Cheap nylon windshells vs. high-tech soft shells?

joshs

I feel like this must have been addressed before, but I did a search for ("schoeller" and "nylon") and didn't find anything. Anyway, I'm torn between buying the cheapest pair of Schoeller Dryskin pants I can find (e.g. MEC Ferrata tights, about $50 US) and a pair of simple nylon windpants (e.g. GoLite Trunk, which I can get for $18). Aside from the price difference, what are the pros & cons of each? Having never used either, I would expect the high-tech fabric to have a higher "cool" factor rolleyes.gif, greater comfort, maybe more water-resistance (?), and probably greater durability. However, I know it's heavier and, as I mentioned above, quite a bit more expensive. What would you choose?

-Josh

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alpine start today?

Anyways, I've got a pair of the Ferrata tights and numerous pairs of wind pants. The styling of the MEC tights is pretty square, but they provide insulation (make a good first, or second layer), are abrasion resistant, but are less wind resistant. The tights are actually very much like the old Patagonia rock pants. I'd say they're more practical for climbing (both rock and ice) than shreddable wind pants. Unless you shop at the Goodwill (BTW, you can find some great stuff there if you're persistant).

I'm going climbing.

Thanks for the quick reply! What about non-climbing pursuits such as spring skiing and simple hiking/scrambling? Is durability still a serious issue with the wind pants? If the MEC tights are less wind-resistant, are they also less water-resistant? Which do you think would be more comfortable on a hot summer day--the wind pants (which have no insulation) or the MEC tights (which I suspect might breath a little better)?

-Josh

Josh, the scholler pants are *awesome*. They have without a doubt become my most versitile and often used piece of climbing clothing. I have the ferrata pants, which I think add some pockets and a little looser fit. I also have a ferrata jacket which is great for high abrasion routes.

I use my ferrata pants for ski touring because they breath very well, offer some insulation and are very water resistent. I find unless it's dumping rain or wet snow it's quite hard to get wet through them.

No piece of clothing is going to cover all situations, and both of the pieces you mention would be great for different things, but I would probably pick the schoeller stuff personally because it's pretty hard to find a situation where I *wouldn't* want them along.

-josh

I agree totally with JoshK. While they both have their plusses and minuses, I have yet to find a situation where I'd rather have cheap windpants instead of my schoellers. I have two pairs of stretch-woven pants, a pair of black stretch-wovens (I'm not sure if it's actually schoeller or not) from Moonstone a few years back, and a beige schoeller dynamic pair that REI makes. The black are perfect for winter persuits where I use them as a single layer. I'll be using the beige this summer on my glacier climbs, a step-up from the mountie/mazama uniform of shorts over polypro. I used the beige last weekend down in the Three Sisters Wilderness in some heavy sun on snow, and was perfectly comfortable in them. (I was comfortable in my t-shirt rather than long-sleeve polypro to give an indication of how warm it felt.)

schoeller is OVERPRICED. I never had it 4 years ago and it's still not worth it.

I do like light nylon shells in the summer. If you can get a deal on some golite and or wild things stuff it's worth the sale price.

I never have many regrets when torching or ruining a pair of their stuff as long as I didnt pay the retail costs and got it for a deal.

It was cheap climbing over 11000 feet in high winds over 60MPH constantly of the Canadian Rockies in cheap thin stuff that WORKED.

Charlie said:

Sphinx said:

"The Wittle Crying Kitten "

yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifupload5-0384NoWhining.gif

Must have been rough- sitting at your computer-waiting all weekend for everyone to get back from climbing- so you'd have some human interaction-huh!!??

Hah, I went skiing yesterday. What did you do? Did you cry.gif? yellaf.gifyellaf.gif