who/what belongs?

Jarred_Jackman

Just caught a bit of one of those stupid dog threads. My question is, why are dogs always catching flack? What about whiny little fucking kids, I hate the sound of a screaming child. What about fat people, I hate moving into a bramble bc tubby can't step aside. What about assholes, I just met the ranger at Smith and I'm pretty sure he shouldn't have even been born. What about old people, didn't Ed Abby say that if they haven't seen it already they don't deserve to see it? What about handicapped people, they necesitate a paved trail in many cases. What about people who aren't prepared, they ruin the days of others by needing to be rescued. What about non-locals, they bring all their friends and pretty soon your pristine backyard trail is an over-run highway with a trailhead parking lot, fully equipped with rangers and parking passes.

Blame it on dogs and dog owners. Fuck ya!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jarred_Jackman said:

Just caught a bit of one of those stupid dog threads. My question is, why are dogs always catching flack? What about whiny little fucking kids, I hate the sound of a screaming child. What about fat people, I hate moving into a bramble bc tubby can't step aside. What about assholes, I just met the ranger at Smith and I'm pretty sure he shouldn't have even been born. What about old people, didn't Ed Abby say that if they haven't seen it already they don't deserve to see it? What about handicapped people, they necesitate a paved trail in many cases. What about people who aren't prepared, they ruin the days of others by needing to be rescued. What about non-locals, they bring all their friends and pretty soon your pristine backyard trail is an over-run highway with a trailhead parking lot, fully equipped with rangers and parking passes.

Blame it on dogs and dog owners. Fuck ya!

You callous, insensitive jackass. By your rules, you shouldn't be climbing either, as I am sure that you fall into one of those categories. Fuck you.

Having said that, I agree with you. We always like to blame others for everything. wave.gif

the ranger at smiffy ain't that bad, he's a pretty nice guy if you get to know him a bit, he just isn't a climber, which seems a bit odd, but he's still a nice guy.

for those of you who have issues like those stated above, find less used wilderness, and go mid week, and you won't see a soul.

One thing I'll never understand is the stupid paved trails. This is taking equal access too far. It might sound incensitive, but there are just places you can't go if you are in a wheelchair. It sucks, but no need to ruin nature more to try to get around this fact.

Dude, don't be so insensitive. These paved trails don't exactly go anywhere far. They never get very far from the parking lots and are just meant to allow people in wheelchairs to go see some natural attraction or just get some fresh air in the woods. I don't think I've ever seen one paved for more than 1/4 mile or so.

Also, lots of trails are paved near a parking lot to cut down on the errosion that so many people would cause. What I'm referring to is mostly National Parks, which get tons of traffic (some of them) and 99% of the people never venture more than .2 miles from the car. These .2 miles of trail are heavily abused, so they pave 'em to cut down the wear and tear. I guess the longest paved section of trail I know of is the trail going up out of Paradise.

Josh, I understand your dislike for the idea of paving trails because they seem like an unnecessary intrusion of civilization into the mountain environment. However, some of those paved trails may be paved to prevent erosion as much as to facilitate wheelchair access and either way I think it is pretty cool that a wheelchair can get out of the parking lot at Paradise or up to Lake Anne at Rainy Pass or whatever. After all, even at Mount Rainier (which is probably the place where you see the most of this kind of thing) there is a pretty small area around a couple of parking lots where you find paved trails and 99.999999% of the park is free from this "intrusion." I have at times wondered whether it was necessary to build such a huge trail at Big Four Mountain (its not paved but it may as well be), but when I talked to the guy who runs the trail program for Mt. Baker Snoq Natl Forest about it, he explained that over 90% of their visitors in the region go to that one spot and he seemed to feel that, by making it easily accessible and maintaining it as an attractive destination for the hordes, they were not only serving an important segment of the recreational user community but they were probably actually reducing overall impact by concentrating it in a single location.