Novice climbers want to climb Rainer

Wood

Two novice climbers want to climb Rainier. We have the gear, have read the books, including Freedom of the Hills, and have been working to be in shape. We have experience only on smaller mountains. We are looking for partners with more experience to climb Rainier. Don't really want to do the RMI deal and hope it is not the only option. If anybody is interested, please respond.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

realistically, i would say you would need at least t experienced people with you... so it might be difficult to find... have you ever practiced self arrest or crevasse rescue? because that is something you HAVE to have nailed perfectly... chances are it wont happen to you, but it happened once to my climbing partner and i was lucky (as was he) that i had my shit dialed... just taking a guy who knows shit isn't really good enough... what if he goes in? shit hits the fan and someone dies... but if you have practiced that stuff out there, you should be fine with a guide... you can probably practice that stuff by yourself in a crevasse lower down on the mountain (or on baker) and it would be ok... i (or someone else here) could lend a hand in that... PM me if you are interested...

Want to trust your lives to somebody that claims to have experience? shocked.gif The mountain is an unforgiving place. A guide is a small price to pay to make sure you get back safely. If you have the time and really want to make a committment to the sport, you need to take a beginning class such as the Mountaineers, community colleges, or other alpine clubs.

obsydian said:

If you have the time and really want to make a committment to the sport, you need to take a beginning class such as the Mountaineers, community colleges, or other alpine clubs.

Bullshit. You don't learn much in groups. Get experience, read the books, practice crevasse rescue, etc, and do it. Stay away form the groups.

obsydian said:

Want to trust your lives to somebody that claims to have experience? shocked.gif The mountain is an unforgiving place. A guide is a small price to pay to make sure you get back safely. If you have the time and really want to make a committment to the sport, you need to take a beginning class such as the Mountaineers, community colleges, or other alpine clubs.

yelrotflmao.gif

Wood, have you thought about trying some of the other Volcanos before Rainier? Adams, Glacier, and Baker all have some cool routes that would be good warm ups for the big one. Then you'd be more comfortable, and be more experienced then a lot of people that climb Rainier for the first time. Just don't sleep on topgrin.gif Good LucK!

Do you want to become a climber, or do you just want to climb Rainer? I got in to climbing(7 years ago, shit I'm getting old) by taking a class with some friends. The class emphasized glacier climbing with the graduation being a summit attempt of the big R. We (me and my buddies) completed the class and all summited Rainer. After the climb none of them ever climbed again. I however, was hooked. The rest is history. So- if you just want to knock off Rainer, I would recomend RMI (save you the time and $ of buying all the gear). If you want to get into climbing- start hooking up with people- meet people on this sight- climb something every weekend- Rainer isn't really that great of a climb.

This must be a common problem. I want to get into climbing also but it is hard to find people who will let you tag along when you are just starting. I have climbed Adams but I don't really consider that much of a climb. I understand that taking novice climbers up a mountain can be slow/boring, but you can only learn so much from books.

AlienSoul said:

This must be a common problem. I want to get into climbing also but it is hard to find people who will let you tag along when you are just starting. I have climbed Adams but I don't really consider that much of a climb. I understand that taking novice climbers up a mountain can be slow/boring, but you can only learn so much from books.

Most mountain climbing is slow/boring anyway. Might as well make it more interesting by taking a neophyte with.

Bug said:

specialed said:

I'm too sexy to be a mountain guide.

That barmaid at Gustav's was looking at me dude.

actually if see knew you were a guide, she was wondering if you spoke hungarian, based or if mommy was going to pay your bill!!!

erik said:

Bug said:

specialed said:

actually if see knew you were a guide, she was wondering if you spoke hungarian, based or if mommy was going to pay your bill!!!

yelrotflmao.gif

Or she was wondering what the fuck you were doing with a popsicle up your piehole at a bar.

specialed said:

Most mountain climbing is slow/boring anyway.

Here's a fun game if you only have weather for a boring slog. Get ahold of two heart monitors and race up a route like Hood's south side. First one to the top wins. The catch is you have to keep your heart rate below a certain maximum the whole way.

specialed said:

erik said:

Bug said:

specialed said:

yelrotflmao.gif

Or she was wondering what the fuck you were doing with a popsicle up your piehole at a bar.

yelrotflmao.gifhahaha.gif

iain said:

specialed said:

Here's a fun game if you only have weather for a boring slog. Get ahold of two heart monitors and race up a route like Hood's south side. First one to the top wins. The catch is you have to keep your heart rate below a certain maximum the whole way.

And if you could circumnavigate Hood in that style they might let you be a guide.

specialed said:

iain said:

specialed said:

And if you could circumnavigate Hood in that style they might let you be a guide.

pfft

we all know mt baker is the true alpine circumnavigation. atleast for real expedition guides.