Holiday Greetings from REI

Dwayner

Aloha fellow righteous alpine homeys! Me 'n the one who calls himself "pope" went to the doggone REI in Federal Way yesterday. He wanted to return an expensive parka a dog pee'd on or some such, plus there was some sort of sale going on. REI was putting on it's holiday face with a variety of changes to the store, lots of ski crap, etc. but noticeably, loads of cutey-pie knick-knacks to stuff any climbers stockings including hand-selected drilled out rocks with candles, "climber soap" and something similar just for that kayaker on your list, dogbone-shaped carabiners for your pooch, two part unbreakable wine glasses, juggling stuff, etc. "pope" can provide more examples I'm sure. On sale was a small blanket-like thing called a "throw". It was made of some sort of soft material and dyed with interesting patterns. It had been $40 and was now ONLY $25. I picked one up and threw it at pope's head. He didn't like this nor did he like it the next two times I did this. Several minutes later, while looking at headlamps, pope picked up some sort of Petzl device and asked me what it was. "It's a headlamp, moron!", I answered. "No, it's a "throw"!", he yelled as he heaved it at my head. Ouch! What's the point of all this? Seems to me way back around 1972 (when many of you were still peeing in your pull-ups), my dad drove me up to a big-city store in Seattle with the name of Eddie Bauer, international expedition outfitters. There one could find the best expedition gear one might need no matter where you'se wuz going. Rafts, ice-axes, Eddie Bauer brand goose-down Antarctica sleeping bags, and loads of other serious outdoor gear. Bought my first mountaineering book on that trip (Freedom o' Hills, 2nd ed.). We know the rest of the tragic story...Eddie Bauer has now descended into the realm of khaki pants and polo shirts, and has even lent it's name to custom SUV's. Is REI heading that way? Is the outdoor gear giving way to travel clothes, book bags and yuppy holiday knicknacks?

- just wonderin'

- Dwayner, who just came back from SUNNY and WARM So Cal where Joshua Trees sprout amongst numerous granite monoliths.

P.S. Jules! Don't worry about the above comments re: your employer. I still think you rock!!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Dwayner, In 1972 I wasn't even a twinkle in my father's eye. I too went to the Recreational Evil Impire on Saturday in Tigard. It was an interesting mix of fat boy scout type mountain men wannabes and 30 yr old eco-snob women searching for that perfect color nalgene. While walking out I felt raped for some reason. Luckily I went in to a Powell's books the next day and found two of the old Beckey Books used for $20 each.

Since companies like TNF, Eddie Bauer, and Royal Robbins have gone to the mass market thing at what point is it not in vogue for climbers to wear such brands? I mean like I still have an old TNF mtn lght jacket. Since it is old school can I still wear it and be cool. . or should I burn it, deny ever owning her, and cut the logo out of all the old pics I have of me wearing it? Just trying to figure all this stuff out.

Speaking of "The North Face"...while driving west on Highway 10 from "J-Tree" last week, we wuz in the vicinity of Cabazon (where the two giant dinosaurs featured in Pee Wee's Big Adventure once ruled the landscape until they put that new Denny's in front, blocking their ancient gaze)and Banning where there is an IMMENSE destination outlet mall. Along with Gucci, the Gap, and hundreds of others, there was a North Face outlet store in the mix. Lots of overpriced ski jackets and such and loads of excited shoppers thinkin' they're getting something fancy for cheap. As my climbing buddy "Dennis Erectus" commented, once these items were drastically marked-down, they almost approached reasonable retail value. What next? Black Diamond back-to-school wear? Petzl brand cosmetics? My favorite item was a goofy-lookin' once-piece ski suit with a big zippered butt that reminded me of them dudes in Dumb and Dumber. Either the before or after price was well over $700! Oy! [big Drink]

shalom, Dwayner

quote:

Originally posted by Dwayner:
Is REI heading that way? Is the outdoor gear giving way to travel clothes, book bags and yuppy holiday knicknacks?

dude, they've been there for a while! smile.gif" border="0

in all honesty, i guess i don't really care much, since i don't expect much, but while living downtown, i pretty much gave up on the flagship "megastore." i don't know how many times i went there for something and they were either out of stock, out of my size, or out of all acceptable colors. this goes for everything from climbing shoes and clothing to fuel canisters for backpacking stoves. you'd think the flagship store could at least keep enough stock in hand to compliment the "impressive" aesthetics.

moral of the story. i started going to REI only if feathered friends didn't have what i needed.

sheesh.

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: offwidthclimber ]

Sometimes I learn more from Dwayner just pokin' around town than I do scaling some wicked wall. There I was, standing in line to purchase a spiffy sweater, passing time by noticing the rack of stocking stuffers that had been placed there specifically to target compulsive REI shoppers. Yup, the novelties for sale included everything from climbers' soap to Woodstock Wind Chimes, from completely frivelous items, such as nalgene wine glasses, to especially functional items, like a reflective skirt for your candle lantern.

