Mounties and WAC climbing the Tooth this weekend

Thinker

Looks like the Mounties and the WAC both have groups heading to the Tooth this weekend and next. Take your senses of humor and buckets of patience if you're planning on climbing there too.

I smell a classic battlecage shaping up. shocked.gif

Actually, the last time I was involved in such a CF, things worked out extremely well and all had a reasonably good day.

The WAC will also have a group or two trapsing around Commonwealth Basin both weekends.

WAC schedule

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After returning to the Alpental parking lot last Sunday after an exploratory jaunt up the western ridge of Snoqualamie Mtn, my partner and I watched hordes of triple-layer-goretex-clad, plastic-boot-wearing wankers coming down from the ski area. They were roped up and ready for any crevasses they might encounter on the ski slopes. They must have been pretty comfortable with the terrain because I didn't see anyone hammering in pickets or putting in deadmen every 50ft. rolleyes.gif Judging from the size of their packs, they must have been returning from a 6-day siege of Das Toof. I swear this one guy's pack must have weighed 70lbs!

I assume that sort of overkill/stupidity could only mean Mounties. Can anyone confirm that there was a Mounty fiasco going on last Sunday up there? So do they take on Das Toof every weekend?

More general rant:

Why do people feel the need to "get away from it all" in groups? Is this similar to the phenomenon of women going to the bathroom in groups?

The mounties aren't all bad I guess... They sponsor the Banff Film Festival.... They publish some guidebooks... That's about all I can think of.

Alpinfox said:

After returning to the Alpental parking lot last Sunday after an exploratory jaunt up the western ridge of Snoqualamie Mtn, my partner and I watched hordes of triple-layer-goretex-clad, plastic-boot-wearing wankers coming down from the ski area. They were roped up and ready for any crevasses they might encounter on the ski slopes. They must have been pretty comfortable with the terrain because I didn't see anyone hammering in pickets or putting in deadmen every 50ft. rolleyes.gif Judging from the size of their packs, they must have been returning from a 6-day siege of Das Toof. I swear this one guy's pack must have weighed 70lbs!

I assume that sort of overkill/stupidity could only mean Mounties. Can anyone confirm that there was a Mounty fiasco going on last Sunday up there? So do they take on Das Toof every weekend?

Although I can't confirm it, I heard the Seattle Mountaineers had their first snow field trip up there this weekend. I think the reason they were roped up was to practice glacier travel without the fear of crevasses. Better to practice with no crevasses when you are doing it for the first time. It is kind of similiar to placing pro on the ground before you start leading, you know? The funny thing is they probably did place pickets before you saw them! blush.gif

70 lb!! Shit, he must be training for Denali. The Seattle Branch has 200+ basic students so I think this would explain the hordes you encountered.

Alpinfox said:

More general rant:

Why do people feel the need to "get away from it all" in groups? Is this similar to the phenomenon of women going to the bathroom in groups?

The mounties aren't all bad I guess... They sponsor the Banff Film Festival.... They publish some guidebooks... That's about all I can think of.

I can't believe they had the nerve to practice roped travel on safer terrain! And carrying weight for training? They should all go to hell!

the_finger.gif

(in other words, you're an idiot Alpinfox)

My glacier travel skills are a bit rusty...

I think tomorrow I'll go walk through the mall all roped up with 23 of my closest friends. If I'm feeling really bold, maybe I'll take some 'pons and a couple technical tools and see if I can make it across the ice rink!

Just for practice you know...

yelrotflmao.gif

Fuck you ursa. Mounties are stupid as hell for walking around with more weight than necessary and roping up on a fucking flat snowfield. Its not like its all that hard, why don't they grow some nads and learn by doing the real thing like everyone else here.

Nevertheless, I could care less if they do that shit. I don't feel the need to climb the tooth for the 200th time this weekend. If they want to be up there looking like dipshits more power to them. Just don't tell me not to ridicule them. I need someone to make fun of to feel good about myself.

specialed said:

Fuck you ursa. Mounties are stupid as hell for walking around with more weight than necessary and roping up on a fucking flat snowfield. Its not like its all that hard, why don't they grow some nads and learn by doing the real thing like everyone else here.

