Funniest/Strangest ever

chelle

Okay. Beginning of the new quarter, it's all review 'til next week. Nothing too entertaining is going on this here bored... wazzup.gif I need some entertainment boyz and galz!!!

So...what is the funniest/strangest thing that's ever happened to you in the mountains.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiking along a snow covered trail that was melting out in the spring when I came across a downed tree sticking out across the trail. I stepped on it to cross it and it launched me like a catapult about 10 feet in the air and I landed flat on my back. I'm so, so thankful I wasn't staddling it when it went! blush.gif

yelrotflmao.gif Thanks Vegebelay. That helped.

not "really" in the mountains. But I got shut down on a hike up to a temple in Thailand (1000 something stairs). Surrounded by monkeys. They set up a diversion, flanked us from behind, and then stole anything they could grab while I tried to take photos. It was pretty funny once I got down the stairs.

It was after a long pack in, and we set up base camp, geting ready to summit in the morning... We were watching the sun set from a near by ridge, and prepareing for the climb the next day by smoking some dubage and killing a fith of jack... we get up from our inclined seats and my budy, who we call fresh socks, yells out its a race back to camp... he takes two steps and down he goes, but that isn't even as funny as to he did not stop rolling till he was half way down the wrong side of the ridge... The Wop and I made it back to camp and started cooking some grub when Fresh socks strolls in all cut up and bleeding from his arm, he stops and anounces that he is king shit of all the world and then amedatly falls face down in front of his tent and passes out... The wop and I would have payed a million dollars to have a video camera on that trip...

yellaf.gif

not in the wilderness but: friend puts a giant log into firepit, no kindling whatsoever. mysteriously, he keeps about 5 feet away.

"matt you dowsed that log in white gas again didn't you?"

"no I didn't"

log erupts into giant fireball for about 10 minutes then goes out, totally unburnt.

In July of 2001 my friend and I were hiking on our way back to the Bridge Creek trailhead after a successful ascent on the NE Buttress of Goode. We were five miles from the trailhead when......

....we came across a metal locker about 5ftx2ftx2ft, a 5 gallon jug full of water, the largest duffel bag I have ever seen, two garbage bags full of stuff, and two suitcases, both with wheels on them. We wondered, "What the hell is this?" All of a sudden a guy comes around the corner from the trail. It is 85 degrees out and he is wearing a full blown wool sweater and jeans. He is carrying a suitcase and a garbage bag. I kid you not.

We got to talking to him. He was going to Leavenworth on the trails starting from the Bridge Creek trailhead. He had no help. He had no horses. He didn't even have a backpack. He said he would carry something for about a mile, go back, get some more stuff, and then carrying it the mile down the trail. To carry his stuff it took 5 trips.

We were 5 miles from the Bridge Creek trailhead when we were talking to him. It took him one week to reach that distance. He talked as if he was stoned.

I found out later the rangers by Stehekin came across him and they thought he was a walking meth lab. They inspected his stuff and it just was all his worldly possessions. No drugs.

first trip to red rocks, never been to vegas

arrange in J tree to meet carload of friends "at Caesars Palace" not knowing how big it is

arrive Vegas. dis place is big!! we are never going to find them.

park miles away. walk to caeasars. man this place is the size of a small town. how are we gonna find them.

take elevator. door opens 2 floors up: they get on. cantfocus.gif

OR: J tree rest day. im chilling in my tent, my buddy Luc is hanging out by the fireplace.

car drives by slowly. stops. blonde woman is looking at Luc. neither of us know her.

her: "HEY YOU"

Luc: "eh, you mean me?"

her: "You are LOOKING AT ME aren't you?"

Luc: "No, I was just looking at de beau-tee-fool deserrt"

her: "It's OK, I think you are the guy I was looking for!"

Luc: "You werre looking for me? But why?"

Her: "Don't you know who I am?"

Luc: "Well, no, I do not know dat!"

Her: "But you are Robert, right?"

Luc: "Robert? Why do you call me dat? I am Luc! Who da hell arre you, lady?"

Her: Oops! blush.gifblush.gif

Turns out she was looking for some French-Canadian guy named Robert and when she saw our Canadian plates, figured it was us, and when Luc talked to her, she figured it must be him; apparently Robert knew she was supposed to be lookin' for him.... I was killin myself, I thought she was some kook who was going to drag Luc of for a quicky wedding or something.

on mt. washington, oregon: several years ago a guy is coming down the n. ridge with a concerned look on his face.