That's when Dwayner demonstrated why those little fleece blankets are called "throws". He repeated the demonstration until, just when he thought I was catching on, I threw a headlamp at him. We vacated the store and made our way to Costco for $1.50 dickstick lunch. Dwayner also demonstrated the most efficient way to score a free lunch at Costco. "You walk up to a busy sample table, and you roll up just one sleave. Then, reach around one side of a patron to grab a sample. Immediately reach around the other side with the other arm and score another. The sample lady never suspects you're double dippin', because all she sees is your arms, which don't appear to belong to the same person." Damn, Dwayner thinks of everything.

Then Dwayner took the time to show me his favorite coffee stand in Bonney Lake. "You drive up expecting to pay two bucks for a cup of coffee. What you're not expecting is the cute gals working behind the window! And they're standing up on a platform back there so you can more completely appreciate them. I like to think that's part of what I'm payin' for....that's $1.50 for the Joe and $0.50 for the eye candy!" Again, Dwayner thinks of everything!

I just started some winter work this weekend at a local gear shop. One of my first customers brought in two articles from a well known magazine and was insistent apon getting the two jackets (fleece and soft shell) because in the articles it said she would look "suave" (or something to that affect). I tried to show her more appropriate wear because we didnt have the softshell she wanted. She kept referring back to the article/ad/review and insisted that she had to get what the MAGAZINE suggested. *sigh*

Sad to see people worshiping the words of the media or corporate stores. The things they are missing out on!

AND(just to vent) I sold a fricken axe to an elderly man who wanted to keep it in his van and use it to chip ice!!!!!!!!!!! [hell no] Here im working for a little over min wage so I can afford a fricken tool to climb with (correct me if Im wrong , but that is what they are made for, yes?) and this guy can come in and just fork out the dough so he can chip ice. rolleyes.gif" border="0

I dont know if I can handle this retail stuff...but...Prodeals...tools...Prodeals...rope...Prodeals...jacket...Prodeals...gear...Prodeals!

Ah, this one's come up before hereabouts. Retailers have to sell stuff that people want at a price they are willing to pay, which is a black art. Mostly, folks don't really want rock shoes, ropes, and high end bicycles, for instance. On the other hand, they don't mind looking like they might own them, and they have to wear clothes anyway, so they go for the clothes with the labels frequently seen on those intrepid Everest climbers in the magazines.

I think the mountain retailing business is going to be primarily web-based in the near future. Check out Barrabes, who markets the best gear for the niche to users around the world. The little locals will do well with very specific customer service and a highly tuned sense of what's going to be "in" next. Nobody will be making a fortune, though.

I hope we can always find some climbing bargains at REI, but I have a suspicion they'll really only be there for nostalgia. I don't think its really their business anymore, it's just in the DNA.

REI has been going the way of Eddie B. and Sears for years. The deal is, the business is a cooperative run by a member-elected board of directors. I bet most of us toss that junk mail and don't vote for the board, much less consider running (I assume most readers are members since back in the day when they did have good stuff in stock). I usually do. If we don't like the way things are going we should vote for a board that directs the business the direction we would like. Or we should run for the board--many of us are professionals that would qualify. It is easier to bitch though.

The kitschy krap (and there is FAR too much-witness all the junk marked down and in the attic) is necessary to keep the average margins high enough so we can still see climbing and sking gear in the place. The problem is, the board of directors and management doesn't see fit to stock real gear anymore. You have to buy it online if you want it from REI and even then they are often "out of stock" on popular stuff. I couldn't even find a fleece jacket for my teenaged daughter (who climbs and skis, etc) last week at the "flagship" the day BEFORE thanksgiving. Nice inventory folks.

The 1939 founders opened the store to import and provide a place to purchase gear that outdoorspeople couldn't otherwise get in the states at the time. Sadly, the earlier author is correct in that we are forced to go "offshore (read: online)" once again over 60 years after the inception of the "Co-op".

Gotta get me some of those candle holders though.

Interestingly enough ,

i think both Eddie Bauer and The North Face are now owned by the same holding company, Speigel AG, a European Clothing Magnate- maybe REI will sell off their clothing line to Speigel as well, cut their operating costs a bit, just like they sold off MSR this year.

I am finally able to see these retail evolutions with some degree of humor. My wife has worked for Eddie Bauer for over 11 years now. Even 10 years ago a guy could hide out in an Eddie Bauer while the significant other went shopping. Down sleeping bags, backpacks for backpacking, tents, hiking boots, rain gear, hunting/fishing equipment etc.... Last year was pretty dismal with the only "outdoor" related stuff limited to a couple of goretex jackets and golfing wind shirts rolleyes.gif" border="0 . This year I am displeased to announce, they are just another GAP or Abergumbie & Flinch, they don't have a single piece of quality outdoor gear, it's all CRAP you would wear to work. [geek] Very Disapointing!!

Fortunatly, over the years I was able to secure some decent gear from Eddie's store and take advantage when they closed out a particular department. When they closed the fly fishin shop, I think I bought about 50 flies for like a nickel each. [laf]

REI is headed that way, I say good riddance. Just dont close the online outlet smile.gif" border="0