Olympus All weather digital camera

David_Parker

Ok, i read the digital camera thread and nobody mentioned this camera. They have the stylus 400 and the stylus 300. The only difference is the pixels and price. The 400 has 4.23 megapixels ($499 retail) and the 300 has 3.34 megapixels for $399 retail. I found the 300 for $299 on a website camera store. That SEEMS like a good deal. I have generaly been favorable towards Olympus cameras. I really like their size and weight and this one even offers short video clips of 40 seconds so I can make a ski movie or film sportclimbers taking wippers! Any comments?

Here is full specs:

http://www.buyritedigital.com/main/propage.cfm?part=1216

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

steve's digicams has good reviews:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/stylus300.html

it doesn't look like it has full manual controls, but you'd rarely use those anyway. the shot to shot delay of 4 seconds seems a little long for me, but my canon s-30 is probably only sligthly faster. the weather resistance is a feature i looked for but wasn't available when i brought mine. on the other hand, i have a nice padded weather proof lowe pro pouch for it that works nicely, so it really hasn't been much of an issue. i'm not sure i would choose a camera based solely on "weather resistance". it's not "water proof" so you can't drop in a stream anyway (i once did this to an slr - but hey it survived). good luck.

p.s. thanks for the mazama party.

mbcracken said:

A site to follow for coupons is here. There seems to be a coupon for Canons from DellSB about every 2-3 weeks. For example, the Canon S400 has been discounted to $399. This morning they are also listing some Nikon coupons.

Happy shopping... bigdrink.gif

-Mike

For those that have money right now...The site mentioned above is listing a bunch of coupons for Canons at the Dell SB site. Canon S400 for $399.

-Mike

Dave,

I'm not a Tech Wennie when it comes to electronic shit...I'm pretty clueless.

I knew I wanted at least 3 mega pixels, and telephoto. The all weather feature caught my eye, first one I had seen (I figure it's good for those ice climbing days). And I have owned a Olympus 35mil for a couple of years and have been very happy with the picture quality. Some folks don't believe some of my photos were taken with a point and shoot.

We bought it at Office Depot in U village for around 350 or something. Probly could have found it cheaper, but it was a spur of the moment impulse buy. Just doing our part to keep the economy afloat bigdrink.gif

The pic of Green Dragon in the Big Wall gallery was taken with this camera. That is the only use it has had so far.

Lambone,

I just ordered one! $313 plus $20 shipping. Just wondering what your experience with battery life has been? Also, how fast do you fill up the 16mg card that comes with the camera? I ordered extra battery and 64 mg card for another $80+. Don't want to run out in the middle of a Pickett trip!!! Did you get a case too? The one they were offering looked bogus so I didn't get it. Usually aftermarket stuff that is better.

i would go for a 128 meg card or higher. you do need to check what size card is compatible for your camera. the 16mg won't last squat. for my canon s30 anyway the battery lasts about as amny shots as it takes to fill a 128 card. 128 meg cards should go for about $60. i played with the olympus in the store the other day and it is really light and small, about the same as the film stylus epic.

Yeah, I can get the 128mg for only $10 more. Maybe I should change my order?

The thing that kinda pissed me off was that I already had an Olympus for my office work and this new Olympus uses a different type media card, so I need new cards AND a new reader! I pretty much already knew it's the accessories where they get you and make the $$$!

Edited by David_Parker

If it's not too late I would get a 256 card. But then I got the Canon s40 and it is 4mp. I think I get around 250 pictures with it. Cards are so cheap I'd rather have a bit too much memory than be running right at the edge on a longer trip, though you can always borrow a card from anyone.

Speaking of which, the extra batt I got for mine is shit. Any recommmmendations?

I got the camera and this thing rocks! Just need a week to figure out all the minute things you can do. The full manual is 170 pages! I was amazed at it's size, smaller than I expected. The stylus 400 comes in 4.+ pixels for those who want more (add $100). 3.+ seemed fine for me. As I mentioned, I insisted on the ALL WEATHER feature and Olympus quality and that is why I selected this camera. At $313, I think it's a great value.