Guy: "Looks like a two-tool climb up there right now, be careful" (as he trundles a healthy amount of debris down)

Us: "Wha? It's september. we've never even brought 1 axe this time of year"

Guy: "it's all iced up in the notch, we turned back" (there had been a light squall that had dusted the area with snow)

Guy continues down. We continue up. We had some new people with us so were concerned about the conditions.

Near the summit, one of our group asks if we will need ice gear. Turns out this was after passing the area the concerned guy was babbling about without realizing it.

This was in light hikers and bare hands.

Not really too weird, but here goes:

One time while camped at Emmons Flats, as it was getting dark, I was sitting out on the ridgerest, having a glass of snapps and a chipmunk popped out of a crevasse, looked around for a sec. He then ran over real quick to one of the camps, pulled some food out and ate real quick and ran back to his crevasse and jumped in. It all happened in less than a minute.

Mt Baker: The week before a climb I was talking to a friend that just did the route and he was telling me about a old guy in jeans that was high on the route that was handing out Billy Graham flyers and using screwdrivers as an iceaxe...yah right I told my friend.

We went and climbed the route and sure enough there was this guy telling us about religion and giving us flyers at 9000'. Geek_em8.gif

A friend of mine was climbing the Kautz and on the way down he ran into Al Gore, his son and the secret service.

TTT

dalius said:

You sure that big al attempted the Kautz? Figger 8 said he say him at camp muir. Doesn't make much sense. Was it the D.C. maybe? Anybody know if the old bastard made it?

My friend did a carryover, down the DC, well kinda a long story. Al did make it and did it on the DC.

TTT

Few years ago we were on the Bailey Range traverse. Sitting on the summit of Mt Carrie eating our sandwiches, we saw a lone hiker coming up the Fairchild Glacier. We were impressed because no-one comes in from that way and its pretty rugged country down there... Few minutes later we all remarked that Boy, that climber is really movin'! He looked like he was running up the glacier! So here's this lone climber, on a crevassed glacier in remote and rugged country, moving like the wind! We all stopped eating and watched slack-jawed, indeed impressed.

Moments later as the climber got closer we recognized it for what it was - a black bear. That bear ran up that glacier, leaping - I kid you not, I saw it with my own eyes - leaping over the little crevasses, all the way to the top of the next peak over. We saw him quite clearly on the nearby subpeak turn around and look back down his line of ascent. He seemed to catch his breath then turn around and amble down the other side of the mountain.

I was out backpacking getting ready for dinner. I stuck a brick of top ramen into a pot of cold water and it all turned blue. Didn't exactly expect that to happen. Once we boiled it the color went back to normal and we ate it anyway. Turns out that the iodine in the water purification tablits reacted with the starch in the ramen.

SnailEye said:

I was out backpacking getting ready for dinner. I stuck a brick of top ramen into a pot of cold water and it all turned blue. Didn't exactly expect that to happen. Once we boiled it the color went back to normal and we ate it anyway. Turns out that the iodine in the water purification tablits reacted with the starch in the ramen.

mushsmile.gif

Crossing the summit plateau on Baker with my partner in a near white-out (maybe 10 of vis) with howling winds, I'm spacing out on the sastrugi and tinkling of ice crystals when all of a sudden a field mouse goes running past my boots.

My partner says, "Hey! Did you see that!?"

"Yeah."

"Man, I thought I was hallucinating."

We figure the mouse is miles from anything green and will surely die, so we make an effort to catch it. After a few minutes we give up and as we turn to begin heading to the summit, we see a couple of guys standing at the edge of visibility watching us. As we straighten up to proceed, they turn and walk off into the wind and snow.

I can only imagine what they were thinking watching two figures dancing around on all fours on the summit plateau of Mt Baker.

It's not funny, it's not strange, but fuck was it cool...

I was at around 13,000+ on Rainier, Kautz route, at the point where you hit the final slope to the summit. My buddy and I pause to take a breather just as the sun is starting to rise. We look over to the west and what do we see? A freakin' lunar eclipse!! The moon was way down low in the horizon in the west, the sun was way down low in the horizon in the east, and Mt. Rainier was right in the middle of the two, perfectly in line. You know how the shadows of the volcanoes stretch way out across the lansdscape at sunrise/sundown? Well, the moon actually DISAPPEARED directly into the shadow Mt. Rainier was casting, and then slowly creeped back out. cantfocus.gif It was definitely the most spectacular natural phenomena I've ever seen, and to see it from such an insane location with all the weird ice formations and such was a trip. mushsmile.gif I usually bring my camera along on every trip, but decided it wasn't worth the weight that day. Man, am I kicking myself for that one. I guess memories are better than pics though. I'll never forget that.