Spring Party in Mazama

David_Parker

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

REALLY?

I THOUGHT THE ROUTE. BORING AND MORE BORING.

EVEN THE CONDOR ROUTE IS MUCH BETTER.

THE ROUTE SEEMED QUITE STRAIGHFROWARD WITH LITTLE ROUTE FINDING ISSUE. THE PITCHES ARE SHORT AND FEW OF THEM CAN BE LINKED.

ALL BELAYS ARE BIG LEDGES.

I' m not implying that you're implying your were a badass. I am merely stating fact. YOU ARE BADASS, Erik! My only point was that I agree with Wayne that folks who are used to clipping bolts every three feet are going to find a couple places where that is not the case on the M.I.R. I didn't comment on whether there were too many or too few bolts, or whetherit was the world's best climb or anything -- we should hold that debate at the cabin after 27 parties from cc.com mob the route on Saturday.

Now go back to work.

TIME TO GET THIS THREAD BACK ON TRACK!!!!

The party is this weekend and the skiing up at the pass last weekend was some of the best I've done. The place is in shape and ready for a party. The well works, although the water is a tad rusty so if you are sensitive to what you imbibe, bring your own. You can also get it from the river.

Some things to consider bringing, any volunteers???:

keg of beer

salmon for the barbie

briquettes

Garbage Bags

propane

plates and cups

lawn chairs

ice (stop on the way over the pass!)

music (no electricity)

anything else???

There is much blow down, so I'm bringing a chain saw (Kurt?) and we should have plenty of wood if everyone helps carry a log or 3.

All I ask is that everyone respect the place like it is your own. This is private property, not a NF campground. I intend, with your help, to leave it better than I found it. Who knows, this could become an annual event.

Edited by David_Parker

I haven't climbed the Inspiration route, but there are a number of other routes besides the couple listed in Burdo's book. I'm not sure what the name or grade of the route is we climbed, but it starts a few feet right of the white streak of the goat's beard, and heads up towards the hanging oasis above. We went up 5 pitches, and there appeared to be at least a few more above. Unlike the inspiration route, you only need a single rope to descend cause the pitches are shorter. Its fun and well protected, but right now it's covered with running water.

Uncle_Tricky said:

I haven't climbed the Inspiration route, but there are a number of other routes besides the couple listed in Burdo's book. I'm not sure what the name or grade of the route is we climbed, but it starts a few feet right of the white streak of the goat's beard, and heads up towards the hanging oasis above. We went up 5 pitches, and there appeared to be at least a few more above. Unlike the inspiration route, you only need a single rope to descend cause the pitches are shorter. Its fun and well protected, but right now it's covered with running water.

The route is 12 100' pitches and goes at 11b, it's called Restless Natives. The 11b crux is on the last pitch and can easily be yarded through on 2 closely spaced bolts, making the route 10+ A0. It is a fun outing although I doubt it will ever have a waiting line. Wear your helmet particularly if there is a party ahead of you.

The Promised Land, a few hundred yards to the right of Restless Natives, is also a decent 10+ 2 (3?) pitch route. (I think Bryan bolted an approach pitch that eliminates the low 5th class scramble.) I climbed it before it was retroed and it was mildly frightening, but I'm pretty sure Bryan has "sport bolted" it since. Have fun in Mazama! bigdrink.gif plenty!

I heard they had record rainfall in Winthrop earlier this week but the weather cam looks pretty decent at Sun Mountain Lodge this morning,(cloudy with sunbreaks) and the Washingotn Pass telemetry station reports only trace amounts of new snow over the last few days, with freezing levels below pass level. It's looking pretty good for both skiing and climbing!

I'm headed over tonight and may be looking for a carpooler...

Here's the view, Saturday April 26, from Mount Hardy during the Spring Ski-In. At the far left is Tower Mountain, a blur, then the panorama starts with Burgundy Spire, ESE, and continues aroung to the Granite Creek drainage, to the NW.

hardyvu2.JPG