Climbing Injuries, need info

brukb

and Washington has the highest use or participation as well.

Agree the AAJ in pretty much the difinitive catalogue on accidents in NA Mountaineering.

Another source is ask the NPS at each park. This will only give you data within the park and is almost always included in the AAJ data.

Good Luck....

------------------

Have a nice day.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accidents in North American Mountaineering is not just a great research tool, but great reading. Call me a freak, but I read it most nights before I go to bed. I think that there is no better literature out there on how to stay alive while climbing.

A good source for this is a journal published each year by the American Alpine Club, it's called "Accidents in North American Mountaineering" I have been getting this each year since 1991, I think it's been published for quite a while. Washington is in second place for the amount of total 'reported' accidents since 1951, right behind California (somehow that does not surprise me).

[This message has been edited by dane (edited 02-02-2001).]

A few random thoughts for you:

1) Tendinitis, when not treated or otherwise dealt with, can become "tendinosis," which is the term physical therapists now use to refer to chronic tendinitis. I have it in my elbow right now. Bummer.

2) Other than ankle sprains and ripped skin (i.e. avulsions or "flappers"), I would say that the most common and prevalent -- and potentially dangerous -- backcountry injury takes place not climbing at all, but rather, COOKING. I know that sounds funny, but burns in the backcountry (either from direct contact with a hot stove or by spilling boiling water) can be very problematic to deal with in terms of pain, infection, and possible loss of mobility -- imagine trying to hike ten miles after pouring a pot of boiling water on your foot!

I work with students in the wilderness and have come to recognize that for this population at least cooking can be the most dangerous part of their day (often because people take such care to be cautious when they perceive danger, like when they're climbing, but let their guard down when cooking).

Hope that's useful info for you.

------------------

A few random thoughts for you:

1) Tendinitis, when not treated or otherwise dealt with, can become "tendinosis," which is the term physical therapists now use to refer to chronic tendinitis. I have it in my elbow right now. Bummer.

2) Other than ankle sprains and ripped skin (i.e. avulsions or "flappers"), I would say that the most common and prevalent -- and potentially dangerous -- backcountry injury takes place not climbing at all, but rather, COOKING. I know that sounds funny, but burns in the backcountry (either from direct contact with a hot stove or by spilling boiling water) can be very problematic to deal with in terms of pain, infection, and possible loss of mobility -- imagine trying to hike ten miles after pouring a pot of boiling water on your foot!

I work with students in the wilderness and have come to recognize that for this population at least cooking can be the most dangerous part of their day (often because people take such care to be cautious when they perceive danger, like when they're climbing, but let their guard down when cooking).

Hope that's useful info for you.

------------------