Kong Adjustable FIfi

Lambone

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

fern said:YMMV but I use (amount to tie into belay loop) + (fully extended arm) + (enough to wrap around hand to yank) + (amount to tie a stopper knot)

And add a little bit, cause you can always reach further than you think when you are desperate!

How are you bounce testing with a fifi? confused.gif When I'm aiding, I usually have my fifi holding me in nice and tight into my lower piece, especially if I'm top stepping, so it's not available for any other use. I test the next piece by clipping a set of etriers in and tugging and weighting those. Am I missing some trick here?

full reach is nice for bolt ladders and fixed gear too. Hook the piece and jack yourself up. Also overhangs and roofs. If you make it too short you can't use it long. If you decide it's too long then chop it off. It can get tangly for sure, I tie a bighted overhand for the stopper knot and clip that off to the side sometimes. They are pretty versatile but not a book-learning widget. Go out and use it and figure it out.

I’ll be interested in hearing what you think of your fifi after you’ve used it. I bought one last year, after reading of its virtues from ptpp. After some experimenting , it has found a home at the bottom of my blue gear tub. My 2 main gripes: 1) the hook adds to the cluster via its hook like nature. 2) the kong hook appears to have less room in the concave section of the hook then some other fifi hooks and kept surprising me by coming unhooked when I unweighted it.

After some experimenting with 1) the kong hook, 2) metolius adjustable 3) yates adjustable and 4) carabiners at diff lengths on pocket daisy, I found I like the yates adjustable best as the tool for clipping in short after I’ve moved up in my aiders. I like the carabiner over the hook, because hooks equal cluster. I liked the yates adjustable because it is the easiest to lengthen (all of them can be made shorter easy enough).

Seems to me most of the advantages of the kong fifi hook were made obsolete by adjustable daisys. IMHO

Never said bounce did I???

You said TEST the next piece with bodyweight...for me this woulkd be a bounce test...

Mark, I am going to try it with my Met Adjustables. I have had a hellava time top-stepping with those daisies, can't legthen them when I need to because they are under tension. Hope fully the fifi combo will work better.

Anyway, thanks for the info folks, can't wait to try it out.

Lambone said:

Mark, I am going to try it with my Met Adjustables. I have had a hellava time top-stepping with those daisies, can't legthen them when I need to because they are under tension.

I had the same problem with the met adj, the yates can be lengthened under tension and I like having that option.

I have to admit that the only gripe I have with the Adj.Fifi is that I find it a bit tricky to lengthenit when you want to top step and it's under tension. I definitely take a bit of finesse. Never tried the Yates Adj.Daisy. I'd like to try it though.

MysticNacho said:

Anybody use adjustable aiders? How do you like 'em?

They suck. Wanna buy some? I have the Metolius adjustable aiders and they are great for jugging but suck ass for aiding. Its easier to step up in traditional aiders than to constantly futz with the adjustments on the adjustable aiders.

I use adjustable daisies though and love 'em. I also use a regular fifi girthed to my harness for those intimate moments with my piece. I use one adjustable daisy on a biner with a set of aiders, clip in to the top piece with this set-up, give it a few hard yanks then step over and weight it.

Ask six climbers the best way to aid and get 10 answers.

cheers