Funniest/Strangest ever

chelle

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me, my buddy, his wife, and another couple went up to Spectacle Lake early in season many many years back. I had this thing about having to jump, naked, into frozen lakes back then. Well, I'm jumping up and down, nekkid, on the ice, and it's not breaking. So I give up.

My buddy, seeing this, decides that it's ok to walk out onto the frozen lake. Thing was, where he decided to walk, it wasn't. evils3d.gifyellaf.gif

Our teamate on Ama Dablam blew up his tent while he and his parner were boiling water in the vestibule. They had two stoves going at once and one ran out of gas, so the guy tried to change the canister right next to the other one. He didn't get the canister sealed right and gas was spraying out, and before he could do anything the whole tent ignited. It melted in abouy 20 seconds, covering all their stuff in melted nylon. They lost some hair, but otherwise were ok.

I was outside taking a piss, enjoying the moon when this happened...it was the funniest damn thing I have ever seen...ever. Our sherpa friend started crying when he found out how much the tent was worth cry.gif

Summit of Mt. Baker, June 2000:

One of the gapers coming up via the Coleman route in the long train of rope teams was wearing golf shoes. Apparently, he needed the spikes for better traction. What a cheap bastard! He looked so stupid--especially with the gaitors on that made it look like he was wearing dress shoes with spats. Geek_em8.gif

Went into the Pasayten last year, tring to go up the 8 mile area and parked at the andrews creek campground. Walked the 5 or so miles in on the road only to find that the bridge hadn't been rebuilt yet from the fire in august 2001. We spent the first two days without a trail as the river was so high in June. Since it was all burnt everything turned black and our lungs got covered with ash.

After 5 days we get out and hit up the dairy queen on hwy20 before I-5, we heard little kids asking their moms what was wrong with us. One of the funniest things ever!

mushsmile.gif

Was out mountain biking with a friend, we were a coupla miles from the road and a guy wearing a full three-peice suit and tie came running up to us asking if we had seen a possum running around. snaf.gif

We said no and he turned and kept running up the trail.

I still can't figure that one out.

My friend Mike likes to tell the story of a time he was backpacking. He was walking along a trail and looked across a creek to a parallel trail when he saw a completly naked woman running a full gait. She was followed by a goat with a bell. He never got to speak to the young woman to find out why she was running. The story brings to mind ancient Greek mythology (Pan and a wood nymph?).

dalius said:

You sure that big al attempted the Kautz? Figger 8 said he say him at camp muir. Doesn't make much sense. Was it the D.C. maybe? Anybody know if the old bastard made it?

He climbed the Emmons, topped out with his son, his guide and a couple of his SS agents. He carried over and descended the DC route where I met him.

Not to funny but here goes. My friend and I where taking esar course 2 and set up camp about 8:00 p.m. (Thats a 12 hour day of bushwacking) My parnter asks me If i want the backcountry gourmet scrambled eggs for dinner or apple crisp. I say apple crisp, he says he wants apple crisp so we agree to mix the two. Noithing like scramby eggs and apple crisp. Where not really friends anymore but whenever we see each other around campus all we have to say is crambly eggs and apple crisp and we both crack up.

or

Parnter and I are hiking along a trail we here a lady say "stop, stop, stop" Its getting louder sounds like shes talking to kids. Turn the corner to she her with her pants around her ankles squating ooo.gif

there was a hilarious thread around here about people getting caught taking a smash about a year ago here (it kindof degraded into dog owners musing about how their dogs like to snack on the slash). that one of that mountaineer lady in the large group with all the headlamps on her was priceless! yellaf.gif

Stefan said:

All of a sudden a guy comes around the corner from the trail. It is 85 degrees out and he is wearing a full blown wool sweater and jeans. He is carrying a suitcase and a garbage bag. I kid you not.

We got to talking to him. He was going to Leavenworth on the trails starting from the Bridge Creek trailhead.

HOLY SHIT!!! I saw that guy too, only a few WEEKS later on the trail down from Buck Creek Pass about 5 miles from Trinity. He was on his way out finally but wasn't going to make it that day (it was late). He asked me if I had any cigarette rolling paper. It seems he had run out. Right... hahaha.gif

Let's see other funny stuff...

-falling sod on Eldorado, yes sod

-my beautiful collection of "wilderness latrine" photographs

-eric8 not being able to correctly pronounce Shuksan, EVER!! (shu shushcan shu shu shush kan....)

-The time the pretty blonde chick in a red jeep showed up out of nowhere and drove us all the way home (3 hours!!) when I lost my keys on Sahale

-The time I managed to get completely turned around in the fog on Tomyhoi and descended all the way to Yellow Aster Lakes before I realized.

- Hiking in the Olympics last August when I hear a huge series of crashing noises coming from the hillside above me about 50 ft away. I had seen a bear only a half hour before, and my first thought was that this was another, larger bear. But whole trees were falling over! What was this, a dinosaur?! Soon I found out as the mystery burst out of the woods and on to the trail a few feet in front of me, coming to a gentle stop. It was a huge iceblock the size of a car! It had fallen out of a little glacier several hundred feet above me, and damn near smooshed me on the trail.

