Cashews

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good compact calories (read: lotta fat, decent protein in some) for your endeavors. almonds are one of the better nuts for you; though high in fat, i believe they're low in sat fat, are a decent source of protein, and have more fiber than most. HCL.gif

i pack almonds for long b/c days, good fuel. cashews are damn tasty, but not as good for you.

as i'm sure you've heard a million times, there are good fats and bad fats. In the grand scheme of things, nuts are high in good quality fats and contain some protein to boot. I often carry them with me in the B/C. And you can't be the taste.

one thing that i read(maybe someone can clarify for me) is that eating high fat foods require more water to digest and thus are not as benficial as one would want to think..

i dunno. i still eat them as they taste sooo good.....

just one more thing to think about!

If your body is left with only fats as energy, it will begin to accumulate an excess of ketone bodies, which can lead to ketosis. Ketosis can be bad. You need to drink lots of water in order to flush all that stuff out of your system so your blood doesn't get too acidic. Is that what you were referring to, Erik? I understand why this is dangerous, physiologically. But why would drinking lots of water make something not as beneficial? Fats are a great energy source, you just have to balance them with carbs too. And ketosis often happens with high protein diets... So BE CAREFUL with them! wave.gif

adventuregal said:

If your body is left with only fats as energy, it will begin to accumulate an excess of ketone bodies, which can lead to ketosis. Ketosis can be bad. You need to drink lots of water in order to flush all that stuff out of your system so your blood doesn't get too acidic. Is that what you were referring to, Erik? I understand why this is dangerous, physiologically. But why would drinking lots of water make something not as beneficial? Fats are a great energy source, you just have to balance them with carbs too. And ketosis often happens with high protein diets... So BE CAREFUL with them! wave.gif

Ketosis is the basis of the Atkins diet.

Yup, good fats, some protein, AND if you like salted nuts, these are actually good snacks (in small quantities) on hikes so you replenish the salts you sweat out in copious amounts when exerting energy over long periods of time. It's been said before: balance fats with carbs and protein, drink plenty of water, and don't eat "too much" af any one food. They're great in trail mixes.

Not to argue with JoshK, but in Atkins's defense, my dad lost 50 pounds and kicked his diabetes last year from the Atkin's diet. My mom lost 30 pounds, and they are happy as ever. Their colesterol also went way down, and my dad even wants to go hiking with me. They still eat lots of green veggies though. Just something you may want to consider. Cheers.

Bill

skyclimb said:

I Like Almonds and Cashews! When i read the nutrition facts behind these, there really is none. So do nuts have nutritional value? wazzup.gif

check http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl for nutrition content of foodstuffs.

For dry roasted unsalted cashews, 100g will have 15g protein, 32g carbs, and 46g fats (the remainder of the weight being water and ash).

Bill_Simpkins said:

Not to argue with JoshK, but in Atkins's defense, my dad lost 50 pounds and kicked his diabetes last year from the Atkin's diet. My mom lost 30 pounds, and they are happy as ever. Their colesterol also went way down, and my dad even wants to go hiking with me. They still eat lots of green veggies though. Just something you may want to consider. Cheers.

Bill

You're right, Bill, I guess I shouldn't bash it outright. I do know others who have had good successes. I believe, however, it's only one way to get the job done and for longterm health, concentrating your diet entirely on fat/protein is not the best idea. I'm curious, now that they have lost the weight have they returned to a more well rounded yet lower calorie diet?

JoshK said:

Bill_Simpkins said:

Bill

You're right, Bill, I guess I shouldn't bash it outright. I do know others who have had good successes. I believe, however, it's only one way to get the job done and for longterm health, concentrating your diet entirely on fat/protein is not the best idea. I'm curious, now that they have lost the weight have they returned to a more well rounded yet lower calorie diet?

I think the Atkins diet is also good for the long term. It's the carbs (i.e. donuts, bread, french fries, most processed foods, etc.) that are making people fat. Some gov't folks are even saying the food pyramid ought to be inverted because it's basically telling Americans exactly how to get fat.

My 2 cents.

ChrisT said:

JoshK said:

Bill_Simpkins said:

Bill

I think the Atkins diet is also good for the long term. It's the carbs (i.e. donuts, bread, french fries, most processed foods, etc.) that are making people fat. Some gov't folks are even saying the food pyramid ought to be inverted because it's basically telling Americans exactly how to get fat.

My 2 cents.

Judging by the large herd of heifers in Sno. County, it's working

Americans are fat cause they are lazy. More calories in than calories out. Its not like protein or fat are lower calorie than carbohydrate... and remember alcohol? 7 cal/g bigdrink.gif its almost like drinking olive oil shots. Better supersize it.

Dru said:

Americans are fat cause they are lazy. More calories in than calories out. Its not like protein or fat are lower calorie than carbohydrate... and remember alcohol? 7 cal/g bigdrink.gif its almost like drinking olive oil shots. Better supersize it.

and us fat americans cant play hockey neither. cry.gifrolleyes.gifmoon.gifpitty.gif

Nuts have a higher percentage of good fats and they also contain a lot of micro nutrients (vitamin B complexes and minerals).

My understanding of ketosis is that it comes from the breakdown of proteins as a primary energy source. When carbs are severely restricted (or not utilized properly like in diabetes) the brain breaks down proteins to get energy similar to glucose, which is what it needs to function since it can't utilize fats. Ketone bodies are a byproduct that must be flushed from the system, thus the need for lots of water.

The success of Atkins works with people who's bodies aren't properly using carbs. It's not for everyone, just people who can't seem to lose weight by any other means. A lot of people still utilize carbs just fine. Carbs in general aren't the devil. Processed sugar is. Stop drinking soda and eating sweets. They're empy calories with very low nutrient content.

ehmmic said:

Nuts have a higher percentage of good fats and they also contain a lot of micro nutrients (vitamin B complexes and minerals).

My understanding of ketosis is that it comes from the breakdown of proteins as a primary energy source. When carbs are severely restricted (or not utilized properly like in diabetes) the brain breaks down proteins to get energy similar to glucose, which is what it needs to function since it can't utilize fats. Ketone bodies are a byproduct that must be flushed from the system, thus the need for lots of water.

The success of Atkins works with people who's bodies aren't properly using carbs. It's not for everyone, just people who can't seem to lose weight by any other means. A lot of people still utilize carbs just fine. Carbs in general aren't the devil. Processed sugar is. Stop drinking soda and eating sweets. They're empy calories with very low nutrient content.

Sugar = carbs right?