Check out this guy!

jordop

Check out the pics at:

http://www.canada.com/search/story.aspx?id=b61f88c2-d0e5-42a7-9f21-79f99a78fff8

Dag Aabye: The Last Ski Bum

Canada's best-known skiing legend still lives on the edge -- with one more stunt to pull.

Doug Ward

Vancouver Sun

VERNON - One day in February 1969, Dag Aabye skied down the 70-degree slope of The Lions. It was an exercise insane enough to prompt a U.S. ski magazine to give him an award for the most idiotic ski stunt pulled that year.

The run down The Lions, which stick up 5,000 feet behind Grouse Mountain, also put him on the front page of the next day's Vancouver Sun.

"Of course it was a dumb thing to do," Aabye recalled recently, a mischievous smile on his weathered 61-year-old face, while enjoying a libation at Silver Star Resort, the ski area near Vernon where he now lives and works.

"The Lions had never been skied before. But I was young then. Full of piss and vinegar."

Long before extreme skiers and snowboarders replaced downhill racers as the poster boys of the snow sports industry, there was Aabye, a wild mountain man with a shock of blond hair and an instinct to go where no skier had gone before.

"You could call him the first extreme skier -- possibly even the world's first extreme skier," said Nancy Greene Raine, Canada's best-known skiing legend, who lived during the 1960s in Whistler, where Aabye's stunts on skis earned him some local notoriety.

But back to the 1969 descent of The Lions.

It had seemed like a good idea the day before when Aabye suggested the venture over beers to the late Sun photographer Deni Eagland.

Aabye, then 27, who started skiing when he was two, had tackled many of the world's most challenging runs since leaving his home town of Sigdil, Norway.

"The challenge of the south face of The Lions would be another notch in his ski pole," wrote photographer Eagland in his account of the stunt in The Sun.

Eagland accompanied Aabye as he was flown up to a small crested ridge between the peaks in a helicopter. Eagland and helicopter pilot David Alder then flew further down the slope to a vantage point where he could capture Aabye's run on film.

"We watched in awe as Aabye plunged down the slope leaping off mounds and gracefully avoiding trees in beautiful sweeping turns," wrote Eagland.

"But in a split moment the beauty turned to horror as a section of snow about 100 feet wide by 300 feet deep started to slide, carrying Aabye with it.

"It seemed like a giant carpet had been pulled from under him. We stared in terror as the seething mass of snow engulfed Aabye."

The skier's blue jacket popped to the surface then vanished. Eagland and Alder circled the avalanche area for several minutes in the helicopter before seeing a tiny patch of blue at the base of a tree.

"I fell into a tree well. Everything I had was broken: My skis, everything. I didn't have my hat or gloves, nothing. But I was alive. It was pure luck."

Aabye recalled that he knew at the time that the avalanche risk was high. "I knew right from the beginning that I might be in trouble. There was two feet of fresh powder and the snow layer underneath had frozen."

The run down The Lions isn't the only crazy stunt in Aabye ski history. After arriving in Whistler when the ski operation opened in the mid-'60s, Aabye had people shaking their heads when he would balance on one hand on the top of the cafeteria roof. He'd then flip over, ski down and jump off the roof, landing in the parking lot.

Jim McConkey, a Whistler ski legend and pioneer, recalled similar Aabyesque antics.

"I was going up the old T-bar and when I got to the top I saw this guy walking on his hands with skis on. He just flipped over and skied down the hill."

Aabye also skied down the rocky, narrow gondola line at Whistler, terrain that then was avoided by most skiers.

McConkey also remembered the time there was a huge dump of snow on Grouse Mountain and Aabye decided to ski down underneath the gondola.

"I remember going down the gondola and seeing his tracks in the snow. It was very steep and there were rocks and logs."

Only someone like Aabye could have completed such a hairy run, said McConkey. "He was built like a bow-string, all sinew. He was a phenomenal athlete and a great -- what they call today -- extreme skier."

