Mt. Stuart permit question

AOC

Does anyone have information about access to Stuart this summer? We are planning a 2 day mid-week climb of the north ridge in early August. I know bridge construction will affect access to the Stuart Lake trailhead, but I was told by the F.S. that no advance permits are being issued for Stuart, even for our intended route from the south (Ingall's Pass trail). If possible, we'd like to avoid a lottery as we are flying in from New York and Chicago. Thanks for any info.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

you dont need to get an overnight permit for stuart?? donst listen to those people, when do you think the last time they left the office?

all you need from ingalls is to fill out the permit in the parking lot. there is no quota to camp at ingalls or whatever...

all n ridge of stuart permits can be handled at the parking lot and you don't need to interact with any of those bereaucrats!

have fun and be safe!!

and yes technically the mtneers creek road and all it's access points on closed for the summer.. was told by one of those louts(am i a hypocrit now??!! the_finger.gif ) that all trailheads off of mnteers creek road are essesntially closed.

A couple notes to append to Erik's "I hate permits" comments. There is no quota for Ingall's permits. Technically, N. Ridge of Stuart

is probably in the Enchantment permit area but the quota'd permits are for overnights. So, approach the Ridge from Ingalls

with a trailhead permit and "plan" to not overnight within the permit area. If a bivouac happens for

"safety's" sake then so be it.

BTW, N. Ridge is a crappy route that nobody's heard of. Haha, just kidding. It'll turn your crank. bigdrink.gif

warfield

you are incorrect my friend.

if anythig it would fall under the stuart lake camping permit area. and not the enchantment basin permit zone.

though i am still waiting to see a ranger off of the trail.

i didnt say i hated permits, all my dislike in the previous post was targeted at the deforrest circus in general!

thanks buddy! wave.gif

No problemo Erik and you are right. I was referring generically to the permit region as "Enchantment" but yes, this one would

be Stuart. The main issue is that the Enchanment/Stuart area is subject to the same highly restrictive quota

sytem for camping and that climbers should, when speaking with said DeForest Service personnel, always state their

intent to climb within the permit region during the day only. As Erik says, it is unlikely as hell one will encounter a ranger

at a bivouac site that was not "planned".

Though bro does need to get the pay to play permit to park at Ingalls Lake Trailhead.

Also, if you plan on hackysacking in the parking lot prior to departure you are going to need a permit for that. You can apply for one by filing a 1176 Sec. 23-129 form, which you can request by filing a 720 Sec. 43 form. If you plan to expel any bodily fluids or solids while in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness you will also need a permit signed in triplicate and to pay a $50 fee for every ounce of urine or fecal matter expelled.

Oh yeah! Outlaw climbing, I'm excited. fruit.gif

AOC and I were too exceedingly legal last year, actually showing up on our permitted day at Thumb Rock (Rainer). Who the hell ever does that?!

This years trip we'll wind up in the Deforest service slammer in WallaWalla, Washington...

HernyG said:

Oh yeah! Outlaw climbing, I'm excited. fruit.gif

This years trip we'll wind up in the Deforest service slammer in WallaWalla, Washington...

There's plenty of firepower on this site; we'll bust you out!!! Just kidding. The Tool has to waddle after you and catch you first bro. Buy a camo bivy sack.

erik said:

warfield

You guys are, in fact, both correct. The Enchantments permit (fewer available) covers the whole dam shebang, while Stuart Lake covers Stuart. For example, if you were to want to go in and camp *both* near Stuart and Colchuck Lake, you would get an Enchantments permit.

All that said, Teanaway River access, through Esmerelda Basin and Ingalls, is the way to go for NR Stuart.

One comment I have is that since you are going midweek, you are probably not going to see anyone, backcountry ranger or otherwise, regardless of which way you decide to approach. You will likely have the route and mountain to yourselves...enjoy!

Alex

Alex said:

erik said:

warfield

You guys are, in fact, both correct. The Enchantments permit (fewer available) covers the whole dam shebang, while Stuart Lake covers Stuart. For example, if you were to want to go in and camp *both* near Stuart and Colchuck Lake, you would get an Enchantments permit.

All that said, Teanaway River access, through Esmerelda Basin and Ingalls, is the way to go for NR Stuart.

One comment I have is that since you are going midweek, you are probably not going to see anyone, backcountry ranger or otherwise, regardless of which way you decide to approach. You will likely have the route and mountain to yourselves...enjoy!

Alex

I wish I was so lucky. I had 3 other parties on route last summer on a wednesday.

Alex said:

I like the Mountaineer Creek approach and the Sherpa Glacier descent, though we have debated this before and I know that most people go in via Ingalls and there are many who will argue that it is the ONLY way to go.

There's also the Mountaineer Creek Approach, descend to Ingalls and thumb a ride from the trailhead to Cle Elum and hope that a friend will come and pick you up and drive you to your car back at Eightmile....

We called it the Stuart/N Ridge to Cle Elum and get stranded traverse. Requires both climbing and negotiating skills. rolleyes.gif