Metolius curved hexes versus BD Hexcentrics

catbirdseat

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion is that t he curved hexes don't place as well as the Hexcentrics. They seem to fit a little sloppy because of the curves in some cracks. But, I am sure there will be equal arguements for and against them. I'd say 4 out of 5 times the BD Hexes end up being the piece I place. fruit.gif

Why don't you just go out and by one and see how you like it? Then make your own decision wazzup.gif

I have both, which combined makes 1 1/2 sets of hexes. I prefer the old-skool variety, seem to be easier to place, sometimes the wire just messes up a placement.

BTW, I replaced the webbing on my #9,10,11 couple weeks ago. It has been so long that the old webbing was NEON hellno3d.gif

plexus said:

Why don't you just go out and by one and see how you like it? Then make your own decision wazzup.gif

I have both, which combined makes 1 1/2 sets of hexes. I prefer the old-skool variety, seem to be easier to place, sometimes the wire just messes up a placement.

BTW, I replaced the webbing on my #9,10,11 couple weeks ago. It has been so long that the old webbing was NEON hellno3d.gif

Me and my partner found a red sling that was so bleached it was a disgusting shade of pink . We dubbed it the "Gay Pride Parade Sling". yellaf.gif

I've used both, and went with the Metolius hexes. Not much difference between the two in standard placements, but the curve hexes also have a curved surface on one of the ends which makes them cam into place when placed endwise, yielding a more secure placement. At least the placements look and feel more secure to me.

I rarely used hexes out in CO, but since returning to the land of basalt/andesite I've found myself using them more and more. Quite a few of the cracks in that stuff seem to have hourglass shaped convolutions running along the length of the cracks, and many flare outward just a bit. Hexes seem to yield both faster and more secure placements in this sort of crack.

I use both. The Curved Hexes are nice for parallel cracks because the "indent" catchs on the lip of the upper surface. The curved also works well when there are bulges and weird stuff in the crack. However, the sizing doesn't run as big as the BD's. Also the really small curved hexes suck! The BD are way better in the smaller sizes. Personally, I carry the largest curved, the largest BD, a few mid-sized curved and small BD's.