Backpacking In The Great PNW

AlienSoul

AlienSoul said:

LOL No I am not a Whittie

I am looking for 3day weekend trips. Hike through is ok, but in and out is easier. I want to do some photography so scenic is good, but this is the PNW so that usually is everywhere. I want some easy ones so I can drag the wife along. She is diabetic so it is easier if it isn’t too hard.

I also want some tougher stuff. I did Ice Lake last year (with a 60lb pack ‘cause I was stupid) and everyone thought it was tougher than Mt Adams, but it felt great to have accomplished it.

I’ll be sure to pick up those books. I want to do a lot more backpacking and stuff this year. Last year my job didn’t allow me much freedom that way. Also if anyone wants a partner for slogging up some snowfield I am not terrible fast but I love a good hike.

Thanks

Josh Gesler

fruit.gif

tellin you, check the wilderness beaches on the penninsula.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gapertimmy said:

on a serious note, i've heard many cat stories about 3 sisters wilderness. big tracks seen all over the place, tam mcarthur, pct, you name it

personally i'm more afraid of the yokels that wander the trails packin heat blush.gif

damn straight.. laugh.gif

Alien Soul,

You ever hike around the Seven Devils range on the Idaho side of Hell's Canyon? Just a hop skip and a jump away from Eagle Cap area. Some interesting terrain, nice trail system for several day trips up there. I spent 2 nights, forget the name of the lake, it was near Sheep Lake, scrambled up several 9,000+' (He-Devil, She-Devil, Mt. Baal I think) peaks during the day.

I second the eastern side of Glacier Peak Wilderness notion. Ice Lakes basin is nice, Spider Meadows up to Spider Gap and then down the other side into the Lyman Lakes area is really cool. Shortcut into the area w/out having to take a water taxi up Lake Chelan or a really long hike from near Darrington on the other side of Glacier Peak.

There's some really nice open terrain towards the northern end of the PCT, I've done a couple of jaunts between Rainy Pass and Harts Pass.

I'd second the beach idea. Nice to be out there this time of year--it's well into spring while the mountains are still snowy. Ruby Beach to Ozette or the Shi Shi to Ozette leg--or link them together. Just remember to flow the locals on the Rez outside of Neah bay a few bucks if you leave your car there. Your car will be in much better shape upon your return.

i'll third the beach idea. did this two years ago with some backpacking novices, everyone had a great time. we paid the (only) taxi driver in forks to move our car so we wouldn't have to shuttle. she met us in forks to get a key, then we drove ourselves to ruby beach. while we were hiking (three days - very relaxed), she drove our car around to the ozette trailhead. very convenient and she only charged us $45. send me a pm and if you want contact info.

oh yeah, the other great thing about the beach is it's the only kind of backpacking where it's still kosher to build big campfires every night. fun!

I think they make great trips, but the beach hikes can get rather crowded in the summer. They're best before Memorial Day or after Labor Day, in my opinion, and if you don't like crowds you might also consider deliberately going when the weather is not perfect. It's no fun out there in a major gale, and in a real monsoon you might even get stuck between the creeks on the southern wilderness strip, but it can be just fine out there in a normal wet-weather cycle if it isn't too windy. If you are planning a backpacking trip elsewhere on the Olympic Penninsula and find the weather is not looking as good as you like, consider heading for the beach.

AlienSoul said:

I am looking for some good ideas for places to go backpacking this summer.

hahaha.gif

The PCT from White Pass to about 30 miles South (hike travelling North) is spectacular. The area below Old Snowy and the trail North from there is remarkable. Doable in 3 days.