Punctured Lung Question

mneagle said:

I usually carry a vial of Toradol (an NSAID) and a small syringe to give an intramuscular shot for fast and very effective pain relief in case of a major injury. Narcotics make me puke my guts out.

bigdrink.gif

I like it ...A shot in each calf instead of a GU! grin.gif

-Mike

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
icegirl said:

One thing no one has mentioned here is that the NSAID's make you bleed more, and Tylenol in very high doses can damage the liver. There is just no right answer is there (other than not getting injured in the first place) smile.gif

I believe it is aspirin that is the worst for bleeding. It inhibits platelet aggregation irreversibly. The other NSAID to too but in reversible fashion.

Fairweather mentioned the antihistamine Benedryl. I second that. It can be used in case of allergic reaction, as in the case of bee stings, and it can help stop high altitude coughing (at least it had that effect on me). It also helps you get to sleep.

while an antihistamine will reverse the effects of anaphylaxis, its effects come far too slowly to do any good. In the case of the bee sting allergic reaction you mention, injectable ephinephrine would be necessary as vasoconstrictor to insure an airway until the antihistamine can do its job. this is subject to the severity of the allergic reaction.

catbirdseat said:

icegirl said:

One thing no one has mentioned here is that the NSAID's make you

I believe it is aspirin that is the worst for bleeding. It inhibits platelet aggregation irreversibly. The other NSAID to too but in reversible fashion.

Fairweather mentioned the antihistamine Benedryl. I second that. It can be used in case of allergic reaction, as in the case of bee stings, and it can help stop high altitude coughing (at least it had that effect on me). It also helps you get to sleep.

Benedryl... the wonderdrug...

I don't know about the other NSAIDS being more reversable than asprin. All I know is that they all make people bleed more.