spray vs information

glassgowkiss

really - trying to find info on the web page like this is a real drag. 90% of the posts are pure spray.

i think we need a seperate space for posting FA, FFA, FWA. names, dates, time, difficulty, gear, route topo or description, picture (if possible) and that is it. the rest can go to spray, where the spray-lords can duke it out. one post, topic closed take it to spray... ciao

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

glassgowkiss said:

really - trying to find info on the web page like this is a real drag. 90% of the posts are pure spray.

i think we need a seperate space for posting FA, FFA, FWA. names, dates, time, difficulty, gear, route topo or description, picture (if possible) and that is it. the rest can go to spray, where the spray-lords can duke it out. one post, topic closed take it to spray... ciao

Post it here. Climber's Board

sisu_suomi said:

glassgowkiss said:

Post it here. Climber's Board

Then PM people for more details. BTW, great photos and are you happy to have recived some recognition from Rock and Ice for your FA. thumbs_up.gif

Umm, there is a difference between legit replys and spray. It's perfecty ok to have people respond with "what gear did you take", "how much ice?", "was it choss?", etc. It's going to be pretty hard to police what you or others may consider spray and what might be useful questions or info.

JoshK said:

On second thought, maybe you do have a good point. I could see the point in forcing people to reply in a general forum or spray forum, and keep the TRs completely virgin.

my point. you don't have such a possibility while reading guidebooks. on ice-alpine-mixed climbs conditions change. it's a part of the game. with guidebooks printed every about 10 - 12 years internet can be a grat tool. look for will gadd's web page or bc ice climbing page, where you can find info on newer climbs.

what i am getting at: if people want to spray- fine. if i want to find a climb not described in a guide i want:

1 how to get there

2how long (aprox) it will take to do it

3what gear to bring

4how the route goes

5 how to get down

alpine climbing should not serve you your climb on the plate- here it is...

i am sure ther is going to be a flury of new climbs, a lot of FWA and FFA. it would be very helpful if you can just open a page, print out a deascription, go and do the route...

i am not talking about TR's. I am talking only about FA, FWA, FFA, not about established climbs.. on these spray on... i am just talking about historical record.

Jon is right, we've had significant discussion about this, at least in the moderator's forum, and I think on the more public parts of the board too. I believe there are good arguments for and against keeping route reports free of any follow-up discussion, but I tend more toward allowing follow-up discussion but asking folks to stay on topic.

If you want an on-line guidebook, the bivouac.com format is certainly better than cc.com in as far as it is much easier to log on, type the name of a peak, and determine right away whether there is any recent route report, or even an old one. Useful information is never buried in spray because there isn't any spray. However, there is also no discussion on bivouac.com, and you can email the author if a route report if you want to discuss something about a climb but you cannot post a question or comment where others will read it. There is no way to ask: "does anybody know how much snow lingers on the descent from Snow Creek Wall right now? Or in the follow up to somebody's post, there is no way to post "hey, that climb sounds really cool, but I don't think it's as hard as all that, or later in the season there is a better descent if you head rightward and avoid all the loose talus encountered by heading straight down, or whatever. In other words, I think the conversational format probably adds more information to the mix, as long as that extra information doesn't just get lost in a bunch of baloney. Look at the Dragontail Peak discussions lately -- for the most part folks are staying on target and exchanging useful information and a couple of route reports from those who were successful would not be quite as informative (those who retreat rarely post their reports, but they do join in discussing the climbs in this conversational format).

Some folks have suggested we could have the best of both. They suggest we keep route reports unadulterated and allow follow-up discussion in another part of the board. That would be an option, I suppose, but do we really need two Alpine Lakes forums -- one for original reports and anther for follow-up? Or would we send all follow-up discussion to, say, the Climbers' forum where it would not be categorized by area? I think Timmy has a good idea with his effort to peg certain particularly interesting route reports like a reported first ascent of some significant objective, or perhaps something that is just plain well-written, but beyond that I kind of like the current format.

As we are able to ask people to stay on topic in the route reports forums, I think they will become more useful for those who just want the information and don't care to read the BS, but there will always be a trade-off because we'll have to choose between more highly regulated and well-organized formats and those that are looser but allow more exchange of information.

And apart from the research-ability question, of course, there is the question of whether we want to be like some dead website where we assume nothing interesting ever happens.

• 3 years later...

Please PM Gary ASAP

Bob, you can stfu...

95% of the time you post on here you rip the average climber and their tr's...then you proceed to complain about how shitty us climbers are relative to europe and yourself...get fuckin' real... cry.gif

with the new board (i know, i know how long can it be? we are waiting for the new board software to get out of beta and they are taking longer than we would hope) we will have a setting so that you will only see the original TR if that is all you want to see. Or you can expand it out and see all the banter that follows. Many times I've seen a TR expanded on in the conversation that follows, with key information contributed by others reading the TR. But if all you want to see is the TR, then you can set it up the other way.

Perhaps we can work in something for FAs....I think at least being able have an FA/FWA/FFA etc search option in the TR section would be pretty cool.