Freaking Mounties

thelawgod

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, do you want these people out there *without* any instruction? I think that would be a lot worse... Mounties, Mazamas, etc give people a way to (relatively) safely try out the sport. I'd much rather have them do that then get some crampons and an axe and do Rainier. (I would say Hood, but people already do that and get themselves or others killed frown.gif)

Ursa_Eagle said:

Also, do you want these people out there *without* any instruction? I think that would be a lot worse... Mounties, Mazamas, etc give people a way to (relatively) safely try out the sport. I'd much rather have them do that then get some crampons and an axe and do Rainier. (I would say Hood, but people already do that and get themselves or others killed frown.gif)

Bullshit. I never learned how to climb by taking a class. Much is common sense, and books will take you a long way. rolleyes.gif

i am self taught. so are all my main climbing partners.

we are safe and yet still some of us push the limits of the sport.

it can be approached from many directions.

the mounties and what not is just another way to get in with less commitment.

you can teach anything, but the students need to want to learn.

have fun everyone!

wave.gif

Sphinx said:

Ursa_Eagle said:

Bullshit. I never learned how to climb by taking a class. Much is common sense, and books will take you a long way. rolleyes.gif

What are you calling bullshit on? Seems to me Ursa is saying that going with the Mazamas or Mounties is a safe alternative to learning on your own. I think its a valid point.

I am self-taught as well. So what? Does that preclude the choice of going with formal instruction for others? I think not.

Thankfully we live in a world where one can make choices for themselves. I think I will choose to have another beer.

Ursa_Eagle said:

Also, do you want these people out there *without* any instruction?

I am "without instruction" and consider myself a safe climber. My point is that you can learn to climb safely (if not more safely) on your own. It doesn't take a huge group and some pompous instructors.

Sphinx said:

Look at the ones that take the classes and think that some of them would prolly be out there without instruction if they couldn't get it. That's a frightning thought. I'm not saying that you can't self-teach, I'm just saying that not everyone can self-teach.

Since when has the general population actually been thinking and using common sense?

Ursa_Eagle said:

Sphinx said:

Look at the ones that take the classes and think that some of them would prolly be out there without instruction if they couldn't get it. That's a frightning thought. I'm not saying that you can't self-teach, I'm just saying that not everyone can self-teach.

Since when has the general population actually been thinking and using common sense?

Without common sense you won't last long in climbing. I always figure if people won't (can't?) take the time and effort to teach themselves, then they won't be very safe climbers even if they DO take a class.

Oh, and BTW, I was at Smith once, near a very annoying large class. One of the students led a nice 5.7, belayed by another student. At the top, the leader set up some sort of an anchor (two bolts w/chains at the top, this was sport), then yelled down to his belayer: "Do you think this anchor is OK?". His buddy shouted up "I think so. Why don't you rappel and we'll ask the instructor!". Quite a safe way to learn climbing, huh? I moved on, not wanting to have to carry them out.

I certainly wouldn't expect anybody to announce, in advance, that they are going to be at such and such a crag with 25 of their moron friends -- at least not on this bulletin board -- because they'll catch nothing but flack for it.

So fair warning, The Everett Mountaineers will run their Rock 2 field trip the weekend of April 26 and 27.

We do understand the impact we have and are doing what we can to minimize it. Advanced warning is part of that plan, and I'll provide a reminder via a separate thread a few days prior with the specific climbing areas we plan to be at. Some of our more overzealous station leaders are being "talked to" wink.gif If you want an adjacent route or one that we are not using, we will yield.

Mountie said:

I certainly wouldn't expect anybody to announce, in advance, that they are going to be at such and such a crag with 25 of their moron friends -- at least not on this bulletin board -- because they'll catch nothing but flack for it.

So fair warning, The Everett Mountaineers will run their Rock 2 field trip the weekend of April 26 and 27.

We do understand the impact we have and are doing what we can to minimize it. Advanced warning is part of that plan, and I'll provide a reminder via a separate thread a few days prior with the specific climbing areas we plan to be at. Some of our more overzealous station leaders are being "talked to" wink.gif If you want an adjacent route or one that we are not using, we will yield.

dont forget the trash pick up...

my biggest gripe with your organizations outtings is the amount of trash generated anf left. last year we picked up a plastic grocery bags worth of it at the base of the mtneers dome. i notified steve of it last year. this year if i see it i will be picking it up, photogrpahing you and informing the rangers of your ill attempts and following thru with your misson statement. do not debate me on this.

also the amount of obtrusive red webbing left on formations. i will remove it all and turn it in. dont leave webbing! ever! clean your anchors!!!!!

thanks!

Attitude said:

erik said:

do not debate me on this.

Gosh.

POSTS WILL BE DELETED IF YOU DISOBEY ERIK!!!! hellno3d.gif

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!! pitty.gif

ASSIMILATE OR DIE!!!! madgo_ron.gif

hardly attitude.

i say this as there is no point to debate. last year i got an email from one of them stating it was not them. well we cleaned it up as they were leaving, they were there all day. that is my point.

debating on who leaves the trash is pointless, the issue that needs to be addressed is picking it up. even if it is not yours, pick it up. easy enough!

I can't speak for anybody else, but I generally try to pick up my share of trash and then some...

I've been involved with the Everett Mountaineers for several years. On the outings I've gone on, we've been extremely contientious (almost to the point of being anal) about picking up after ourselves.

If there is a problem and you do snap a picture (or capture the name scrawled upon the helmet,) let me know and I'll take care of that problem personally.

Litter sucks thumbs_down.gif