• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Atle

Easy multiple pitch climbs near Seattle

Is there anyone who can recommend some easy multiple pitch climbs near Seattle?

I'm looking for 3-5 pitches of 5.6 - 5.8 climbing.

Your best bet for multi pitch climbs close to Seattle is Index. There are a number of high quality, three pitch routes from 5.6 to 5.9 on the Great Northern Slab, a mere 5 minute walk from the parking lot. Leavenworth is a longer drive, but will have more routes at that level. Check out Mountaineers Dome, Icicle Buttress, Givlers Dome and Castle Rock. Snow Creek Wall has one of the best 5.8+ routes in the state, Orbit.

In addition to those suggestions already posted.

Static Point, out of Sultan, has some wonderful classic moderate slab routes, including Online (10a), which gets progressivly harder as you get higher on the route (6,7,8,9,10a) - obviously you don't have to go to the top to enjoy the route. It is best to climb there in the late Spring or fall, as its Southern exposure lends itself to climbing in the sun. Washington Rock Climbs by Smoot has details on the approach.

Another interesting suggestion is the Tooth, a staple among Seattle climbers. It is about 40 min approach from Snoqualmie Pass parking lot, and offers 4 pitches of up to 5.6 on the South Face, or other opportunitites. It can be found in Selected Climbs in the Cascades Vol 1.

Atle,

Snoqualmie Pass is often in the clouds during weather like we are having now, so if its not raining outright, the route can still be damp. That said, it is very possible to climb the Tooth even when it is wet! The forecast is looking like 50% chance of rain, so I'd get at it and up it as quick as you can between the raindrops! Otherwise, the approach is very straightforward.

Alex

Thanks for your responds.

How do you think the condition will on the Tooth this weekend (if the weather is good)?

Alex,

thanks for the information regarding the Tooth. I was up there on Sunday with a friend and had a very nice climb!

Atle

Darrington has cool stuff.

I'll second Castle Rock (one of my favs)

Icicle Buttress has easy stuff on it.

When thinking about Leavenworth dont rule out Squamish. It's about 1/2 hour or so longer of a drive and offers more rocks.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex:

Washington Rock Climbs by Smoot has details on the approach.

[laf][laf]

I know this thread is two years old, but Alex, maybe you oughta read the approach description for Static in Smoot before sending people there!

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

When thinking about Leavenworth dont rule out Squamish. It's about 1/2 hour or so longer of a drive and offers more rocks.

cavey's got it! [big Grin]

ChucK, I know, I know...I already knew how to get there and knew Smoots covered the area, so didnt actually bother to ensure accuracy. I re-read my old post (thanks to Caveman, .. you *did* know this was a 2-yr old post right?) and must've been in better shape back then to do the Toothy approach in 40 minutes

[rockband]