd rather tie in w/ a double bowline w/ a rethread...been doing it for 18 years now, averaging climbing (w/ lots of falling wink.gif ) three days a week...haven't had it come undone under some big falls and am willing to bet you'll break the rope before the knot yields...

 

Dumb discussion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fence_Sitter said:

RuMR said:

Fence_Sitter said:

dont let the door hit ya on the way out moon.gif

as long as its not your foot, i'm good...

 

wouldn't be too sure bucko the_finger.gif

just remember its climbing season, so no crampons please... the_finger.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fence_Sitter said:

and by the way...i thought you were leaving!?!? addictive aint it? wave.gif

worse than my crack smokin' daze!!! wazzup.gif

 

Plus i'm scared to turn my back on you...might get kicked in the moon.gif

Edited by RuMR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Szyjakowski said:

dfa; YOU ARE FUNNY AND DUMB! boxing_smiley.gif

 

hey I called you that first. plagiarist. find your

own childish insults sillycowpee. boxing_smiley.gifmoon.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fence_Sitter said:

 

bowline...yes the knot that a climber from the PCN died using in index... rolleyes.gif

 

Bowline = not the same as the uber-safe DBBB. Get your shit right. boxing_smiley.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

Fence_Sitter said:

 

bowline...yes the knot that a climber from the PCN died using in index... rolleyes.gif

 

Bowline = not the same as the uber-safe DBBB. Get your shit right. boxing_smiley.gif

 

AMEN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

Hey, hey, let's all be nice to one another and get along like kindergarten, shall we? No bogarting the crayons, etc.

give my fukin crayons back you beyotch! hahaha.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×