A profile in the winter 2001 issue of Ski Canada magazine calls Aabye the Father of Freeride. Another apt moniker for Aabye could be The Last Ski Bum.

Today Aabye lives at Silver Star where he holds the record for completing the most double-black diamond runs in one day -- 31 on the steep terrain of the Putnam Creek mountain face. Silver Star honored Aabye by naming a ski run after him -- Aabye Road.

Aabye lives rent-free in a converted school bus with a wood stove at the foot of the mountain near Vernon.

He rises early every morning -- about 3 a.m. -- and runs through the dark up an old logging road to the resort. After changing out of his sweats, he dons new clothes and cross-country skis for an hour. (Last year he placed fourth in the world cross-country championships in Quebec in his age group.) He returns to the resort and starts his job as a dishwasher at the Lord Aberdeen Hotel where he also runs a video movie store.

It's a different life than the one he lived in the 1960s. Aabye served in the Norwegian army, which allowed him to develop his skills in skiing and acrobatics. Eventually he moved to Britain where he taught skiing. While at a party in London, he was spotted walking down stairs on his hands. This attracted the interest of a talent agent who convinced Aabye to become a movie stunt man.

The blond Norwegian appeared as a stunt man in about 20 movies, including a few James Bond movies with Sean Connery.

After quitting the cinema in the mid-'60s, Aabye taught skiing for a while in Latin America. Then a friend gave him a free ticket to Vancouver, telling him there was a great new mountain opening up called Whistler. Aabye moved to the fledgling ski operation in 1966. His acrobatic skills on skis were captured in ski movies by Jim Rice, a ski film-maker and rival of Warren Miller.

Aabye spent many years near Squamish as a logger, had a family and divorced. He doesn't talk too much about his personal life but is clearly proud of his daughter, a snowboarder, and his son, a competitive runner.

Aabye is also proud that he's still a mountain man.

"I never really figured out what I would do after I was 60. When I was in my 20s, most people said I would never make it past 30. Then in my 30s, they said I'd never make it past 40. But I'm still here."

Aabye's next big challenge is the 2003 125-kilometre race in Grande Cache, Alta. The event is called the Canadian Death Run -- "death" as in the runners being "dead tired" or looking "like death" or having a "death wish." He's being sponsored by Silver Star to compete in the competition.

It's one more stunt to pull, something to keep Aabye going.

"We have a life to live, right?" "The day you don't have a hill to climb, you might as well forget about it."

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friends and I have often threatened to ski the Lions, meaning the south face of the west peak, and I'm sure it's been done. Can't really tell from the photo though. If it is the s face of the w Lion, then I'd say 70* is about right. The se face of the shoulder to the south would be about the same. But the snow bowl beneath the lions is probably only about 45* at its top.

I've found the few times I've seen "70 degree slopes" mentioend it's more like a bulge or two of 70 degrees with more like 50 degree average. 70% is awfully fucking steep to be anything more than just plain falling. Somebody more familiar with extreme skiing would know better tho.

JoshK said:

I've found the few times I've seen "70 degree slopes" mentioend it's more like a bulge or two of 70 degrees with more like 50 degree average. 70% is awfully fucking steep to be anything more than just plain falling. Somebody more familiar with extreme skiing would know better tho.

70 Degrees (70% would be a nice black diamond slope) is a bit steep - but new hard descents have been in the high 50 degrees's (Robson etc.) The problem for things that steep gets to be conditions i.e. enough snow to ski, but not to sluff (so I hear).

JoshK said:

What angle is the NF of triumph? That's gotta be like 70 degrees and even with our wet snow, it would never have enough snow to ski.

whatever dood

- and i yo yo'd that shit....right b4 we ate his dog for bbq!

Doug Coombs and Patrick Vallencant (sp?) would ski up to 70 degrees but only in perfect conditions. A black run at most ski resorts is only 40-45 degrees. A double black diamond run would be 50 degrees max. The most important things to consider are runout, terrain traps and objective danger. If you are telemarking, make sure you have tall shims or you will "boot out". wink.gif

JoshK said:

Just so we keep things straight a 100% slope is 45 degrees ie 1' rise/ 1' run.

