converting cubic inches to cubic litres

allison

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, there's no such thing as a "cubic Litre". A litre is already a volumetric unit.

An easy thing to remember is that about 61 cubic inches is roughly equal to a litre. Example: A 3,000 ci pack ~ 50L. Howz that?

...sobo

PS: If you'd like the actual conversion formula , PM me or see erik's hint.

Allison, "cubic litres" is redundant. A "litre" is already a cubic measure (i.e., a volume).

Here's a typical conversion string:

1 U.S. gallon = 231 cu. inches = 3.7853 L

And thus, 1 cubic inch = 0.01639 L

Or, going the other way, 61.03 cu. inches = 1 L

Sorry to hear you have to deal with a Canadian unit of measure. cantfocus.gif

allison said:

My apologies sobo.

I need something more precise than your rough guesstimate system, thx.

OK, howz this...

1 inch=2.54 cm

1 cubic cm=1 mL

1000 ml=1 L

You now have all the unit conversions you need to calculate the value out to any number of decimal places you want to. You will need a calculator that can do exponents, or work out the "cubes" on paper. If you want to see the actual unit-consistent (factor label) calculation, PM me.

...sobo

JoshK said:

I prefer it to be in number of "cocaine bails" I can smuggle...

AKA "square grouper"

WARNING: Thread drift...

Walked into the Carribean Club in Key Largo after work one evening back in the early 80's. Sat down at the bar with some co-workers and started drinking when someone says, "Hey, check that out." Across from the place was a small strip of beach. Sitting half out of the water was a distinctive-cube shaped object. We all pondered it for a while until it got dark enough and we got drunk enough to forget.

The owner told us the next evening that sometime soon after closing, a van pulled up in the side parking lot and two guys jumped out, ran over and grabbed the bail, loaded it into the van and split the scene.

Pretty common jetsom in the Keys about that time.

for people comparing packs in stores, multiply liters by 60 to get a very close conversion ration:

30 liter packs, about 1800 ci in; 50 liter packs, about 3000 cu/in.

but maybe allison won't like this advice, because i work in a gear shop and sell gear for a living.

sobo said:

allison said:

My apologies sobo.

OK, howz this...

1 inch=2.54 cm

1 cubic cm=1 mL

1000 ml=1 L

You now have all the unit conversions you need to calculate the value out to any number of decimal places you want to. You will need a calculator that can do exponents, or work out the "cubes" on paper. If you want to see the actual unit-consistent (factor label) calculation, PM me.

...sobo

I think you can only have two decimal places there, buddy. How many significant figures do you have in your least accurate number?

Necronomicon said:

sobo said:

1 inch=2.54 cm

1 cubic cm=1 mL

1000 ml=1 L

I think you can only have two decimal places there, buddy. How many significant figures do you have in your least accurate number?

2.54 is exact. You can drag out the decimal places as much as you want with these conversions. However, don't forget that any measurement you take (or any other human has taken) won't be exact, so that must be taken into consideration.

I was just talking with a fellow student who works at NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) and he told me they have an "atomic" clock at NIST that had to be re-calibrated when moved from the basement to the third floor due to a difference in gravity and hence a difference in relativistic effect! Holy Shit!

is-laser.jpg

Necronomicon said:

sobo said:

allison said:

My apologies sobo.

OK, howz this...

1 inch=2.54 cm

1 cubic cm=1 mL

1000 ml=1 L

...sobo

Necro,

What Ursa Eagle said, but I know what your line of reasoning is to make the statement that you did. Because all the unit conversion values are exact conversion values, the number of places to the right of the decimal point can be any number you desire for the conversion value of cubic inches to litres and vice versa. However, when you introduce the volume of the pack, pot, sleeping bag, whatever you want to convert, the number of significant digits is determined by that volume, and the number of significant digits it contains. QED

...sobo