As American As Apple Pie

JGowans

I think I've been seeing a lot of weird sayings recently that are now being feverishly proliferated in the media.

As American As Apple Pie is one that springs to mind. In the 9 years that I've been in the U.S. I've never heard such a statement until the last few weeks. It's normally used in the context of "A dissenting voice is as patriotic and American as apple pie..." Is this new?

Also, what are some of the other sayings that are being bandied around just now?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people use that phrase right before they say something controversial or unpopular. Free speech in the US means that the government can not arrest you, sieze your property, etc. It does NOT mean that other citizens are not allowed to disagree with you, say nasty things about you, or angrily boycott you. Actors and Hollywood types in particular do not seem to understand this. They feel like they can say whatever they want without consequences.

King George the whatever came over to the U.S. during Babe Ruth's day. Somehow His Royalness was queued for lunch with The Babe at Yankee Stadium. (I kid you not, you can look it up)

So Ruth buns up a wiener, turns to King George and in all earnestness, asks, "Want a hot dog, King?"

That's as American as apple pie.

JGowans said:

I think I've been seeing a lot of weird sayings recently that are now being feverishly proliferated in the media.

As American As Apple Pie is one that springs to mind. In the 9 years that I've been in the U.S. I've never heard such a statement until the last few weeks. It's normally used in the context of "A dissenting voice is as patriotic and American as apple pie..." Is this new?

Also, what are some of the other sayings that are being bandied around just now?

JG,

In a similar vein, why is "Bob my uncle" ???

Just curious.

gmoney said:

Free speech in the US means that the government can not arrest you, sieze your property, etc. It does NOT mean that other citizens are not allowed to disagree with you, say nasty things about you, or angrily boycott you. Actors and Hollywood types in particular do not seem to understand this. They feel like they can say whatever they want without consequences.

you post implies that said consequences resulted from other citizens actions. the burden of proof is on you to show that it is the case. even in the case of the DChicks, the decision to not play their cuts was taken by radio execs and DJ's, not by the 'people'.

Hmmm. Pretty weak argument there "j_b". Not playing Dicksy Chix on the radio is not a violation of free speech. Radio stations can play or NOT play whatever they want for whatever reason. They are privately owned businesses. When the feds step in and say "NO MAS" to some crappy country music band, I'll agree. I'm not seeing any Homeland Security officials asking for my subversive Dicksy Chix CD...yet.

ha! "gmoney" thus we agree on one thing. "They are privately owned businesses"; thus the "consequences" are business and ideological decisions made by individuals in key positions. as for the Chicks i would not worry too much about their financial future; they are talented and have an international audience.

Hey "JoshK" bad traffic is only half of it. If you live in Seattle you are probably still PAYING THE BILL for Safeco Field's construction. When the city council put out a vote asking if "we" wanted to pay for the new stadium it came back NO by a wide majority. Did billionaire Paul Allen have to build his own stadium for his baseball team? Hell no! The people in Seattle got stuck with the bill as a big "fuck you" from the city council the_finger.gif. Think about that while you are parked on the highway.

gmoney, I couldn't agree with you more. Paul allen is a piece of shit also and the construction of both of those stadiums is a travesty. Paying to house professional sports so rich owners can make more money is a complete sham. I'm sure the combined nearly 1 billion dollars for those piles of crap could have done a nice bit of work towards some mass transit or road construction. madgo_ron.gif