Nevertheless, I could care less if they do that shit. I don't feel the need to climb the tooth for the 200th time this weekend. If they want to be up there looking like dipshits more power to them. Just don't tell me not to ridicule them. I need someone to make fun of to feel good about myself.

u r pathetic arent you?

erik said:

specialed said:

u r pathetic arent you?

Why? Because I tell the truth. the_finger.gif

The first time I climbed the Tooth, both Mounties and WAC were there... oh, boy. I was hoping to get up there again this weekend with my girlfriend and even had Lundin as a backup, but looks like the whole pass will be swarming with helmet-nametag-types.

From the website it looks like they aren't even meeting at the upper Alpental parking lot until 6AM hellno3d.gif. So all you need to do is be walking by 6am and you'll probably beat them there. Leaving at 5pm might work too.

So if they are meeting at 6 a.m. that means they won't get going until about 8 a.m. Then with all huge packs and roping 50 people togethor for the heinous and deadly approach to the Tooth, they should arrive at the tooth, about 4 p.m. You've got nothing to worry about dude.

specialed said:

Ed, you ARE pathetic. The reason for the heavy packs is extra clothes. It's a class, not a climb. They are TRAINING. They will be diving into wet snow to practice ice axe arrest. They will get wet. They will be camping in the snow. Stop being such a knucklehead.

If you want to climb the Tooth, leave the lot at 6 am and enjoy yourself.

Bro - I could care less that the mounties carry huge packs and why.

I just reserve the right to make fun

If I voluntarily threw myslef into wet snow drunk or sober, I would expect someone to make fun of me too. Go seige the tooth. Have fun, I know I will.

Mounties suck. I don't care what their excuses are for being stupid.

It's a distastefull combination of mediocre climbers trying to be cool by 'leading' classes full of wide eyed idiots that'd be better off if they stayed with their shiny cars.

I don't go where they go, so I guess I shouldn't care. But the whole descend on the mountains in hordes really rubs me the wrong way. I learned to climb with a handfull of nuts, a book, and the tooth. If those hordes of jokers can't do that much then what are they going to do on a real lead when some ball sack and a smidgen of common sense are required.

All that mountie wisdom just slows 'em down and makes 'em too timid to do anything other than lead the next group of wide eyed idiots.

Anyway, I'll never understand why some folks feel the need to defend these people. They are a blight on the mountains nothing more. And all the people they are opening the mountains up to need to stay home anyway, they're just future officious little pricks at the head of another throng.

Shouldn't they be golfing or something, climbing is dirty and dangerous. Waaaaaaaaay too scary for those suburbanites.

Stay home, stay away, be afraid.

Sloth_Man said:

Mounties suck. I don't care what their excuses are for being stupid.

It's a distastefull combination of mediocre climbers trying to be cool by 'leading' classes full of wide eyed idiots that'd be better off if they stayed with their shiny cars.

I don't go where they go, so I guess I shouldn't care. But the whole descend on the mountains in hordes really rubs me the wrong way. I learned to climb with a handfull of nuts, a book, and the tooth. If those hordes of jokers can't do that much then what are they going to do on a real lead when some ball sack and a smidgen of common sense are required.

All that mountie wisdom just slows 'em down and makes 'em too timid to do anything other than lead the next group of wide eyed idiots.

Anyway, I'll never understand why some folks feel the need to defend these people. They are a blight on the mountains nothing more. And all the people they are opening the mountains up to need to stay home anyway, they're just future officious little pricks at the head of another throng.

Shouldn't they be golfing or something, climbing is dirty and dangerous. Waaaaaaaaay too scary for those suburbanites.

Stay home, stay away, be afraid.

rockband.gifthumbs_up.gif

Alpine Fox, Sloth man: You call the Mountaineers idiots rolleyes.gif come on. re-read your posts to see who the real idiots are. yellaf.gif You sound like a bunch of buffoons. Your Mountaineer bashing old, so old. If it doesn't affect you why is it worth getting so worked up over?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: People hear what they want to hear, see what they want to see, and believe what they want to believe. The reality of the situation has little affect this.

I'm sorry for my previous posts. Alpinfox and Sloth_Man are obviously much better than anyone who has ever joined the mounties. They are superior in every way, and they have never carried more than 5 lbs into the backcountry. They never used ropes until they were 1000 feet up El Cap. They have never done any conditioning hike, rather, they just go up to the mountain and climb Rainier in under 4 hours. Please accept my apologies oh great gods of climbing!

the_finger.gif