where do I go for instruction

toptimmy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cobra said:

toptimmy said:

this is the best yet.I could be A belay slave that provides beer.

Best and cheapest way to learn for most people.

Only "best" if your goal is to become a belay slave. Only "cheapest" if you find "instructors" who are lightweights. wave.gif

chucK said:

Cobra said:

toptimmy said:

Best and cheapest way to learn for most people.

Only "best" if your goal is to become a belay slave. Only "cheapest" if you find "instructors" who are lightweights. wave.gif

If and if and if. Pot is cheaper than beer anyway.

You're too cool for the rest of us. yellowsleep.gif

I have only been taught the very basics belay,foot placements,hand placements all done indoors.I went with private lessons at stone gardens A year ago.I have spent alot of time in the mountains around here and lived in Mt. Shasta area for about 5 years, mostly solo trips up(not to the top) and around the mountain and climbing by myself around castle crags.I am interested in instruction geared more towards Alpine rock if that makes any sense.

Wouldn't NECESSARILY rule out mountaineer classes. Class size depends on branch and what you're really looking for is instructor to student ratio. Tacoma and Olympia run about 1 instructor to four students with rock weekends usually under 30 students per day. Also, it doesn't get a whole lot less expensive than that short of friends teaching friends. Good luck.

toptimmy said:

How old are you? What gear do you have (climbing and bivy)? Have you been in the Enchantments? North Cascades? What grade do you climb at now? And finally, how far can you carry a keg? bigdrink.gif

toptimmy said:

I have only been taught the very basics belay,foot placements,hand placements all done indoors.I went with private lessons at stone gardens A year ago.I have spent alot of time in the mountains around here and lived in Mt. Shasta area for about 5 years, mostly solo trips up(not to the top) and around the mountain and climbing by myself around castle crags.I am interested in instruction geared more towards Alpine rock if that makes any sense.

Determine exactly what you want to learn by looking through books.

Then go and hire a rock guide OR carry lots of ragweed and olympia 12 packs and seek out climbing mentors. Ask your guide or ragweed climbing mentor to show you a few things.

37,most time in washington has been east side of rainier and goat rocks area.I have backpacking gear(tent,stove,bag)but the only climbing gear is shoes,harness and belay device.I dont know what grade I climb at.Im A big guy so I guess I could carry a keg about 20 feet with no ice.too bad they dont have party balls anymore eh?

Actually, I disagree with that. I think you need a certain level of skill before hooking up with partners at pub club becomes realistic. It's not a big threshold to cross though. And if you stick with the board for a little while you'll most likely find a couple of folks that have a similar level of experience and then you can go out and learn together, as long as you are careful, read the books and don't get in over your heads.

toptimmy said:

37,most time in washington has been east side of rainier and goat rocks area.I have backpacking gear(tent,stove,bag)but the only climbing gear is shoes,harness and belay device.I dont know what grade I climb at.Im A big guy so I guess I could carry a keg about 20 feet with no ice.too bad they dont have party balls anymore eh?

I'm meeting a friend in Leavenworth this weekend. Next weekend we could go up to Index if you don't mind two little girls coming along (5 and 7). They talk alot but won't climb. PM me. I'll answer next week.

toptimmy said:

East side of Rainier and the Goat Rocks? Where've you found rock to climb in there? It's all choss in the GR Wilderness area. Has it been more hiking/scrambling than climbing? Did you live over here on the eastside?

I live in Yakivegas; maybe we could hook up sometime. I'm early 40s, and used to be a hardman trad climber. Now I'm just an old hardman wannabeagain. If interested, PM me.