Sweet Deal...Avalung

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is the old one. the newer avalung is much smaller, no vest. has anyone ever used these things, seems like the odds that you would have the mouthpiece in your mouth at just the right time and that it would not come out when you are being knocked around in a avalanche are pretty slim.

on the up side it is very stylish.

AlpineK said:

$30 worth of beer would be money better spent.

Avalung = Bullshit

Info at the obvious place: www.avalung.com

So there's at least 3 people walking around on this earth (lives saved by the Avalung) who have real good reason to say bullshit to your bullshit. grin.gif

cman said:

that is the old one. the newer avalung is much smaller, no vest. has anyone ever used these things, seems like the odds that you would have the mouthpiece in your mouth at just the right time and that it would not come out when you are being knocked around in a avalanche are pretty slim.

Not according to one guy who was saved: "He said it was not at all difficult to keep the mouthpiece in his mouth."

So, the short record so far is 3 people being saved by the Avalung in real life, and I'm not aware of anyone being caught in an avalanche with an Avalung that did NOT survive (even though about 1/3 of avy deaths are due to trauma, 2/3 due to suffocation).

I understand it is standard gear for some heli-ski operations, but most of my dirtbag BC ski-board buddies don't have them yet--due in part to normal $120 price tag but also due to lack of awareness of the what the device can do. I believe "the jury is still out" on the Avalung for many people, and time will tell. While I'll still do my damndest to stay off of avy terrain, I am now wearing one in addition to carrying beacon-probe-shovel.

Happy turns.

I think the avalung works, but its only one more piece of safety gear. If you think it's gonna save your life and you then take more risks, its probably gonna kill you.

Is it going to make a difference between a red and green light? I hope not.

If you really want to do the Avalung thing, don't bother buying one. It doesn't "convert CO2 to oxygen" or anything like that. You don't die from lack of oxygen when you're buried, you die from a CO2 buildup. The Avalung is just a tube that carries the CO2 you expel away from your face and puts it out around your back, thus reducing the CO2 buildup around your face, meaning you can breath longer. So instead of spending money on the Avalung, buy a tube. You could even run the tube down one leg and have it expel the CO2 down there, making it even better, if you're into that sort of thing.