super stars of the cascades?

admin

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd like to do one with some of your more fav climbs, definately pics, or live video feeds, or perhaps interviews of the cascade hard men spraying about their epic while at a pub club meeting, that would be sweet.

i also like the idea of doing an 'out-takes' section, or bloopers, climbs dat jes gone bad sorta thing.

whatever you guys want to do, just thought it would be worth a few [laf]

Sure. JValente MOleson and I cruise up Easter Sunday with the dog. We intended on climbing the Outside face route. After looking at the 5.9 pitch we decided it could have been mossy and or wet. We moved around to the notch. It was Mike's lead so he picked a route in the east side. No chimney as noted in several books. Just crappy wet moss covered rock and 3 or 4 rattly pitons on the crux that would not likely hold a fall even if you clipped them all. Burrow through a really annoying tree up some more choss and finally the small summit. The notch route is probably better. I still don't know about the Outside Face since we never completed it.

If you are up there you might as well do one of the Beckey routes behind it on Snow Creek Wall. One is 5.7 one is 5.8 and they are not too long but look fun. I hear April Fools tower is fun which is a short walk away from Easter..

ok, we can sit and spray about it, but lets get the ball rolling. if you are in, post which route you are going to do. email me your stories when you got em down, with any pics and i'll get workin on the pages.

this could become a cc.com holiday tradition. how bout this, i'll give out 2 lift passes for bachelor for:

the best route storyand the best botched route story

bring em on baby!

in the spirit of central oregon choss, i'm going to do my fav climb down here so far

3 fingahed jaques, its not hard, but its chossy, and fun

I need a clarification:

We have to go climb the routes after today, or can we submit routes we've already climbed?

And what about the Twight rule: I climbed the crux so I didn't need to actually reach the summit? Using this technique I was able to free-solo Colchuck Balanced Rock: I sat in my easy chair and, in my mind, cruised it. Then I got up, ate 28 packets of Gu and threw a stove in the garbage. Since believing that I can do it is often the crux, I think it should count.

-Loren

Cascade Climbers.com's very own suave, sophisticated, handsome and intelligent (did I mention suave?) Dwayner's favorite climb: the Chumstick Snag. Located in an obscure valley not far from the curious Bavarian theme-town of Leavenworth, "the Snag" almost defies geology and is visited by more birds than climbers. Those bold enough to attempt to locate this enigmatic chunk of decaying sandstone will not be disappointed. And who can forget their first pee-inducing far-off view of the Snag in its own li'l canyon, almost daring you to come on over and sample its crumbling surface, quarter-inch rusted bolts with homemade hangers, and a Fred Beckey necktie for a rappel sling. Speaking of rappelling, do note the small shrine at the base built by those who were grateful for arriving back to the ground safely. The way I's figures, there are two kinds of people in this world: those who have climbed The Chumstick Snag (a mere handful), and those who wish they had climbed The Chumstick Snag. Some compare it to the Eiger North Face (any route): the ascent provides a lifetime of memories but it's not something you might wish to try twice.

Thank you, Dwayner, for contributing your excellent commentary about a fine climb. We were going to include you and The Chumstick Snag in that BIG BOOK OF BIG SHOTS AND THEIR FAVORITE BIG CLIMBS but we felt that your fame would detract from our policy of filling two-thirds of the book with a bunch of characters NOBODY HAS EVER HEARD OF except their local climbing gym. As consolation, you might take note that Big Lou, Hot Henry Barber, Sir Edmund Hillary and Reinhold Messner were likewise not included in this book.

- you're welcome!

- Dwayner

any climb you've ever done. nuff sprayin, get to writing about your epics dudes!

mail em to me at tcrawford@mtbachelor.com

submission deadline: Decmeber 10th midnite

if you don't make it by then, maybe you can save your story for volume two.

when we get all submissions will post em, and have some voting for the winner of the top cascadeclimbers.com superstar.