TR Spring touring & the easy way up Graybeard

EJohnson

This last weekend I skinned up and bivy on the NE Ridge of Graybeard.

Climb Graybeard via the Northeast Face in a snowstorm on the summit 7:30Pm Saturday evening. The Northeast Face consisted of 40-degree snow and some ice.

For anyone wanting to climb the North Face, the Northeast Face descent seems like a better option then the Easy Pass.

Cheers

Erick

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the NE side is probably the better way down Graybeard, although I have not gone down the Easy Pass way. I think that descending via Easy Pass would be easy, but would take significantly longer.

From the summit, descend down a gully to the South about 200 ft. (class 3) and then begin traversing to skier's left (East). You will cross 3 or 4 (I can't remember) ridges/ribs as you traverse back around to the base of the North face. It is a descending traverse, spiraling down the mountain, and if a section is too technical to traverse then descend more before traversing more. If you don't stay too high, all you need is an ice axe and a pair of crampons.

How'd the North Face look, Erick?

Some good size avalanches have swept the upper snowfield all the way to the trees.

The first ice pitch to the upper snowfield looks very thick. Above that, looks thin and rotten with a good size cornice topping the face. I have a couple of pictures of the face. I will post on Wednesday.