Funniest/Strangest ever

chelle

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jordop said:

The trail up Yosem Falls has its own particular subculture: tight jeans, foam/car parts hat, mirrored shades, black t-shirt with airbrushed wolf on it, stick for hiking pole, Coke for Gu cantfocus.gifyelrotflmao.gif

yelrotflmao.gif rofl, anytime in encounter a blue jeans in the outdoors i just die, free ski days at bachy bring out the south county trailer folks who wear cabellas jackets and tight wranglers with some sick old skewl str8t boards

Last Sunday on a trip up to Surprise Lake and beyond, there was a tricky log crossing that you had to sit and shimmy across on your butt. First guy goes across and gets to the other side ok. Second guy goes across with me right behind him. First guy goes to help second guy up and ends up falling in head first with his pack on. Completely submerged! Hilarity as he jumps up with a wide-eyed look and starts back across the river to get out on the side we just came from! Regained his senses enough to turn around and get out on the right side. yelrotflmao.gif

Two miles up a popular trail my buddy and I caught up with a large group of decidedly non-outdoorsy types, slowly ambling along. We wanted to pass, fast, they wanted to chat, much. As we tip-toed past them one of them tells us very happily that they are looking for aliens. Since I'm a non-resident alien and always willing to help I told them they'd already found one - they didn't seem to get very happy though, just a little bit annoyed.

Oh, and duplicating Eric and Cracked's Alpental feat is one of my prouder moments.

Lambone said:

You mean your guide?

eeehhh...no. I mean our Sherpa friend who was part of our team, but by no means our guide. Acctually he started showing signs of HACE at 18,000ft and had to go back down. Strong dude though and super fun, all he would do all day was listen to my walkman and look at himself in the mirror all day, but a great guy non-the-less!

My bad, I'm really just jealous that you got to climb Ama Dablam while I set my sights on Island Peak.

A couple of weeks ago I tried to climb Mt. Kozicosko, the highest mountain in Australia. As we were getting ready to go in the parking lot some lady told us we should put our 'thermals' on, we laughed as we didn't really have much clothing. And what did she know we were climbers! So we headed up, it starts by either riding a chairlift up or walking, we choose walking. It started raining part way up the walk and we became soaked almost immeditely. I had on cotton pants, cotton t-thirst, a light fleece and a cheap rain jacket. We kept going though and eventually reached the top of the charlift. From here a metal grait walking path leads to the top. It was another 6k to the top from here. We kept going and it kept raining and getting colder. We started joking that we might have to turn around, never thinking we would really have to. It got so cold that I couldn't feel my hands anymore and my shoes were starting freeze to the metal track. We kept going though. We got within 500m of the top when I couldn't even use my hands anymore. So we tried to take a picture but failed and decided to turn around, totally humiliated. We couldn't stop laughing though. We got shut down on a metal walking trak, during the middle of the summer in Australia. When we started we thought it would be the first of our 7 summits. I am not even sure if Mt kozicosko counts though??? I guy in town helpped to heal our wounds by telling us that is was -18c on the summit with wind gusts of 140k/h.

A lot of you know have shared this experience already. A couple fo years ago my friend and I did Outer Space and in the guide book we it said to say hi to Mr. Goat at the base of the cliff. Then the route description goes on about the route's incredible pitches. Then as the guide book describes the summiting, it again says to say hi to Mr. Goat at the top. We mused much at this as we were preparing for the hike to the base. As we get to the base, we notice that the guide book is indeed very well up-to-date, for there is Mr. Goat and family waiting for us at its base, in all his hairy glory. We were greatly amused. We then climbed the route. And who do we see once we summit, who else but Mr. Goat again, waiting for us!

For those wonder: Mr. Goat is a mountain goat which likes to lick urine for its salt.

bigdrink.gif

Wallstein said:

A couple of weeks ago I tried to climb Mt. Kozicosko, the highest mountain in Australia. As we were getting ready to go in the parking lot some lady told us we should put our 'thermals' on, we laughed as we didn't really have much clothing. And what did she know we were climbers! So we headed up, it starts by either riding a chairlift up or walking, we choose walking. It started raining part way up the walk and we became soaked almost immeditely. I had on cotton pants, cotton t-thirst, a light fleece and a cheap rain jacket. We kept going though and eventually reached the top of the charlift. From here a metal grait walking path leads to the top. It was another 6k to the top from here. We kept going and it kept raining and getting colder. We started joking that we might have to turn around, never thinking we would really have to. It got so cold that I couldn't feel my hands anymore and my shoes were starting freeze to the metal track. We kept going though. We got within 500m of the top when I couldn't even use my hands anymore. So we tried to take a picture but failed and decided to turn around, totally humiliated. We couldn't stop laughing though. We got shut down on a metal walking trak, during the middle of the summer in Australia. When we started we thought it would be the first of our 7 summits. I am not even sure if Mt kozicosko counts though??? I guy in town helpped to heal our wounds by telling us that is was -18c on the summit with wind gusts of 140k/h.

harsh. When I lived in Australia, I participated in a 5-day, 5 summits running competition. Mt Kosciuszko was one of them, so I can attest to the real possibility of being able to get up it in nylon shorts and running shoes. Too bad you got shut down.

BTW, Eki got third in the Paris-Roubaix today. thumbs_up.gif

My friend has that exact howling wolf for a tattoo.

As for funny, My brother Hans and I were descending from muir once and got flagged down at about 9,000 feet by a rather peculiar fellow.

He was wearing blue jeans, penny loafers, a members only jacket, and was carrying a huge hard shelled suitcase in one arm and a camcorder in the other. (This was back when camcorders were very large). His suticase had a fresh airline tag on it. He said that he had just landed at sea-tac a few hours earlier on a flight in from somewhere like Georgia or South Carloina. He said that he had hithchiked out to Paradise. He said he was going to the top and wanted an estimate of how long it much longer it would take him.

Climbed N. side of Hood and camped on top with buddies. First light brought a horde of bumblies clawing their way to the summit. Most interesting was the man-beast in a 1 piece with a matching helmet two-tooling the summit snowfield in short sections pausing frequently to gain composure and or breath. We almost fell off laughing so hard. yelrotflmao.gif

Same day descending Cooper Spur ran into foam-hatted jeans and flannel guy climbing in work boots with a tent stake in each hand...

Another time soloing S. Side of Hood to ski in early 80's...Rope of 16 people and a dog coming out of Pearly Gates. They would move one at a time on separate rope (including the dog who belonged to the obvious leader expert). I overheard him 'instructing' his charges as I passed above them on my way up as to the folly of 'that guy soloing.' Boy did he make me feel the fool... rolleyes.gif I had lunch on top and they were still descending to the Hog's Back as I gave them a wide berth on the way down.

Was descending Maude by myself early in the afternoon in total quiet except for the breeze in the valley below - hadn't seen a person all day. Then I hear this tremendously loud noise that surprises me enough that I fall down on my ass on top of the sharp talus and slice up my hands. I looked up and saw an EA-6B, which had apparently rocketed over the col by 7 Fingered Jack and Fernow, fly by me at my altitude about a few hundred yards away and dive down into Phelps creek valley below me. Never been that surprised/startled in my life. It was pretty cool though when I somewhat recovered my senses to see the guys in the cockpit as they screamed by.