Trad climbing near Pullman?

nlunstrum

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear nlunstrum,

Most people in Pullman aren't as helpful or friendly as retrosaurus, so you have that to look forward to.

But seriously, WSU has an Alpine Club (you can find their website by searching from the wsu home page I believe) and that should hook you up with climbing folks.

From Pullman, you can go east and climb granite cracks at the South Fork of the Clearwater in 2 hours, or go to Spring Mountain (about 3 or 4 hours) , Leavenworth (about 4 hours), or Vantage (about 2.5 hours).

There's no real climbing in the wheat, but there's a small gym at WSU and a much nicer one 8 miles away in Moscow Idaho.

There's a good climbing shop in Moscow as well called Hyperspud.

Good luck surviving the wheatfields, I never would have made it without the Alpine Club to keep me in line.

Steve

gapertimmy said:

nlunstrum said:

I'm moving to Pullman to go to school at WSU.

i'm sorry

'bow down to washington'

don't say that kinda thing!

goat boy summed it up nicely. You'll find that you're a short roadtrip from lots of great climbing. In the southern parts of ID as well.

gapertimmy said:

minx, i was referring to his choice of higher education, not the climbing

directions to pullman:

drive east to spokane till you smell it

turn south until you step in it wazzup.gif

hey so was i! he made an outstanding choice for higher education. nothing like learning how to drink in a wheat field, lose the cops in a wheatfield, smileysex5.gif in a wheatfield, find your stash in a wheatfield etc. No way you could learn these very important lessons at ewe dub. wink.gif

goatboy said:

...From Pullman, you can go east and climb granite cracks at the South Fork of the Clearwater in 2 hours...

There's a good climbing shop in Moscow as well called Hyperspud...

Most of the routes at Lightning Dome are bolted slabs, with an occasional pitch or two of trad thrown in for fun. But seriously, you should check out LD and the Rolling Stone Wall.

Primarily trad routes that should not be missed: Cretin's Corner, 5.9; Midnight Fright, 5.9; Y-Crack, 5.9; Fat Albert, 5.7; and of course, Bastille 5.8/A0, 5.9+R, or 5.11 (depending upon variation).

Primarily slab/friction routes that should not be missed: Fat Albert Direct, 5.10; Black Pine Face Direct Direct, 5.10b; Brown Sugar (all 6 pitches), 5.10, Sticky Fingers, 5.9, Welcome to Clearwater, 5.9; and Jump Up and FUCK!, 5.9.

For posterity's sake, yours truly bagged the FNA (First Nekkid Ascent) of Midnight Fright! Things seem to have gone up a grade...

thumbs_up.gif on Hyperspud. John Crock's a great guy, and helped with the assembly of topos into sort of a cheater's guide to LD along with another guy whose name escapes me right now. He can provide you with tons of beta on LD and the SF in general.

If you're in for a small adventure, cross the river (later in the season) and climb the Dorsal Fin directly across the river from LD. A mellow adventure fest, as it has no "established" route to the top, isn't done often, will take the entire day, and goes all trad and never harder than 5.8. Be prepared for dirt...

For REAL adventure, go upstream about a mile or so to the obvious huge wall across the river, and put up something new on Huddleston Bluff. There's only one route (that I know of) on the far left side of the wall following the obvious crack/corner line. Almost any other route will be a bolt-fest. HTH, and climb safely, as medical help is a ways away in Strangeville. yellaf.gif

...sobo

Not familiar with any names and perhaps Sobo already mentioned this, but I recall a small bolted crag on the Snake just off the hwy on the way to the infamous "dunes" (before the park/boat launch & before you cross over the dam). The WSU alpine club would routinely frequent the area during the summer months. Never climbed there myself...was always too preoccupied with beer bongs & chasing tail around the beach.

sverdina said:

Not familiar with any names and perhaps Sobo already mentioned this, but I recall a small bolted crag on the Snake just off the hwy on the way to the infamous "dunes" (before the park/boat launch & before you cross over the dam)...

It is, indeed, Granite Point, located along SR 193 several miles outside of Clarkston. At one time (before the Lower Granite Dam began operating), the climbs there were quite impressive on the river side of the crag. Really long, with nice backdrop of the river below you. They are now all underwater, leaving only the roadside routes. minx is correct about the "fun factor", but it *is* close. Just hold your nose to cut down on the Lewsiton stench... hellno3d.gif

...sobo

Hey nlunstrum,

I just remembered that down near McCall, ID is a great area of granite domes and hills. Slickrock Mountain comes to mind, with a 10-pitch, 5.6/7 ramble with no established belay stations. It was written up in R&I about 10-12 years ago. You go out with a trad rack and a 50m rope and just go up. When teh rope runs out, find a belay and continue. It really was a fun day out, and the scenery is just superb, and camping is free. I've done it 3 times and never saw another party on route. The climbing reminds me of Outer Space, only easier. The approach, top-out, and descent are clones of OS. You should give that a go as well.

...sobo

erik,

Are you familiar with their site lay-out at all? I went to the site, but I don't have the time to figure out how to navigate their site while I'm at *work*.

I checked the places that seemed logical to find new routes and/or crag development, but couldn't find anything quickly. Do you remember the name of the area? I only know it as is "Slickrock".

minx said:

I think your referring to granite point. Not really a lot of fun but close. The river and beer and to the fun factor

http://marcus.whitman.edu/~pogue/climbing.html

some decent info here about the area.

aaaahhh, Granite Point. I actually learned to climb on that small rack a long while ago. Haven't been back in ages. It was fun since it was close to UI, but definitely not a destination..

Also, Hyperspud rocks!!! bought my first set of gear from John when he was still working out of his house. I am glad to see him succeed. He is a great guy. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

rr666 said:

Also, Hyperspud rocks!!! bought my first set of gear from John when he was still working out of his house. I am glad to see him succeed. He is a great guy. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Just so you know if you're climbing around the Tieton... John has opened another Hyperspud in Yakivegas, at 907 South 1st Street, across the street from the Valley Ford place. He's been here for about 2 years now, and it looks like the store will stay. thumbs_up.gif

...sobo

I went to school at the U of I. As far as rock climbing goes You've got Granite Point, Minnihaha, and the South Fork of the Clearwater.

If you want to drive more you can get to Blodget Canyon, and some other climbing near Missoula. Also In the fall, Chimney Rock is an excelent place to climb trad alpine cracks. There's a bunch more, but you'll find out.

Don't forget other sports that are pretty good in the Inland Empire. There's a lot of whitewater around Moscow/Pullman, and there's some great bc skiing!!!!!

In terms of partying Moscow beats Pullman hands down.

You should talk to a guy named Mike Beiser. I think he's still in charge of the UI outdoor program. He can tell you a thing or two. Tell him, Kurt says hi!

Thanks to all who gave great info. For the record I've spent 25 of my 27 years in Washington, grew up in Monroe(so I know what cow smells like, maybe even miss it a little laugh.gif) . I've missed the climbing up there though, can't wait to get back to Index and Leavenworth!

i went to the UI and logged A LOT of hours at granite point. for being only 20 minutes away from pullman, it's a good little practice crag. routes are mainly top rope, unless someone's been lead bolting since I left in 1999, and range from 5.easy to 5.13 or so.

the bouldering is pretty good as well. there's some good stuff on the back side of the crag along the grassy shelfs, and really good bouldering at the point across the river. just bring a rubber raft, a pad, and some beers and you've got the makings for a finger ripping good time over there.

cheers,