Skiing Glaciers?

cracked

I read a lot of TRs of people skiing routes like the Emmons on Rainier, Coleman-Deming on Baker, or Sitkum Glacier on Glacier Peak. Is this justifiable? When I did the Sitkum it was late season (August?) and there were many crevasses. The moat next to the cleaver was scary. My partner's leg punched through a snowbridge on the upper glacier. Other than probing, it would have been impossible to detect. On the Easton of Baker there were also plenty of crevasses. Personally, I would be reluctant to go up any of the big volcanoes without a rope. What do you think?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, It's a sure sign of spring when we have this discussion. If you do a search, you'll find a few threads on this subject on cc.com.

I ski unroped on glaciers all the time. I'm sure I would rope up if the conditions were total sketch; however just try skiing roped up once and you'll learn how hard and unfun it is.

It really really helps to have a lot of glacier travel experience. If you don't you should rope up a lot more often.