Royal Column Ratings

What is it with the ratings at Royal Columns anyway? Everything seems way harder for its rating than anywhere I've climbed before. Harder than Leavenworth, Index, Mt. Erie, or Vantage. Is it just because it is generally more sustained climbing, or what? I've done some 5.3's at RC that seem harder than 5.6's at Great Northern Slab. Does it get easier as you get used to that kind of rock?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most all of the classics at RC were put up by the end of the 80s, before the advent of the really hard-rated routes so often seen nowadays. Also, it's the kind of climbing that it is; it will get easier to you after you've been on it a while, as you learn what works and what doesn't.

I think the ratings are for the most part pretty good. The rock does require a different technique and that may be responsible the “stiff” ratings. Only one route I have climbed strikes me as being over rated in the area: Wildcat Crack. The thing that bugs me is the sometimes funky pro. The cracks often flare inward and do not constrict in a nice curve. Think of Paul Maul - no jamming, more like hole plugging, plus nuts are crazy on that route.

If you spend a lot of time climbing at 38 or Vantage at least in the easier grades (5.0-5.10) you will end up with very distorted view of how ratings work at other areas.

Oh yea, Stress Management seemed more like 5.10 to me and is given a 5.9.

Overall Vantage

rockband.gif

PP bigdrink.gif

Edited by Peter_Puget

• 5 months later...
chazandbruno said:

My climbing buddy and I are thinking about going to RC soon. Do you guys know where can i get a good route book? I have "Climbing Washington"...wondering if it is enough. And how long does it take to get there from Seattle. fruit.gif

Chazandbruno, FYI, also see this thread .

Drive time from Seattle is about 2.5 hours.

Dox

iain said:

Uncle_Tricky said:

and maybe I was climbing the wrong crack.

yellaf.gif so true. I found "developing forearms" to be a tad stiff for 5.9 in places.

You mean, like, the exit move? Locked armbar and can't move anything or ya peel? Yah, I know about that... wazzup.gif Inverted a cam on a whipper from the exit move... thumbs_down.gif

chazandbruno said:

My climbing buddy and I are thinking about going to RC soon. Do you guys know where can i get a good route book? I have "Climbing Washington"...wondering if it is enough. And how long does it take to get there from Seattle. fruit.gif

The "Quick and Dirty" guide is aptly named, but it's handy when you have a best-of guide with good reference points. That's especially true if you're looking for easy or moderate climbs. And it's easy to photocopy because it's like a Kinko's special in the first place and the photos are basically unusable anyway. cantfocus.gif

• 7 months later...

Actually it's Andesite, which is half basalt.

Andesite is a fine-grained, extrusive igneous rock. It is intermediate becuase it contains some minerals that are common to rhyolite, and some common to basalt. It is always aphanitic and gray. It can look very much like basalt to the unaided eye, but it is usually less dark or greenish in color. Andesite magma is viscous and forms thick lava flows or domes.

What is the Rock at Royal Columns?

Martin is correct. Too many people cornfuze columnar basalt with andesite.

Move upstream about a mile to The Bend, and you do start to see a more classic exhibition of what most peeps regard as columnar basalt. Still, it's andesite. Moon Rocks, still further upstream, is the same stuff.

Now, if you want to see a really classic example of columnar basalt (and capped by entablature), go to Wildcat Wall, up the Wildcat Creek drainage. Now that is columnar basalt!

• 2 weeks later...

my 2 cents on RC ratings...

One reason they feel so stiff is that the routes are generally dead vertical for the whole pitch. If it's 5.8 it's 5.8 for 100'. I found that cams would often walk as the cracks often have internal flaring - its one place I've found my old hexes useful - especially as the cracks widen towards the top. I found focusing on finding good foot holds key to being able to send a pitch without needing to rest on gear.

It's a great place for climbing. I think the area in the Bend by Salmon Song has 5 or 6 A+ climbs in about 30 feet.

Watch for rattle snakes - especially the young ones that don't have good "poison" control.

I agree with that. A lot of routes at Smith Rock, for example seem graded for one or two moves (excluding the gorge). Tieton frequently seems continuous for the grade (as it probably should be, right?)

Also, some of those climbs are just really weird and put you in strange positions, making you think more than you might normally need to. Others are more normal.

• 2 weeks later...

My $.02 on Royal Columns ratings

I find the RC ratings to be very close to how baslt is rated in the Columbia river gorge (Broughton's and Beacon)....a bit on the stiff side, with some exceptions.

Orange Sunshine 10b

Seems to be right on the mark. 10a-ish lower down, 10b-ish up top.

The .8 crack just right of Orange Sunshine (I forget the name)

Felt stiff at .8

This is in contrast to Vantage where I thought the ratings were on the soft side on many climbs.