Mountaineering Boots

Dawg

I recently bought a pair of Salomon Super Mountain 9 Snow and Ice boots. I was wondering if I will be able to use them as a general alpine mountaineering boots or are they too stiff for that type of use. If anyone has any ideas i would appreciate the help.

Peace

Nick

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo Dawg,

I think it deppends on what kind of General Mountaineering your talking about? If you mean a Volcano then they are perfect. If you mean the North Ridge of Stuart, then they are too much.

Either way, Solomon makes good boots, and you should be happy with them. Maybe eventualy get a cheaper and lighter boot for trips when you don't need a big boot. I have a pair of La Sportiva S's for that case, and they are great for most things.

As with all heavy leather boots, plan on a long and possibly painful breakin period. Don't wait until 2 days before you climb Baker or Rainier to start wearing them around the house.

They should be fine for 3 season use although they are pretty stiff and thin soled - thus, more of a technical climbing boot than a glacier slogger.

I got 'em when they first came out about 5 years ago (Super 9 Guides), and they've gotten pretty floppy and comfortable. They suck frontpointing now, but I can hike miles in them without too much trouble. They're the perfect boots for most of the bigger stuff around here that doesn't require a lot of fifth class climbing.

I've had my Super Mountain 9 Guides for 4 years and use them for everything.... general mountaineering, alpine and steep ice.

My only complaint is that the Contagrip rubber they use for the sole is quite soft, and wears quickly. That being said, I took them to a dealer last fall, and got them resoled by Salomon for only CDN$50. thumbs_up.gif