Billygoat said:

Doug Coombs and Patrick Vallencant (sp?) would ski up to 70 degrees but only in perfect conditions. A black run at most ski resorts is only 40-45 degrees. A double black diamond run would be 50 degrees max. The most important things to consider are runout, terrain traps and objective danger. If you are telemarking, make sure you have tall shims or you will "boot out". wink.gif

Bullshit.

Billygoat said:

About which oh enigmatic one tongue.gif

To clarify - here's the ski rating system (from http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/ratings/s_ratings_article_web.htm)

S0, Flat ground or slightly rolling terrain. Usually a flat ski tour or nordic trail. All hills can be descended on foot or with novice downhill technique.

S1, Easy. Low-angled.. Only novice downhill technique required.

S1+, Slightly harder than S1.

S2-, Angle up to 25 degrees. Easy terrain such as broad slopes. Ability to sideslip and stem-turn will get you down. Avalanches unlikely or impossible.

S2, Longer pitches than S2-, can be a steep narrow trail or actual glisse descent. Up to 25 degrees. Novice skiers or snowboarders can handle this terrain with basic technique.

S2+, Angle near or at 25 degrees, but rougher terrain or difficult snow requires more technique.

S3-, Slopes up to 30 degrees, similar to an easy "expert" run at a resort. Avalanches uncommon but possible with unstable snow.

S3, Slopes up to 35 degrees, similar to an "expert" run at a resort. A skier or rider capable of S3 should have solid technique in any type of snow. This is often prime avalanche terrain.

S3+, Same angle as S3 (up to 35 degrees); but terrain features (dogleg turns, rollovers, trees, ridges, etc.) make the skiing slightly more difficult. Again, this is prime avalanche terrain.

S4-, Slopes over 35 degrees but under 45 degrees, without terrain obstacles and with safe runouts. Avalanche danger is always a concern.

S4, Slopes over 35 degrees but under 45 degrees, usually steeper than an S4-, may have fall potential and terrain obstacles such as narrows. Avalanche danger always a concern.

S4+, Slopes just under 45 degrees, may have fall potential and terrain obstacles. S4+ is borderline extreme skiing and snowboarding. Avalanches are slightly less common on these slopes, but nonetheless occur enough to be a concern.

S5-, Slopes at 45 degrees or slightly over. Fall potential on firm snow. This is bonafide extreme skiing. Because snow can't easily accumulate at these angles, slab avalanches are less common, but can occur. Loose snow avalanches are common.

S5, Slopes between 45 degrees and 55 degrees. Technique for steep terrain required if turns are made. Fall potential almost always present. Loose snow avalanches are common, especially after new snow accumulations; slab avalanches are uncommon.

S5+, Most of the route near or at 55 degrees. This is technical extreme terrain. Fall potential always exists. Death from a fall likely if steep sections are long. Loose snow avalanches are common, especially after new snow accumulations; slab avalanches are uncommon.

S6-, Short sections steeper than 55 degrees. Loose snow avalanches are common, especially after new snow accumulations; slab avalanches are uncommon.

S6, Most of the route steeper than 55 degrees. This is extreme terrain that's safe for only the elite athlete if turns are made. Sideslipping and ropework may be mandatory. Loose snow avalanches are common, especially after new snow accumulations; slab avalanches are uncommon.

S6+, Same angles as S6, but with extenuating circumstances, such as cliffs, icefalls, and other obstacles. Avalanches are the least of your concerns. You might be better off on crampons so you can claim a first ascent.

S7-, A number of sections approaching 60 degrees steep; short sections may be 60 degrees. Fall potential a given. Avalanches? Who cares.

S7, Much of the route is around 60 degrees steep. Ropework may be optional or mandatory and should be clarified in rating and text description. Any avalanches probably happened before you got there.

S7+, Same angles as S7, with skiable snow connected by technical maneuvers such as small jumps. Ropework may be optional or mandatory and should be clarified in rating.