Puritans?

lemon

I have to write a paper for History about whether America would be better off today if the Puritan ethic was still in full effect, ala 1640-ish New England.

I'm of the mind to say "no", but wonder what all you edumacated folks have to say?

Do tell.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me get this straight... You're asking this question in the 'Spray' section on cc.com?

Well, I like to bigdrink.gif and smileysex5.gif , as much as anyone, so I'd have to say that the whole Puritan/Scarlet Letter routine is better off in the history books.

the puritaic morals are still here.

they like of them crossed the ocean as they were no longer allowed to pursecute others and spread their warped behavior unto to masses.

people still persecute others and force upon us their b.s.

Their claim of the First Thanksgiving is bogus, by the way. The first one was held years before, on the banks of the James River in Virginia. (Provided by RobBob the native Virginian.)

Miles Standish, Elder Brewster & Co. should've been cut down by the Injuns, IMO.

Okay, now I really am going to work the rest of the day.

Puritans are suck and all....

However, Our personal and collective ethics and thought patterns, as an embodiment of western civilization, derive from Judeo / Christian ethics. Whether we like it or not, most assumptions we make and actions we take everyday and don't even think about are done because that's what Christians and Jews did back in the day. One could make the argument that those ethics, in fact, derive from pre-christian civilizations like the Greeks, Romans, or Pagans. However it is impossible to deny that out civilization has been largely influenced by religious philosophers such as DeCarte (sp?) and St. Augustine, and even Jesus.

specialed said:

Puritans are suck and all....

However, Our personal and collective ethics and thought patterns, as an embodiment of western civilization, derive from Judeo / Christian ethics. Whether we like it or not, most assumptions we make and actions we take everyday and don't even think about are done because that's what Christians and Jews did back in the day. One could make the argument that those ethics, in fact, derive from pre-christian civilizations like the Greeks, Romans, or Pagans. However it is impossible to deny that out civilization has been largely influenced by religious philosophers such as DeCarte (sp?) and St. Augustine, and even Jesus.

and i find this reality really fucking annoying

minx said:

no thanks,

i think i'll just stay here, bitch and be annoyed by it

or

not really consider it very often and exist as i choose to smile.gif

RIGHT ON SISTAH fruit.giffruit.gif as long as we remain with in the letter of the "law" we are all free to create our own vission grin.gif

specialed said:

minx said:

hey it's been that kinda day! petty annoying crud! I wore my shirt backward until lunch... i definitely needed a bigdrink.gif

Have a few more and you might end up with no shirt on!!

bigdrink.gifyellaf.gif

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif well they have casual day at most offices... why not nudist day wink.gif