anybody shred this weekend?

ExtremoMtDude

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got pretty ripped up trying to ACCESS the alpine to ski. Road was so overgrown the we counted about 7 woody species and visability was down to about 75m hellno3d.gif. Had to employ the chuck skiis ahead 2m and crawl through criss crossing alders method. Moved 700M in 1hr hahaha.gif. Decided to go climb at squamish instead thumbs_up.gif

A friend and I climbed the Tilly Jane trail just for fun. We didn’t hit snow until around 4,900’ after which there were only a few spots of bare ground to cross. Made it to the A-frame in 1hr45m and continued up along the Southern ridge of the Elliot until we got to 7,300’. As usual, the snow was pretty wind-impacted up there and it sure didn’t look like it’d be getting much better further up, so we pulled the pin and ripped back down over variable ice and crust to treeline where conditions improved muchly. For the rest of the afternooon we followed the “never leave good snow to find good snow” school and fired-off laps of tree shots before heading down trail. The trail had corned up nicely and we were able to fly down to snowline with only a little mowing of beargrass. No epics of mountaineering will be written about our trip. We just had a fun day on skis.

Good to see you here, Extremo! Good luck with that knee. bigdrink.gif

gapertimmy said:

DAMN! drooool. I spent my weekend doing a SAR navigation GPS course. The weather was shite here in central OR. Saturday had rain, hail and then snow in town.

Glad you guys had a good time up there

rnt u glad u moved to paradise?

yellaf.gif

Nice pics guys.

We were planning on skiing the south side of Black but decided otherwise when the route from Heather Pass looked less interesting than I had remembered it. We decided to see if it was possible to access the basin below the Lyall Gl from Maple Pass. Turned out to be straight forward. Skied some powder on those north facing slopes and back to the highway via Rainy Lake. A nice, scenic tour. I was surprised to see at least one huge, rapidly melting, frozen waterfall above Rainy Lake.

Now the Olympics are taunting me through my office window: "come ski me, come ski meeeeee!" they seem to be chanting.