AlienSoul

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of reasons for early season:

1. Avoid the huge crowds (especially so on weekends)

2. The bergshrund is filled in

I think the 'shrund is now exposed but can be negotiated fairly easily by walking around to the left of it.

So if I wait until June it isn't going to become undoable?

I am asking because I am going to be in Seattle for the next month in training so it won't be until June that I have a free weekend. Plus I need to buy some more gear and find a pard'ner for the climb. Anyone want to head up there some weekend in June and let a noob tag along?

hahaha.gif

No, it's totally doable in June and the summer months. In fact, that's when most folks do it. I just think that most folks on the board here would agree that it's a more enjoyable climb in the Spring months and even in the Winter (at least from the South side starting at Timberline Lodge).

If you go for it in June I would suggest you pick an evening with a full moon (or close to it) and leave timberline between 10:00pm and midnight depending on how fast or slow you plan on moving. Try to hit the summit just before the sun comes up. When I have done this there are usually very few people on the summit, you get to watch the sun rise and I typically don't run into the masses until I am on the hogs back. This is assuming you are planning on doing the south side.

The reason to do it now is that the mountain is covered with snow. hiking on snow is much more fun than hiking the dusty hot volcanic shitpile that the S Side route becomes in the summer months, especially late summer when the Palmer melts out.

That, and there are less people to contend with in the early season. Even so, there will be ALOT of people if you go on a good weather weekend.