Sport climbing for the new millenium

DPS

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dearest Matt,

I'll assume your questions are not rhetorical and will answer your questions with more questions:

1) Why does anyone climb?

2) Does chipping at a crag you will never visit affect your climbing experience? Does garbage on the South Col of Everest affect you if you never go there? Can a male have an opinion on abortion?

I’m withdrawing my stupid comments from this thread just like Dan did. I think Dan’s comments were unintentionally inflamatory, but so were many of our responses, including mine. I apologize. I don’t mind arguing an issue, but somehow this thread has gotten out of hand. Now even the typically good humored Mike Adamson is telling everybody who thinks that they can disagree with Dan to #$$% off. That’s no fun. (… by the way Mike I sure enjoy your website. Good job.)

Peace everybody. I need a cleansing experience, where’s the guy who climbed Granite mountain last week and loved every minute of it, now that’s cool.

Regards

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Every now and again (like once a day) I do something I regret. The original post i made is one of those. I'm just glad folks like mikeadam and Caveman bring it back every so often so I can remember what an ass I can be.

[ 11-05-2002, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: danielpatricksmith ]

The North Face has been climbed, and in winter to boot. We were just on a new variation. It is the North Face of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I still think it is the coolest route I have ever been on.

[ 11-05-2002, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: danielpatricksmith ]

quote:

Originally posted by danielpatricksmith:

Mr Goodtime;

I honestly can't really put my finger on what I might have said that pissed everyone off so much. Perhaps it was that I gently suggested that folks might get more enjoyment from climbing by taking a more exploratory approach to climbing in the Cascades. =)

BTW, 'Sport Climbing for the New Millenium' is a registered tradmark of Elitist Bastard, LLC, all rights reserved.

If that's what you meant, why did't you just say that ?

quote:

posted 11-05-2002 01:26 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Goodtime;

I honestly can't really put my finger on what I might have said that pissed everyone off so much. Perhaps it was that I gently suggested that folks might get more enjoyment from climbing by taking a more exploratory approach to climbing in the Cascades. =)

BTW, 'Sport Climbing for the New Millenium' is a registered tradmark of Elitist Bastard, LLC, all rights reserved.

I don't know, I like the sound of my own fingers typing?

quote:

quote:

posted 11-05-2002 01:26 PM

quote:

Mr Goodtime;

I don't know, I like the sound of my own fingers typing?

l like the exploratory aspect, it just takes experience to be able to know when ice is climbable, protectable, and all that other shiz, otherwise one can easily get in over yer head. But that's what often makes it fun for me. Spent three days in the eldorado area climbing stuff that's not in any books, it was super easy trad and mixed alpine stuff but one of the funnest trips I've done.

In my humble opinion, the analogy of sport climbing is not very good.

Pre-protected dry tool mixed routes may be the "sport climbing for the new milenium" but leading a steep early season unconsolidated WI-heinous requires more balls than just about anything in mountaineering except for perhaps extreme ski mountaineering descents. Ice climbing in this fashion is not even close to sport climbing in termsof safety and lack of commitment. If anything hairball water ice with bad pro makes mountain and gullly ice climbing seem somewhat tame (if avy condtions are stable). Just my two cents.

[big Drink]

The next level will be applying sport dry tooling to big overhanging mountain faces.

Only gym climbers and sport ice gymnasts will be able to take us there- not weekend mountaineers.