fixed pins

Lambone

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Rain, or Rainier...too much tequila in my system.

It was sunny/cloudy and hot all day. We did get covered in Green Slime of course, and I got dripped on for two hours while Sean led pitch 4. mushsmile.gifbigdrink.gif

BTW- Drinking a whole gallon of V8 and a beer is not recomended. Sean puked twice on the drive home...

We also met the Upper Town Wall BASEjump squadren. Cool Guys! They had some awsome footage of jumping Mt. Baring....crazy shit! cantfocus.gif

I knew you were going to chime in here... the_finger.gif

Yeah I finished it solo last year. Yesterday I wen't back with my partner who has been wanting to get back on it and finish it for a while. And his newbie bro who had never jugged a rope...he did wasome...it was fun. bigdrink.gif

We skipped the last pitch cause it was wet/grungy and slimmy lookin...

Also met dbrinka who almost lapped us climbing TC and GD...solo. Super nice guy.

Jerome said:

Just saw this post after writing up the climb in a different thread. We didn't do it! We climbed the route clean on Saturday.

I remember seeing one pin on the second pitch.

Too bad it was nailed.

Jerome

I'll fess up to putting two of the pins in two weekends ago. Yeah it can go clean if it is dry, but the guide book says that if it's wet, people will nail on it. In one section I was already in my second steps and the next possible piece in the crack was at least 6 feet above me. Since I'm short it would've meant a dyno. I could see where you could maybe hook past it on the face, but with the slime and the fall I'd already taken I wasn't about to try it. I ended up finally bailing up a little higher but forgot to hammer out the two pins because I was pretty sketched and just wanted to get down before I puked on my belayer below because of so much adrenaline in my system. You weren't there and I don't really care what you think anyway! Flame on! wave.gif

Thanks Matt. It really was a last resort. I did plenty of cam hooking and even scraped at the crack with my nut tool for several minutes trying to find the next cam hook placement. We only brought them along because of the comment in the guidebook. Guess I wasn't ready for C3 in the wet conditions. When it's dry I'll try hooking through that awkward face section.

Peter,

Thats freakin hilarious! yelrotflmao.gif

ehmmic...bad girl the_finger.gif

"In one section I was already in my second steps and the next possible piece in the crack was at least 6 feet above me."

Not to be picky, but this is absolutely not true. Your fixed Blade is 2 inches below a perfect standard cam hook placement. Cam hooks are as cheap as Knifeblades, buy one and learn to use it.

Edited by Lambone

ehmmic said:

You weren't there and I don't really care what you think anyway! Flame on! wave.gif

Good job getting out of sketchdom thumbs_up.gif(I hate that place!)

I'm looking forward to the day when I have enough experience to avoid making mistakes and can predict the future like ERIK! rolleyes.gif

If we didn't push ourselves to climb in the first place, we'd never get off the couch, push your limits and pound your pins if the local guide book says it's ok!

Bronco said:

ehmmic said:

You weren't there and I don't really care what you think anyway! Flame on! wave.gif

Good job getting out of sketchdom thumbs_up.gif(I hate that place!)

I'm looking forward to the day when I have enough experience to avoid making mistakes and can predict the future like ERIK! rolleyes.gif

If we didn't push ourselves to climb in the first place, we'd never get off the couch, push your limits and pound your pins if the local guide book says it's ok!

hellno3d.gif

I'm not trying to pick on ehmmic...just thinking out loud about conditions and clean climbing ethics...

But, how much difference does the rain really make? Does water make a crack more difficult or dangerous to climb with "clean" gear? I don't think so. The holding power of a good cam, nut or cam hook, is much greater than the friction you lose due to wetness.

Besides, that part of Green Drag-on is soaking wet all year long! So if wetness is an excuse to nail, then those pin scars are going to grow bigger and bigger each season.

The pitch in question can be done clean(C2+), with or without hooks, in ANY conditions. A simple practice is to just leave the pins at home, as a solution will present itself should you run into trouble. Without the hammer you WOULD HAVE found a way to get past the difficulties clean, and your skills would have improved. Nobody needs a lecture but with the number of people spraying about the route, the number of inexperienced folks willing to give it a try will increase. Don't bring pins on GD.

If you don't bring pins you won't nail.

Kind of like when Doug Robinson accidentally left Galen Rowell's hammer and pins on the ground during the first clean ascent of HD (first clean ascent of any big wall for that matter)? I guess Rowell was a bit angry about that as he was on a photo shoot for NG at the time and was promising a successful wall route in photos. boxing_smiley.gif