Easy multiple pitch climbs near Seattle

Atle

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your best bet for multi pitch climbs close to Seattle is Index. There are a number of high quality, three pitch routes from 5.6 to 5.9 on the Great Northern Slab, a mere 5 minute walk from the parking lot. Leavenworth is a longer drive, but will have more routes at that level. Check out Mountaineers Dome, Icicle Buttress, Givlers Dome and Castle Rock. Snow Creek Wall has one of the best 5.8+ routes in the state, Orbit.

In addition to those suggestions already posted.

Static Point, out of Sultan, has some wonderful classic moderate slab routes, including Online (10a), which gets progressivly harder as you get higher on the route (6,7,8,9,10a) - obviously you don't have to go to the top to enjoy the route. It is best to climb there in the late Spring or fall, as its Southern exposure lends itself to climbing in the sun. Washington Rock Climbs by Smoot has details on the approach.

Another interesting suggestion is the Tooth, a staple among Seattle climbers. It is about 40 min approach from Snoqualmie Pass parking lot, and offers 4 pitches of up to 5.6 on the South Face, or other opportunitites. It can be found in Selected Climbs in the Cascades Vol 1.

Atle,

Snoqualmie Pass is often in the clouds during weather like we are having now, so if its not raining outright, the route can still be damp. That said, it is very possible to climb the Tooth even when it is wet! The forecast is looking like 50% chance of rain, so I'd get at it and up it as quick as you can between the raindrops! Otherwise, the approach is very straightforward.

Alex

• 1 year later...

ChucK, I know, I know...I already knew how to get there and knew Smoots covered the area, so didnt actually bother to ensure accuracy. I re-read my old post (thanks to Caveman, .. you *did* know this was a 2-yr old post right?) and must've been in better shape back then to do the Toothy approach in 40 minutes

[rockband]