Lower Icicle Canyon/Leavenworth

Retread

Have you ever climbed the 15 or so routes that are

located on Sam Hill and the Underhill at Lower

Icicle Canyon near Leavenworth, Washington? If

you have been there recently, you may have

noticed that these routes are located on private

lands that are currently for sale. Sale of this

acreage will likely preclude future climbing access.

I am prepared to fund half of the purchase of this

land, but need additional help to fund the other

half. The property totals 40 acres and can be

segregated into two 20 acre parcels to allow for

ownership by two separate purchasers. The 20 acre

parcel that is adjacent to the National Forest, which

includes the climbing area, would be acquired by

the co-purchaser I am seeking through this posting.

The co-purchaser could retain this parcel, or

possibly sell it to the Forest Service at some future

date. The Forest Service has an interest in

acquiring this parcel, but will not likely have funds

available for such a purchase for several years.

Now the key issue... price. Land around

Leavenworth and in the Icicle Valley has become

very expensive. Particularly this kind of land-- it is

bordered on two sides by National Forest, a third

side by U.S. Fish & Wildlife, Icicle Creek is across

the road, and it has outstanding views of the Alpine

Lakes Wilderness Area. Although price is yet to be

negotiated with the seller, I estimate that, as part of

the larger parcel, the 20 acres could be acquired for

slightly more than $100,000. I know... a lot of

money.

Please message me if you are interested in joining

in buying this land to protect this premier climbing

area.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone talked to the Access Fund about it? The local land trust? What about the owners at the Sleeping Lady Resort? They hold our annual Northwest land trust conference there each year and support land conservation by donating millions of dollars each year. Hariet Bullitt (the Bullitt Foundation) is the owner and has lived in the area since the 1940's. May be worth contacting her. She may be able to buy it and donate it to the National Forest. Call the Methow COnservancy as well and talk to them. Best of luck!

Are there any real estate attorney's out there? What about buying it as a co-op? Where everybody buys a "share". This would be an excellent investment. Might be kinda tough logistically. You could count me in. Buying a share of something that would actually appreciate-imagine that.

slaphappy said:

Retrosaurus said:

Perfect location for a climbers' bunkhouse/hostel. I would love to pay for that before I pay a forest circus campground host.

Truest thing you ever said. bigdrink.gif

Is this a call for privatization of USFS campgrounds? hellno3d.gif

I like the co-op idea. I saw the for sale sign this weekend and thought how cool that would be as a backyard. Too bad corporate America and I parted ways last year...

We've been joking about doing the same with the Index Tavern. We could have two really cool spots to climb and hang.

There's been a ton of good advice about ways to keep this area open-- has anyone followed up on it? Access Fund, Harriot, Chelan Co. land trust, co-op... I think they're all good possibilities, and don't want to see this slide into oblivion. If no one wants to make contacts, I'll put an effort into it--- but it can't happen till I get back into town at the beginning of May.

slaphappy said:

Retrosaurus said:

Perfect location for a climbers' bunkhouse/hostel. I would love to pay for that before I pay a forest circus campground host.

Retro and slap agreeing WHOA!!

I like it bigdrink.gif

I'm still climbing granite at my double secret crag in icicle canyon and you two havn't found me yet wave.gif

richard_noggin said:

slaphappy said:

Retrosaurus said:

Retro and slap agreeing WHOA!!

I like it bigdrink.gif

I'm still climbing granite at my double secret crag in icicle canyon and you two havn't found me yet wave.gif

Don't get your panties all moist there, dickhead, you won't catch us agreeing on much, rest assured. wink.gif and what makes you think I haven't already been to/know about your "double secret" crag? moon.gif

Suzy-blahblahpolishsound- For the most part I agree that the Icicle doesn't need more buildings. However, it would be nice to have a cheaper climber/boater/mt.biker venue that offered primitive camp sites and a small bunkhouse with showers, that was privately owned and run. The property doesn't lend itself to any huge structures, if it did, it would have been snatched up long ago. You are right, there are seemingly endless ideal spots that can be camped at for free (I have utilized many), but do you really think that is such a great idea? How many spots like the recently improved one at Mad Meadows (four huge benches, LARGE fire pit, stacks of firewood, tarps) do you think it will take before we aren't allowed to camp for free at all? It wasn't that long ago that it was "ok" to camp anywhere you wanted to up the Icicle. I know your from there and I understand your desire for no more new buildings but not all of us can live there and make ends meet so we have to rely on different means. The current established camping sucks.

erik said:

fucking boulderers.

FUcking Tribe is more like it...

SLAPyourmonkeytillitsHAPPY- Please remember that it is not "OK" to camp whereever but, they have to "catch" you....

How much is the KOA campground?

Bunkhouse with showers....come on....the icicle isn't the Valley and never will or should be....

Perhaps if you befriended some locals they may let you camp on their property...but, don't ask me as I camp in my parents garage. cantfocus.gif

the truth is, "if you build it THEY will come..." and then the icicle won't be the prestine and vacant place it is....

Sheesh! bigdrink.gif

I've crahed at the turnaround at the "forest land" boulders many times.Three times this year. It's over now, the enforcment is there. I go elsewhere. I WAS VERY BUMMED to see people having camp fires there a couple of weeks ago. It was like a beacon to the man saying FUXOR ME! Bury your shit, be polite if busted and move on to higher ground when the snow melts.

Szay-toomuch-jackoffski,

If you will, there are a few folks in Leavenworth who have been all too kind to open thier home to a few climbers but the term "wear out your welcome" is what comes to mind when I think about where to stay in Leavenworth every weekend. I really appreciate those who have let us park in their driveways or eat dinner with the family or better yet, let us sleep on the couch when it is puking snow outside. For the Leavenworth clan, bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif for you...Thanks.

You could poach the climbers parking lot but give it another year and they will be cracking down on it. You could also pull off at Mad Meadows or pull off somewhere up Mountain View Road but eventually the homes will be built around the bouldering area and climbing bums will be overrun by newlyweds.

You are also correct that the Icicle is not the Valley, better yet it is the Canyon. Eventually it will need a nice place like Branbury Greens or Smith Rock SP for girls who like to shower after climbing and guys who need to shower after being in the mountains for a week.

I think someone should buy the property and hire me to caretake the place. I would love to settle down in Leavenworth some day and if I can't do it now, I will settle for later. Having a place to provide campsites next to a few select climbing spots seems inviting. I think a developed private campground hosted by CLIMBERS would be the best thing that ever happened to the Icicle. They coiuld even charge a few dollars less than 8-mile CG and put them out of business. That place is overrated and hosted by the Parks and we all know how everyone feels about The Park Circus.

my 2 cents.

Edited by Crackbolter