- Hiking down from Island Peak in Nepal with my buddy Nick. We're trying to pass this sherpa guy who is herding his dozen yaks down the valley in front of us. Trouble is, the trail isn't very wide, there's a cliff on the one side, and everytime we try and filter our way through the yaks he yells and whips 'em to speed them up, blocking us from passing. We finally get through by running inbetween the yaks, all the while the guy is pushing them faster and faster, yelling in Nepali, with this big grin on his face. We finally get through and round the next corner, resuming our original pace, when we look back up and see the dozen yaks runnning at full speed with this red faced, yelling guy driving them on, trying to smoosh us or something. There was one of those really long foot bridges coming up, and we didn't want to share it with a dozen yaks, no matter how strong it looked, so we ran and ran, crossing the bridge just before the yaks got to it. We lost them in the next village 5 minutes later.

- But the strangest yet happened while Nick and I were trying to cross a 17,000ft pass in Tibet, carrying too much gear and far from acclimatized, walking at a snails pace. The sun was starting to set, and the top of the pass wasn't even in sight, although we figured it to be close. Exhausted, we flopped our packs down and started to set up camp, when this Tibetan fellow comes RUNNING up with a pack equally as huge as ours and smoking a cigarette. "That bastard!" I thought. I could barely breath as it was, and this guy is puffing a Marlboro! We hadn't seen another soul in two days, and were a bit surprised. Speaking out of the language section in our travel book we learned he was going to visit his uncles mother or something like that in the village 4 days away, and that the top of the pass was just around the corner, maybe a half hour away, with a lake and good camping only 300 meters down the other side. So with this guy following our every footstep, we shouldered the packs again and set off. We reached the top of the pass at sunset, and looked down the other side to see the lake at least a two hours hike away, to which our exhausted minds said "screw that." (The only map we had was the drawing in the travel book, we didn't know where this crap was) We set up camp at the top of the pass with this Tibetan dude watching us the whole time, like he was watching TV. Annoyed by the staring and pissed at his poor grasp of locations, we tried to shoo him away. Especially since it got down to -20 or so at night and he was only wearing a t-shirt. Eventually, when it was totally dark, and figuring he was expecting to stay with us in our tent, invited him in and gave him some bread. We "chatted" for awhile the best we could given the language barrier and then he suddenly left, walking down the other side of the pass in just his t-shirt, to spend the night god knows where freezing his hiney off. Now that was weird. confused.gif

Lambone said:

Our sherpa friend started crying when he found out how much the tent was worth cry.gif

You mean your guide? shocked.gif

meganerd said:

Stefan said:

All of a sudden a guy comes around the corner from the trail. It is 85 degrees out and he is wearing a full blown wool sweater and jeans. He is carrying a suitcase and a garbage bag. I kid you not.

We got to talking to him. He was going to Leavenworth on the trails starting from the Bridge Creek trailhead.

HOLY SHIT!!! I saw that guy too, only a few WEEKS later on the trail down from Buck Creek Pass about 5 miles from Trinity. He was on his way out finally but wasn't going to make it that day (it was late). He asked me if I had any cigarette rolling paper. It seems he had run out. Right... hahaha.gif

You know I heard about a guy once with a whole bunch of suitcases hiking in the North Cascades. He would walk 500 feet or so with one suitcase, walk back and repeat the trail with the next suitcase, and so on. Apparently he was in some sort of mid life crisis and on a leave of absence from his wife. Some park rangers went up to check him out and see if he was sane, all was well.

Same dude, ya think? confused.gif ALL THE WAY FROM BRIDGE CREEK!?!?! shocked.gifhahaha.gif

I usually stay out of the mountains. Considering the number of times I have walked up to a wall without thinking bergschrund (one fall into but only up to shoulders) or arrived at a notch to belatedly notice that I was only standing on cornice, I would figure God keeps me around for amusement value if Joe Simpson didn't already seem to have the honor.

A slightly strange thing happened to us in Potrero a few weeks ago when we were given some beer by some Mexican guys who wanted to sell us mota. One of them asked for our guidebook to roll a cigarette on and later we noticed he hadn't given it back. The following evening we were walking through the streets of Hidalgo and a crowd of girls started yelling at us and we went over and they gave the guidebook back.

You mean your guide?

eeehhh...no. I mean our Sherpa friend who was part of our team, but by no means our guide. Acctually he started showing signs of HACE at 18,000ft and had to go back down. Strong dude though and super fun, all he would do all day was listen to my walkman and look at himself in the mirror all day, but a great guy non-the-less!

MysticNacho said:

meganerd said:

Stefan said:

You know I heard about a guy once with a whole bunch of suitcases hiking in the North Cascades. He would walk 500 feet or so with one suitcase, walk back and repeat the trail with the next suitcase, and so on. Apparently he was in some sort of mid life crisis and on a leave of absence from his wife. Some park rangers went up to check him out and see if he was sane, all was well.

Same dude, ya think? confused.gif ALL THE WAY FROM BRIDGE CREEK!?!?! shocked.gifhahaha.gif

He did start at Bridge Creek. And then somebody told me they heard it from another person that they guy actually made it to Leavenworth.