Wall Hammocks

Travis

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Better than sleeping in your harness, but still no match for a real ledge. I used one with a spreader-bar and still didn't sleep that well on the wall. Maybe for remote climbs where weight is a big issue, but still wouldn't want to spend more than a couple of nights in one. Fish is coming out with an econo-ledge soon- I'd wait for its release.

Hammocks work just fine for a night or two hanging on the wall any more than that and you will really appreciate the portaledge. I have spent nights both on the Chief and On El Cap in both a hammocks of my own design and a Forrest model. I designed my own rainfly.. I even spent a few nights in the rain once with wet snow. Wet wet wet! Last time in the hammock I swore I would never spend another night in it. But let’s say I was climbing a route on MT Watkins and planning on spending one night out, I would definitely bring the hammock rather than lugging a ledge.

If I were planning on climbing a long El Cap route w/o ledges, I would buy a portaledge. If I was planning on starting off on some grade Vs, I would consider saving money and buying a hammock. The Fish econoledge might be a good deal except I do not believe it has a rainfly so it is best suited to team up with someone with a double hammock w/ fly.

It looks like the hammock in the picture has buckles on all the straps. Make sure they are robust and not cheap. Scottp is right when he says hammocks are tight in the shoulders even with spreader bars but my main problem was my feet hanging off the edge and as I slept the hammock slowly turning into a chair.

Aything I wrote above notwithstnding I have never slept well in a hammock.

PP bigdrink.gif

EDITT addition:

If I was climbing when bad weather was to be expected I would never use a hammock.

Edited by Peter_Puget

Peter_Puget said:

Hammocks work just fine for a night or two hanging on the wall any more than that and you will really appreciate the portaledge. I have spent nights both on the Chief and On El Cap in both a hammocks of my own design and a Forrest model. I designed my own rainfly.. I even spent a few nights in the rain once with wet snow. Wet wet wet! Last time in the hammock I swore I would never spend another night in it. But let’s say I was climbing a route on MT WATKINS or maybe QUARTER DOME and planning on spending one night out, I would definitely bring the hammock rather than lugging a ledge.

tongue.gifconfused.gifbigdrink.gif